Preview Round 5, 2017: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles , 23 April 2017, 4.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm not sure. I think we are yearning for an intercept marker.

That should be Kaiden Brand, give him continuity and confidence to go for his marks.

Naming him on the bench this week and naming Burgoyne at CHB must be a genuine piss take.

Burton is another with intercept marking capacity.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

After watching the brisbane v western bulldogs game, all i am hoping for is a 4qtrs effort like the lions did today,
wow the amount of changes chris fagan has made had no effect on there desire and will for the contest very impressive from there kids.

ill be there with bells on at 4.40 tomorrow keeping a close watch on 2nd efforts and gut running buy the boys.
really should get the win here, 10 years since they beat us at the g.

The Fitz b.o.g with 5, too late to get him in tomorrow?
I see him like the Jonathon Simpkin kind of player.

Will do well in VFL, but AFL is a standard too high.

He was/is useful depth when we're playing well, but while we're struggling and needing a rebuild, I find playing him to be a waste.

Here's the goals and best for the match and it's good to see some young names.

Goal Kickers: J. Fitzpatrick 5, T. Vickery 3, M. Lewis 2, W. Hams 2, C. Jones 2, N. Evans, T. Miles, M. Warren, J. Cousins, A. Brolic, D. Willsmore
Best Players: J. Fitzpatrick, M. Pittonet, B. Whitecross, T. Miles, D. Mirra, R. Schoenmakers

After watching the brisbane v western bulldogs game, all i am hoping for is a 4qtrs effort like the lions did today,
wow the amount of changes chris fagan has made had no effect on there desire and will for the contest very impressive from there kids.

ill be there with bells on at 4.40 tomorrow keeping a close watch on 2nd efforts and gut running buy the boys.
really should get the win here, 10 years since they beat us at the g.
Didn't see the game myself, but didn't the Lions fall away badly in the 2nd half? It's not too dissimilar to what we've shown this season.

I see him like the Jonathon Simpkin kind of player.

Will do well in VFL, but AFL is a standard too high.

He was/is useful depth when we're playing well, but while we're struggling and needing a rebuild, I find playing him to be a waste.

Here's the goals and best for the match and it's good to see some young names.

Goal Kickers: J. Fitzpatrick 5, T. Vickery 3, M. Lewis 2, W. Hams 2, C. Jones 2, N. Evans, T. Miles, M. Warren, J. Cousins, A. Brolic, D. Willsmore
Best Players: J. Fitzpatrick, M. Pittonet, B. Whitecross, T. Miles, D. Mirra, R. Schoenmakers
Fitz played a great game, at this point I think it's fair to say out of all of the rucks on our list he's the fastest and best around the ground, possibly the best mark too.
His kicking is a real weakness but his return of 5 goals today included some great ground level work and real turns of speed

He may struggle to be more than a borderline AFL standard player but given his age he could certainly be useful depth for the next few years, could also be reaching that point where he makes the grade

That should be Kaiden Brand, give him continuity and confidence to go for his marks.

Naming him on the bench this week and naming Burgoyne at CHB must be a genuine piss take.

Burton is another with intercept marking capacity.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We don't have anyone with Sicily's skill set to play in defence.
Yes he's a good forward, I have never disagreed with that...I think, but if he could defend he would be an elite HBF for another 8 years.
I have definitely knocked him in the past but if this move comes off it will be a master stroke in conjunction with Burton as two who can control a game by foot as well as provide rebounding attack with penetrating kicking to leading tall forwards.
It will all come together before the end of the season with 2018 firmly in the sights of the Hawks.
I'm confident of it.

We don't have anyone with Sicily's skill set to play in defence.
Yes he's a good forward, I have never disagreed with that...I think, but if he could defend he would be an elite HBF for another 8 years.
I have definitely knocked him in the past but if this move comes off it will be a master stroke in conjunction with Burton as two who can control a game by foot as well as provide rebounding attack with penetrating kicking to leading tall forwards.
It will all come together before the end of the season with 2018 firmly in the sights of the Hawks.
I'm confident of it.
I see Sicily as primarily a forward. He is a confidence player that loves to kick a goal and I don't think that it should be squashed by having him in the backline.

Fitz played a great game, at this point I think it's fair to say out of all of the rucks on our list he's the fastest and best around the ground, possibly the best mark too.
His kicking is a real weakness but his return of 5 goals today included some great ground level work and real turns of speed

He may struggle to be more than a borderline AFL standard player but given his age he could certainly be useful depth for the next few years, could also be reaching that point where he makes the grade
You're probably right, I think he will develop a little more due to the fact he stagnated his first few years when the demons where poor off the field.(and on)

If BB can maintain last weeks form it's less of an issue but rounds 1-3 we really missed ceglar work around the ground.

You're probably right, I think he will develop a little more due to the fact he stagnated his first few years when the demons where poor off the field.(and on)

If BB can maintain last weeks form it's less of an issue but rounds 1-3 we really missed ceglar work around the ground.
Two biggest issues with Fitz
Concussions - by far my biggest worry with/for him
Kicking

I like him and would be happy for him to be playing because at the moment he looks up and about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice comments Gralin. I was there too and thought he was good. But his kicking at times was really below standard and that, to me, indicates he will only be a stand-in player for the seniors.

In the first half the talls Vickery, Fitzy and Pitto all played really well; which is really nice considering that's where our perceived weaknesses are.

I'd also like to add a vote for Whitecross. He was consistently good today. I have no idea why he's not getting a regular game in the ones.

Just because Burton can naturally adapt his game style doesn't mean that translates to Sic, I think Clarko done the right thing by seeing what Sic can do if asked to play the role as a defender and I think we have all found out. Sic isn't adequate playing a defensive role, it's not his mindset and I get the feeling he almost mentally disengages a little bit from that role. You look at Burton and Sic as individuals and they are vastly different, one is a western suburbs kid with a cheekiness and thuggery about him, a bit of a rascal, the other is a softly spoken and more reserved and maybe more coachable young kid. Footy clubs are made up of all sorts, Sic loves to attack, he loves to puff his chest and strut out on the ground and be a bit of a rat bag, asking him to completely change his mindset and go against his instincts as not only a footballer but as a person isn't going to help him develop into a star for us.

Sic looks our most dangerous option forward, lets use him there.
Fair point regarding Burton, but was just using him as an example. Kid looks like he could play wherever he likes!

Dont necessarily agree on Sicily though. I think he could adapt his game and become a very good half back flanker. Yes, he currently looks more suited as a forward but he has talent to burn too.

I'm ok with Clarko trying these players in different roles to see what they can offer.

Nice comments Gralin. I was there too and thought he was good. But his kicking at times was really below standard and that, to me, indicates he will only be a stand-in player for the seniors.

In the first half the talls Vickery, Fitzy and Pitto all played really well; which is really nice considering that's where our perceived weaknesses are.

I'd also like to add a vote for Whitecross. He was consistently good today. I have no idea why he's not getting a regular game in the ones.
At his age they may feel that Swiss won't be part of the next premiership team based on the roles he can play at AFL level

I don't like typing that because I would love to see the bloke get a flag but it's possible

his leadership at box hill is invaluable, he is the kind of bloke that will reinforce the culture and encourage the kids to play well

he could help usher in the next crop while missing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back