Review Round 5, 2017 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• 1 Ben Keays

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2 Ryan Harwood

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 4 Ryan Bastinac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 Mitch Robinson

Votes: 94 62.3%
  • 6 Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 9 Dayne Beams

Votes: 98 64.9%
  • 10 Daniel Rich

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • 12 Stefan Martin

Votes: 61 40.4%
  • 13 Jarrod Berry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 Dayne Zorko

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • 17 Claye Beams

• 18 Nick Robertson

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • 20 Cedric Cox

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 23 Josh Schache

• 24 Liam Dawson

• 25 Daniel Mcstay

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • 28 Lewis Taylor

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • 30 Eric Hipwood

Votes: 66 43.7%
  • 31 Harris Andrews

• 32 Sam Mayes

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • 35 Ryan Lester

• 38 Tom Rockliff

Votes: 103 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I am happy to stick with the 2 talls. I think the game as a whole is going more down the path of pace and mobility.

I think Port especially is a team that we should have a small forwardline against. They have a pretty quick defence.

I think Port especially is a team that we should have a small forwardline against. They have a pretty quick defence.
I am sure we will stick with our 2 talls but i would be surprised if there was another tall addition. Wouldn't even consider Bell again yet. We have the swinger in McStay who can run through there if required. But he is much better in defence.

a few players made stupid errors C Beams play on, Rich's kick out, McStay's handball etc

I can forgive them they had ups and downs
I am all for players being given 2-3 games in a row although sorry Bastanic
Your a twos player now ;(
I rather the young kids get a game your had a few this year and it's your second club.
You can expect more

Was lots of positives out of the match

Although we needed to put up a better fight when teams get on top
Just on the Claye B play on.
Did the Player that he tried to pass it to call for it.
If so in my book he is half to blame .
Pretty dumb moment by all involved.
Those are the moments you settle and take the shot.

It was Zorko and I'm pretty sure he did. I made the comment at the time. He's not always the smartest footballer and should've calmed Claye and told him to take the shot. Claye still wears the blame though.

It was a bad mistake but they followed up with a great tackle. The bulldogs player dropped it cold but play on.
This made this play even more frustrating that the initial brain explosions from C Beams and Zorko.

Zorks is the type of player that can get very emotionally invested in a game, and I suspect got a bit carried away with the decision to call for the handball. Really, it was a 45 degree shot about 5 or 10m out for Claye - The blanket rule should be no cutesy s**t if you have a gettable set shot from within the 20m arc.

Zorko has become a better player than Dangerfield this season IMO. Maybe biased but Zorko should definitely be AA if he keeps this form up at the very least.

His pace from a standing start is a massive bonus. Very dangerous. Every time he starts running people get excited and I think he's been the spark for some of our good runs this season.

Beams never gets caught with the ball. Even when the oppo players get a good tackle locking his arms up he has the strength and ability to push out and shrug them off.

Zorks is the type of player that can get very emotionally invested in a game, and I suspect got a bit carried away with the decision to call for the handball. Really, it was a 45 degree shot about 5 or 10m out for Claye - The blanket rule should be no cutesy s**t if you have a gettable set shot from within the 20m arc.

You can imagine what would've been running through Claye's mind at that split-second too; been a frenetic few minutes of footy, suddenly one of the team leaders (Zorko) screams by and calls for it - brain fade to give it to Zorko, but Beams' first game back, so you can't blame him for not being entirely brimming with confidence and self-belief to just wave off Zorko, take a breath, take his time and slot it.

Been playing defence in the ressies this year. Racked up about 30 touches and 15 marks last week

Good to know. He didn't look good down back yesterday. Possibly a different role to what he has been playing in the Ressies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can imagine what would've been running through Claye's mind at that split-second too; been a frenetic few minutes of footy, suddenly one of the team leaders (Zorko) screams by and calls for it - brain fade to give it to Zorko, but Beams' first game back, so you can't blame him for not being entirely brimming with confidence and self-belief to just wave off Zorko, take a breath, take his time and slot it.
2nd game back, massive brain fade

The only thing worse than our second half was listening to Craig Huggins in the after match function. The things he says are just simply stupid or completely disrespectful. Told Gardiner that we didn't need him in the first half then completely ignored Harwood who was also in the room... only made mention of it right at the very end.
And continually telling everyone the next time we will be back in Melbourne will be round 10 and we are playing Essendon. No we are playing Collingwood

Trying to be positive here - Keays, McStay, Taylor - WOWZERS. Didn't expect that from either of them (except maybe Taylor, as we've seen him jump up a level this season). If Keays and McStay can continue to produce at that level this season, that would be awesome!
Robertson, Andrews, McStay played really well as did Mayes. Did a very good job at neutralising Boyd and some of the other danger WBD forwards. "Boyd will kick 8"...yeah, get f**ked Barrett.

Rich continues to really roll up his sleeves and get into the match every week now, even if it takes him some time to do so, he isn't waving the white flag and going invisible like we have often seen in years gone by from him. It's really fantastic to see. Perhaps Fagan has really leant on him to put out more on the field given his experience. I'd nominate him most improved player so far, but he's got stiff competition from Mayes, Robertson, Taylor....and if Keays and McStay if they can keep playing at this level too. Its incredible...five games into the season and we're seeing this. Imagine what it could be like by 15 or 20 games in? The amount of improvement we have seen in some players this year, over such a short period, is staggering. Hats off to McLuggage too - had an average game last week and this week he was a different beast all together. That guy is going to be a WEAPON. Right up there with vintage Pendlebury in his prime, in a couple years I reckon.

Good signs from Cox and Berry. They should be persisted with. Great to see Hipwood and Schache working their way back into this match a lot better than last week. Lester and Harwood played ok too. Sure, ideally they shouldnt be best 22, but we don't have the cattle yet, and in the meanwhile they are serviceable. Claye Beams also. But Bastinac....wow. Gotta give him another week just to see if it was an anomaly...but if he stinks it up again, he can be banished to the 2s together with Belly and Bewick until the end of time as far as I am concerned. Dawson...probably needs more time in the ressies. I'd be inclined to give Witherden a shot. Some players, simply play better and it all "clicks" when they play in the seniors. Witherden is playing well in the ressies, and as long as he is match-fit, I see no reason in holding him back from giving him a run of a few games in the 1s. Imagine if he came on just as strong as our other draftees?

Additionally, we really need Matho back and in the midfield, I know he might not be 100% from his injury yet, but by the time he is, Basti may very well have shown us his hand and it will time to stick with him or drop him (and in comes Matho). Paparone/Walker deserve a run also.
Witherden has done a hammy unfortunately

The dogs missed a fair few sitters in Q1 though. By end of Q1 they should've been 5 goals ahead based on gameplay. Change that, and it's a different game. Frankly, I was seriously concerned in Q1 - was waiting for the minute the dogs slotted one and followed it up with another 4. We looked beaten in Q1.

So I thought we were smashed for a quarter, smashed them for a quarter, battled to maintain without ever really threatening for a quarter and a half, and then sat down and watched them run in a few gimmes...

Based on gameplay - I think we were lucky to be in it as much as we were.
But we were in it and when previously it has been us kicking like crap we jump down on our players. Bad kicking is bad footy pure & simple We kicked straight and played good footy on this occasion.

Ok I was a McStay basher last week and I will cop my whack this week. Best game i reckon I have seen him play( bar his crap handball in the last quarter). Probably keep him down back.
Dont know if anyone has mentioned it but I was waiting for that to happen in the last half. Going in to this game the bulldogs had 2 extra days recovery to us and that is massive in this day and age. Walked away happier than any other loses. Still stupid dumb acts and mistakes that cost us dearly ( C beams, dont know what you were thinking. That was when we needed a cool head and a steadying goal.) but I am more upbeat this week than the last 4 weeks.
Umpiring crap. Basically with our game now the AFL does not have enough quality umpires who can umpire and they just dont have the feel for the game.

Yeah okay. Fair enough. I think we overrate Gardiner though. Anyway, yeah Dawson had a shocker. I don't rate him. Anyone, doubt he will be dropped after one game.

For me....
Out: Bastinac and Berry
In: Paparone and Walker
Think you might be on the mark. Will need a bigger body down back for the Power talls and Pap's provids another runner to link up play like Taylor has been doing.

To put it simply .
Love what Fagan is doing for our team. Key players playing back to their best and improving.
Combinations of players working for each other.
The Rocky - Taylor combo, its been a few years since these two have worked together so well, back to their best.
Good signs the team is playing together and presenting and giving options when required.

Play like that every week we will win some games .
Play like the Richmond game and we get flogged.
The boys almost pulled off the upset of the season.
Not bad at all .
Can we beat Port ,
Bloody oath we can .

HUN reporting an incident (with video) being investigated by the AFL in relation of our Asian runner being racially abused during the game.

There are some ignorant dumb ducks out there still..

Back