Review Round 5, 2018: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, 5 May 2018, 2pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
As always hh great report, thanks. As you are probably aware, I am hoping for a big future from Nash; with his Gaelic and rugby background, and being such a fast mover for a guy his size, I think he could be a very important player for us in the future. I would appreciate how you think he is tracking, and if you think he might get a crack later this year? Thanks.

I enjoyed a lovely stress free afternoon at BH. The BHH had 11 HFC players and 12 BHH players who all contributed during the game. Sandringham had 16 St Kilda players and 7 Sandy players. Lovell didn't play. It was very pleasing to see CJ, Hanrahan, Heatherley, Jones, Lovell, Moore and Ross were all at the game supporting their team mates.

The VFL Match Centre reads:
Box Hill Hawks 5.4-34 8.6-54 13.8-86 18.11-119
Sandringham 2.2-14 4.4-28 5.5-35 8.7-55
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: B. Kilpatrick 3, J. Ceglar 2, J. O''Rourke 2, T. Maloney 2, W. Murphy 2, C. Nash 2, R. Schoenmakers, M. Lewis, A. Moore, B. Evans, L. Mackie
Best Players: M. O''Donnell, A. Moore, M. Pittonet, B. Evans, J. O''Rourke, R. Schoenmakers
Sandringham
Goal Kickers: J. Sinclair 2, J. Lonie 2, E. Phillips, T. Lamb, D. McKenzie, J. Battle
Best Players: B. Rice, J. Sinclair, D. Joyce, J. Lonie, D. McKenzie, K. Answerth

The only down side to the game was Ceglar and Glass were reported. Ceglar applied a strong tackle and after the whistle was blown pushed/threw the player away. Three players remonstrated with him and he made a light weight connection to a player's face. The player did not flinch and the hit could/should be deemed insufficient force. Glass laid a late front on bump to a player. His arms were outstretched and I thought the impact could have been to the upper chest and possibly rising to the neck. The player was knocked to the ground however he got straight up and I didn't see him feel where he was hit.

Brand - Beat his man, backed his judgement and rebounded well. He took some good marks and was good apart from a couple of poor kicks.
Ceglar - Competed very well for his first game in more than a year. He took some very strong marks and some of his hit outs to advantage were very good.
Glass - Played a good attacking game and his pace and kicking to advantage were a feature.
Lewis - Another impressive performance. His game was more about quality than a large number of possessions. In the second quarter he provided a highlight when he gathered a contested ball off the ground at full pace and fed it off to a team mate. He took some strong marks and certainly is an exciting talent.
Miles - A really good team game. Linked well and on a number of occasions he ran back hard and spoiled far bigger opponents.
Mirra - Played a very good game. His reading of the play and decision making were first class and he was strong in the contest. He showed he has benefited from playing in the AFL and looked a class above.
Nash - More about quality than quantity. He competed well in the air and showed his pace on the ground. He has a terrific side step.
O'Rourke - Another good game. His ability to break clear and hand ball cleanly to advantage were a feature. He kicked two very good goals.
Pittonet - Competed really well against Longer who tried to physically challenge him. With strength he won some contested balls and distributed to his team mates.
Shoenmakers - Led up strongly and was only let down by two missed goals from within 30 metres.
Willsmore - Played a good team game. I was impressed by a couple of spoils when he ran back with the flight of the ball.

The BHH players contributed well. Mitch O'Donnell is playing great football in the back line. Hams is a terrific competitor. Brolic took some good contested marks. Moore is a hard ball get beast. Murphy is elusive and dangerous around goal and applies forward pressure. Maloney has a good work rate. Adduci was injured early and missed the second half. Mackie showed good closing speed to spoil and linked well. Billy Evans is having a good year with his ability to keep his feet and good composure. Nick Evans competes strongly and his use of the ball by foot is usually very good. Kilpatrick runs hard and wins a lot of contested and loose balls. Horner with limited game time competed really well blocking and tapping to advantage and his ball security was good.
Great write up mate ta for that

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I enjoyed a lovely stress free afternoon at BH. The BHH had 11 HFC players and 12 BHH players who all contributed during the game. Sandringham had 16 St Kilda players and 7 Sandy players. Lovell didn't play. It was very pleasing to see CJ, Hanrahan, Heatherley, Jones, Lovell, Moore and Ross were all at the game supporting their team mates.

The VFL Match Centre reads:
Box Hill Hawks 5.4-34 8.6-54 13.8-86 18.11-119
Sandringham 2.2-14 4.4-28 5.5-35 8.7-55
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: B. Kilpatrick 3, J. Ceglar 2, J. O''Rourke 2, T. Maloney 2, W. Murphy 2, C. Nash 2, R. Schoenmakers, M. Lewis, A. Moore, B. Evans, L. Mackie
Best Players: M. O''Donnell, A. Moore, M. Pittonet, B. Evans, J. O''Rourke, R. Schoenmakers
Sandringham
Goal Kickers: J. Sinclair 2, J. Lonie 2, E. Phillips, T. Lamb, D. McKenzie, J. Battle
Best Players: B. Rice, J. Sinclair, D. Joyce, J. Lonie, D. McKenzie, K. Answerth

The only down side to the game was Ceglar and Glass were reported. Ceglar applied a strong tackle and after the whistle was blown pushed/threw the player away. Three players remonstrated with him and he made a light weight connection to a player's face. The player did not flinch and the hit could/should be deemed insufficient force. Glass laid a late front on bump to a player. His arms were outstretched and I thought the impact could have been to the upper chest and possibly rising to the neck. The player was knocked to the ground however he got straight up and I didn't see him feel where he was hit.

Brand - Beat his man, backed his judgement and rebounded well. He took some good marks and was good apart from a couple of poor kicks.
Ceglar - Competed very well for his first game in more than a year. He took some very strong marks and some of his hit outs to advantage were very good.
Glass - Played a good attacking game and his pace and kicking to advantage were a feature.
Lewis - Another impressive performance. His game was more about quality than a large number of possessions. In the second quarter he provided a highlight when he gathered a contested ball off the ground at full pace and fed it off to a team mate. He took some strong marks and certainly is an exciting talent.
Miles - A really good team game. Linked well and on a number of occasions he ran back hard and spoiled far bigger opponents.
Mirra - Played a very good game. His reading of the play and decision making were first class and he was strong in the contest. He showed he has benefited from playing in the AFL and looked a class above.
Nash - More about quality than quantity. He competed well in the air and showed his pace on the ground. He has a terrific side step.
O'Rourke - Another good game. His ability to break clear and hand ball cleanly to advantage were a feature. He kicked two very good goals.
Pittonet - Competed really well against Longer who tried to physically challenge him. With strength he won some contested balls and distributed to his team mates.
Shoenmakers - Led up strongly and was only let down by two missed goals from within 30 metres.
Willsmore - Played a good team game. I was impressed by a couple of spoils when he ran back with the flight of the ball.

The BHH players contributed well. Mitch O'Donnell is playing great football in the back line. Hams is a terrific competitor. Brolic took some good contested marks. Moore is a hard ball get beast. Murphy is elusive and dangerous around goal and applies forward pressure. Maloney has a good work rate. Adduci was injured early and missed the second half. Mackie showed good closing speed to spoil and linked well. Billy Evans is having a good year with his ability to keep his feet and good composure. Nick Evans competes strongly and his use of the ball by foot is usually very good. Kilpatrick runs hard and wins a lot of contested and loose balls. Horner with limited game time competed really well blocking and tapping to advantage and his ball security was good.

Great write up HH. DeTailed and informative as always.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Glass got him in the face. High, late and careless. Didn't see Ceglar's incident.

oLGTWh8.png

pX5MkyF.png

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Looks like a hell of a game from Brand. A little contrary to reports. Any observers able to offer insight?

I wasn't paying close attention as I was there with talkative relatives this week, but I thought he played well. Well enough for one of my Zebras supporting relies to ask me who number 59 was. Of the Box Hill players, I thought Kilpatrick played really well. Seemed to be everywhere in the last quarter and snagged a few goals.

Overall a solid effort form our boys, thought Sandy would put up a better fight actually.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Thanks Grimlock.

Disappointing numbers from Glass, Nash and Willsmore.

Might be more related to the team we played, hard to have big numbers in defence when your opposition scores 55 points. Would be interesting to hear from someone at the ground?

The stats don't always tell the full story. My impression was the quality of the possessions for Glass, Nash and Willsmore was generally good. I didn't note who were their opponents however I was happy with their one on ones.

Thaihawk, it's early days for Nash however he has certainly improved since last year when he played in the back line. It's been interesting watching him playing forward this year. It's a difficult challenge for an international rookie but he seems to be playing his role well. He is a very talented athlete and has shown something in every game. He's fast, strong, well balanced and seems to read the play reasonably well at this early stage in learning about the game. He hits the packs hard and is competitive. He turns 20 next month and at 197cms and 92 kgs he is certainly an exciting prospect. I think we are capable of a top four finish so that could make a debut unlikely however the club made be tempted to have a look at him and give him a taste. Glass continues to improve and loves to compete strongly and use his pace. We could have two Irish stars and Lewis looks a real chance.

Go Hawks

Tents

Draftee
Nov 8, 2006
Might be more related to the team we played, hard to have big numbers in defence when your opposition scores 55 points. Would be interesting to hear from someone at the ground?

The stats posted by Grimlock show Sandringham had 6 more inside 50s than Box Hill

Great highlights show the unselfish play which was a feature. You can see how good Cegs was with two big marks after missing for more than a year, the movement of Nash to mark and goal and the talent of Lewis marking and ground play then a handball. The first goal and handball by JOR is a sample of how good he is looking. Murphy and Kilpatrick were busy.

The stats indicate how well the defense played restricting Sandy to 15 scoring shots from 47 inside 50 metre entries.

Brand did some ok things and was quite vocal trying to lead the defence. But he made some poor skill errors. That kick to mirra in the highlights was just not on. Absolutely no need for it to the extent that Chris Newman singled him out at 3/4 time and said "that kick...that is not how we play". Lo and behold come the last quarter more of the same from KB with a similar poor choice and poor execution. Dropped an easy chest mark up back too. Looked scratchy as he always tends to so needs a run of games to get confidence back.

Good to read you saw that one handed pick up from Lewis and handball. Very special. I was hoping he might be able to hold his body a bit better against the bigger bodies but might be a year off being able to crash like we want them to do at the top level. A nice prospect.

Though Miles was good looked to be more of a mid role for him.

Jor was very prolific and handball happy as usual but perhaps a bit more creative.

Mirra very solid.

Glass had a quiet first half then got going. That great run through the middle a highlight. He still cant quite influence a contest defensively when his tackling target isn't front and square.

Nash was ok up fwd up the north end but was a bit lost up the scoreboard end. He looks a mid to me. Runs like the wind great size. Still some way off.

Billy longer is actually now quite a big unit. I expected Pitto to have the advantage but he didn't. Not a bad contest but Pitto still needs to go up a level.

Cegs was great in patches. Strong marking and some very good tapwork. Good recruit to have for us.

Willsmore quieter than usual.

Sandy were a genuine rabble. No...worse. no system.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
The stats don't always tell the full story. My impression was the quality of the possessions for Glass, Nash and Willsmore was generally good. I didn't note who were their opponents however I was happy with their one on ones.

Thaihawk, it's early days for Nash however he has certainly improved since last year when he played in the back line. It's been interesting watching him playing forward this year. It's a difficult challenge for an international rookie but he seems to be playing his role well. He is a very talented athlete and has shown something in every game. He's fast, strong, well balanced and seems to read the play reasonably well at this early stage in learning about the game. He hits the packs hard and is competitive. He turns 20 next month and at 197cms and 92 kgs he is certainly an exciting prospect. I think we are capable of a top four finish so that could make a debut unlikely however the club made be tempted to have a look at him and give him a taste. Glass continues to improve and loves to compete strongly and use his pace. We could have two Irish stars and Lewis looks a real chance.

Go Hawks

Thanks hh. Greatly appreciated.

The good thing about Brand is he is trying to get involved in our attacking forays. He is getting more positive about his choices rather than the safe option. I dont mind the mistakes if he is improving that aspect of his game. We know he can defend.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great highlights show the unselfish play which was a feature. You can see how good Cegs was with two big marks after missing for more than a year, the movement of Nash to mark and goal and the talent of Lewis marking and ground play then a handball. The first goal and handball by JOR is a sample of how good he is looking. Murphy and Kilpatrick were busy.

The stats indicate how well the defense played restricting Sandy to 15 scoring shots from 47 inside 50 metre entries.

yeah, that quick handball from Orouke... under heat

yeah... those marks from Lewis and Nash... (liked that Glass kicked to deliver to the latter)

- How was the long look that Mira gave to Brand when Brand set him up with a pass on top of his head so he could be marked over.

- feel so sorry for BHH players (though also jealous too). When they get 30 possessions and double figure clearances and yet not fully living their dreams.

The good thing about Brand is he is trying to get involved in our attacking forays. He is getting more positive about his choices rather than the safe option. I dont mind the mistakes if he is improving that aspect of his game. We know he can defend.
He was clearly looking to play a rebounding role which agree is great. He does not seem blessed with the art of knowing when to pull the trigger on a risky kick and being able to execute like the guys that play this role successfully do. It is about game feel. Sic and Burton might have 1 howler a game at the top level. Brand had a few against a poor side at the next level down. Shows he has work to do to make it up at the next level. His main competition at the top level Frawley is poor at it so he isn't all that far behind his direct competition in reality.

Back