Review Round 5, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The 50 against Zorko was one of the most ridiculous. bizarre pieces of selective umpiring I've ever seen .

Berry got slammed to the ground and then shortly after, persistently buffetted, elbowed and pushed

I think Zorko was not only justified but obliged to come to the aid of his team-mate. In doing so, I thought he actually showed restraint. The so called "strangle" was nothing more than a mild push. As far as I'm concerned the umpire adjudicated on the person (Zorko) rather than the act.

Every week in every game, players react to percieved injustices to team-mates often going way over the top. I can't remember the last time a 50 was dished out in these circumstances. Usually the umps show a bit of common sense and just tell the players to "cool it"

Not this time.

"50 Metres!!!"....just like that.

Come off it umpire.

Along with the Hodge free kick, these two decisions in effect decided the game.

You are right it was puzzling as it seemed the reversal free should have gone to Berry for his treatment afterwards.

However, when the game is on the line and you have been copping a hard go with the umps why would you put your hands anywhere near the throat or neck of the opposition. Zorko is to blame on this as he gave the umpire the opportunity to blow the whistle. Umps were terrible and if anything it should be said they are in career worst form right now can't even bounce a footy never mind make a feel for the game decision.

Though it didn't decide the game the umpiring particularly number 3 was deplorable. Go back to the bush mate. Some truly baffling oversights and he was in good position. They swung momentum with poor decisions.
Bad kicking for goal and overusing the handball stood out for me. Our mids need to relearn how to get front and square to a contest. GC towelled us up there. Our forward line always looks crowded because no one breaks to the flanks to open up space behind CHF. Truly the most frustrating team to support - same stuff, different year with different levels of optimism that never quite seems to mature.

What the **** was that touched goal - behind we had? It wasn’t even ******* touched and the goal umpire called it?!
On TV it looked like it went clear between his two arms... didn't look touched, but hard to overturn given the goal umpire called it touched. He was probably too far away to call it... just unlucky, but it happens.

Absolutely agree re fixture. Couldn’t be worse. I’m filthy with the start, but we’ll win a few at the back end of the year (when it means little) and it’ll up the optimism around the group... it’s been the same patter for at least 7 years. First 10 games we are bad. Last 12, we snag 3-4 wins to bump it up to 6 and finish the year with some hope.

I said from the moment I laid eyes on the fixture that we got screwed for a bottom of the ladder team. Tough draw, champion data had us ranked 8th hardest I think.

I can honestly say that I think none of the players have given up (even last week) and it's a skill and physical issue. Therefore, I'm not giving up if they aren't giving up.
The last quarter proved that. Skills badly let us down early on but they chucked everything into the last 15 minutes.

At least we got one back with their bad video ump decision too I guess.

The "technology" being used for these decisions makes Mickey Mouse look like a nuclear physicist.

It's useless.

The "review" system should be totally abandoned until such time as the AFL wakes up to itself and invests some serious coin on technology that actually works.

Though it didn't decide the game the umpiring particularly number 3 was deplorable. Go back to the bush mate. Some truly baffling oversights and he was in good position. They swung momentum with poor decisions.
Bad kicking for goal and overusing the handball stood out for me. Our mids need to relearn how to get front and square to a contest. GC towelled us up there. Our forward line always looks crowded because no one breaks to the flanks to open up space behind CHF. Truly the most frustrating team to support - same stuff, different year with different levels of optimism that never quite seems to mature.
Our forwards coach is a backman which may have something to do with it.

The 50 against Zorko was one of the most ridiculous. bizarre pieces of selective umpiring I've ever seen .

Berry got slammed to the ground and then shortly after, persistently buffetted, elbowed and pushed

I think Zorko was not only justified but obliged to come to the aid of his team-mate. In doing so, I thought he actually showed restraint. The so called "strangle" was nothing more than a mild push. As far as I'm concerned the umpire adjudicated on the person (Zorko) rather than the act.

Every week in every game, players react to percieved injustices to team-mates often going way over the top. I can't remember the last time a 50 was dished out in these circumstances. Usually the umps show a bit of common sense and just tell the players to "cool it"

Not this time.

"50 Metres!!!"....just like that.

Come off it umpire.

Along with the Hodge free kick, these two decisions in effect decided the game.

Not our kicking it 30+ times directly to the opposition?

Just spitballing, but I think right now we really miss Daniel Rich. With Zorks being a total hot-head and Beams with a few personal issues, I think someone like Rich would be the steadying influence we need right now.

Without him we have gone back to bombing it into forward 50. He was our inside 50s king.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't write off the GWS game. I am going and have a good record lately (Reserve granny, AFLX, Women v GWS). We win when I turn up.
If St Kilda can draw against them, we can beat them. It's time for the true believers.

If we win against GWS I'll start a movement to raise money so you can go to all of our remaining games this season.

I could understand Lenny Hayes or Nick Riewoldt having an axe to grind upon returning to the Gabba, but Leigh Fisher? The bloke needs counselling, spends too long trying to stick it to us.

If Zorko pulled his head in and played like a leader, and the umps had a crack at presenting an even playing field, we win by 5 goals in a canter. The panic and over enthusiasm doesn't thwart us in the dying minutes.

Burned plenty of footy coming off half back, Rich can't come back quick enough! We also lacked a conduit option to link between the 50's, we either played with one too few talls, or just didn't quite get the structure right to allow us an extra tall option other than Martin during the slower exits from defence.

Can someone please advise when we can do these 3 very basic things;

1. Kick the ball and hit a target.

2. When 30 metres out directly in front of goal, kick the goal.

3. Have some, even a little composure.

I am sick of watching the same old stuff. We dont need to work on clearances, we need to address the basics first.

Very frustrating.

We play Richmond at the G last week, and Cameron misses in the opening minute from what, 30 metres directly in front.

I watch Geelong youngters, and they have composure. All Lions players just look rushed, all the time.

The "technology" being used for these decisions makes Mickey Mouse look like a nuclear physicist.

It's useless.

The "review" system should be totally abandoned until such time as the AFL wakes up to itself and invests some serious coin on technology that actually works.
We need HotSpot.

Final observation, which clown hit the goal button right as McStay was dropping the ball on his boot for that set shot in the 3rd quarter? The timing could not have been worse, a loud Lion growl across the haphazard P.A between the ball drop and contact with the boot. We are a tin-shed operation in some areas...

Why didn't one of the coaches tell Zorko to pull his head in and just play footy? Isn't that what coaches should do? This waiting for review before giving advice or negative feedback to players is stinkier than baby poo. Sometimes a bit of volume and spittle is worth it. I hope everyone in the footy dept gets a roasting. Just sick of waiting to see genuine consistent improvement that equates to winning at least a moderate amount of games. Getting too tiresome watching this stuff year after year.
There I feel better now.

Back