Preview Round 5, 2018: North Melbourne v Hawthorn, 22 April 2018, 3.20pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon he's been earmarked for an inside role regardless, that's how he has earned the call up. Perhaps Impey stays forward now and plays the Cyril role full time, Punky/Gunno/Ruff/Hendo/Impey to bring the forward pressure. Not as savage with Cyril and pop out but better than most and levels above what North will bring.
Won’t be surprised to see Tom/JOM go forward at times.

Obviously one of his favs, hence his undeserved game the other week.

I stand by what I said though, we grow as a team by moving past players like Langers. If he's still best 22, we aren't top 4.

As for his kicking, he's always butchered it. Should have worked on it every pre-season. I just think we have to accept that for the most part his disposal is rubbish.
How did we win the flag with a plodder like Langford in 2014?

He has his weaknesses but his best is good enough for a premiership so it's nonsense to say that we aren't top 4 with him in the 22.

If he even plays like last year but with better goal conversion he kicks 25-30 goals.

If Langford plays like we know he can and gets rid of the yips (yes his kicking is average, but if he builds confidence we have seen him kick clutch goals) he will make us a better side not hold us back.

That being said, hd needs to get fitness, form, confidence and goals before he comes in. No doubt he will be first in against stkilda if he can kick goals this weekend at box Hill.

Our team has changed so much over time.

Right now we only have Roughead from our 2008 Premiership playing. From our 2013 Premiership we only have Rough, Breust, Gunners, Smithy, Sheils and Stratton. Hard to believe.
Needs more Rioli & Birchall

Last edited:
Langford is the best like for like replacement for the Rioli/Puopolo role. He was good there even with the yips. Tackles, chances, gets the ball out of congestion. If Cousins hadn’t been banging down the doors, I’d say he would have been the best in.

Langford is the best like for like replacement for the Rioli/Puopolo role. He was good there even with the yips. Tackles, chances, gets the ball out of congestion. If Cousins hadn’t been banging down the doors, I’d say he would have been the best in.
If it were Round 8ish or if he'd not had an uninterrupted pre-season, I'd back that in 100%.

Just don't reckon he's fit enough at the moment.

If it were Round 8ish or if he'd not had an uninterrupted pre-season, I'd back that in 100%.

Yep. We need someone who can run out the game. Langford could only play limited minutes in his first game. There is a place for him when fit if he is good enough but it’s best not to set him up for failure like last time ;)

Cousins coming into the team might see Impey play as a small forward. I'm glad they didn't bring Langford back in. He really needs to put a strong case in the VFL first before he warrants selection again.

Harry M could play the half forward role which allows Cousins to play between the arcs as a on baller or Howe plays HB and Cuz goes in the guts more often. Clarko will have it all worked out.

Would be a lot more confident on the MCG, will be interesting to see how our game plan holds up elsewhere.

Last weeks Hawthorn performance was an eye opener stat wise.

The Hawks only had 71 score involvements, yet they completely dominated the opposition and controlled the match. Brilliant precision.

Last weeks Hawthorn performance was an eye opener stat wise.

The Hawks only had 71 score involvements, yet they completely dominated the opposition and controlled the match. Brilliant precision.
What is normal/good Score Involvements numbers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is normal/good Score Involvements numbers?

Your other 3 outputs were 101, 103 and 123 in the game v Geelong for 62 inside 50's, when you won by a point!

Last week it was 71 and 54.

Our team has changed so much over time.

Right now we only have Roughead from our 2008 Premiership playing. From our 2013 Premiership we only have Rough, Breust, Gunners, Smithy, Sheils and Stratton. Hard to believe.

Yes, lots of changes but the new players have fitted in so well. Guys like Morrison seem to have slotted in seamlessly. Very impressive from our Hawks :thumbsu:

ROUND 5 SQUAD
Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Etihad Stadium
Sunday 22 April, 3.20pm
B: David Mirra, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Taylor Duryea, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick
C: Isaac Smith, Jaeger O’Meara, Harry Morrison
HF: Luke Breust, Tim O’Brien, Jack Gunston
F: Jarman Impey, Jarryd Roughead, Ricky Henderson
R: Ben McEvoy, Tom Mitchell, Liam Shiels
Interchange: Glass, Burton, Howe, Cousins.

IN: Ryan Burton, James Cousins,
OUT: Cyril Rioli (knee), Paul Puopolo (hamstring)
Emergencies: Langford, Worpel, Brand, Lewis.
Check out the youth: Sic, Jaegar, Timmy, Hardwick, Morrison, Impey, Mitchell (yes he is young), Glass, Burton, Howe and Cousins [11]

Really big game for Hawthorn to rely so heavily on that much youth. Doesn’t matter if it’s Norf.

Oldies we have brought in cheap: Henderson and Mirra [2]

Premiership Players: Rough, Izzy, Bruest, Frawls, Strats, Big Boy, Shiels, Gunner and Doc [9].

I actually think we should keep a hold on our expectations for this game.

Big game for Mirra too. Need leaders and he is a natural leader

Check out the youth: Sic, Jaegar, Timmy, Hardwick, Morrison, Impey, Mitchell (yes he is young), Glass, Burton, Howe and Cousins [11]

Really big game for Hawthorn to rely so heavily on that much youth. Doesn’t matter if it’s Norf.

Oldies we have brought in cheap: Henderson and Mirra [2]

Premiership Players: Rough, Izzy, Bruest, Frawls, Strats, Big Boy, Shiels, Gunner and Doc [9].

I actually think we should keep a hold on our expectations for this game.

Big game for Mirra too. Need leaders and he is a natural leader

You sound like you are making excuses, the 22 we have is good enough and should beat North Melbourne.

You sound like you are making excuses, the 22 we have is good enough and should beat North Melbourne.
No - not excuses. Just feel less confident this week. I think Pops and Cyril are massive outs. Their pressure is what leads to so many goals.

A lot of crazy 1%ers from Sizzle can shift momentum. Pops has been so reliable in front of goal too.

It helps Bruest is in crazy good form though.

I agree Impey goes forward at times but his kicking into the forwardline has set us up a bit.

I’m wondering if Cousins takes O’Meara’s role and O’Meara is more of the Impey role - wing, HFF etc

Unfortunately I’m sensing a “late in” with our out-of-form Langers. Love him, but he’s underdone.

Great to see Cuz being rewarded for his start to the VFL season; also great to have the chosen one back!

Reakon Cousins will be mostly midfield time with stints forward, maybe using our midfield rotations as the cover for Cyril and Pops

The lineup has really good flexibility too, which is nice. Gives us heaps of options and keeps the opposition guessing. Wouldn't be surprised to see Burto forward a bit more this week either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back