Preview Round 5, 2018: North Melbourne v Hawthorn, 22 April 2018, 3.20pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norths team is actually a fair bit older and more experienced then I think a lot of people realise
Plenty of experience through the spine with Tarrant, Thompson, Goldstein , Brown and a few solid bodies in the midfield in Cunnington and Ziebell when not forward
So they still have a hard edge . Younger players filling more periphery type roles.
Not a bad way too do it either

Probably why they are far more competitive then people expected

Still should cover them without Poppy, Cyril and Burgoyne ( can we still add Birchall ??? )
Will be a hard game though

You are correct its a myth that North Melbourne are young, in 2016 they had one of the oldest lists ever assembled before they parted ways with a few of the old blokes.

Personally I couldn't care if Brown gets off the chain. The only way they win is if they beat us comprehensively in the middle and spread the goalkicking around their forward line.

We have had a history of letting key position forwards kick bags and still win the game. It's more of an issue if spuds like Waite pop up and kick 3 or 4 or Higgins kicks a handful. Brown can kick 5 but if he is their only focal point, it's a win for us.

I think that's a bit harsh on Waite.

He is a very good footballer whose career has predominantly been ruined by injury.

North seem to me to have too many talls. We should be able to exploit that, particularly Magic.
I have been thinking along these lines also becalm, but also thinking that we might be going in a bit too small overall? Would like to have have seen Brand down back to give us some much needed height down there. However, in light of this, I am now downgrading my winning margin from a 60 point win to a 30 point win which will of course result in a less impressive Percentage. Chip played well along-side Lake, so no reason why he couldn't form a good gel with Brand?

A lot of people saying North not as bad as people predicted this year... Well actually they are.

Carlton, Brisbane, and Stkilda looking like bottom 4 sides at the moment a place where everyone expected North to be too.

Well why does beating Carlton and Stkilda change that and people now think they are doing okay? Those 2 teams are in epica poor form stkilda have no talent and cqrl who have a sliver of talent but they are all too young at the moment and many injuries.

I think tomorrow we will show that north are still very much a bottom 4 side.
From memory, North had a similar start to their season last year whereby they had an easy first few games and getting to dizzy heights then crashed to the bottom part of the ladder and there they stayed.

You are correct its a myth that North Melbourne are young, in 2016 they had one of the oldest lists ever assembled before they parted ways with a few of the old blokes.
Last weekend Nth.Melb average age was 25.7 while Hawthorn was 26.1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory, North had a similar start to their season last year whereby they had an easy first few games and getting to dizzy heights then crashed to the bottom part of the ladder and there they stayed.
North lost their first 5 games last year.

North lost their first 5 games last year.
He's referring to 2016 (although he incorrectly said "last year") in 2016 North won the first nine games, and my ranking system still had them finishing 8th at that point, which shows how easy their season start was. They ended up 8th.

He's referring to 2016 (although he incorrectly said "last year") in 2016 North won the first nine games, and my ranking system still had them finishing 8th at that point, which shows how easy their season start was. They ended up 8th.

They often seem to get soft draws to begin the year. Probably the AFL’s way of helping them build their membership numbers.

This year they haven’t played any top 8 sides from last year, and won’t until round 6 when they play Port at home followed by Syd, Rich and GWS. They could easily be on a 5 game losing streak by the end of round 9.

Thanks for the date correction mate! You certainly wouldn't take any notice of my recall of the 1950s/60s then would you?

I am a huge Glass fan but was disappointed with his game last week especially since I hoped the wet would suit him. He looked nervous, panicky and too keen to go backwards and sideways. It was only his first game back so I’m expecting a far better showing from him tomorrow. When he starts attacking the footy, running off and kicking forward he will slice them open.

I think Duryea and impey will go forward with Burton going back and maybe jom playing a bit more outside to allow cousins to play inside.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Tom go forward a bit if he's tagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back