Preview Round 5, 2018: St.Kilda v GWS - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 21st April, 1:45PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgotten Saint ready to put his name forward
Dinny Navaratnam
Apr 20, 2018 4:05PM
486897-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Lewis Pierce in an intra club practice match
I'm confident (enough) to go to the coach and say 'I'm ready to go' Lewis Pierce

A DISAPPOINTING 2017 for forgotten St Kilda ruckman Lewis Pierce, partly caused by being played out of position, was the catalyst for one of the weirder arrangements in the AFL.

While the rest of his teammates not picked in the senior side represent the Saints' affiliate club Sandringham, Pierce is playing his reserves football at the Frankston Dolphins.

On his early form, Pierce is not only excelling, but he's pushing a strong case to line up in his second AFL game.

Juggling Pierce, Tom Hickey, Jason Holmes and Rowan Marshall in the same side last year inevitably posed problems. One usually played in the now-defunct development league, which Pierce did three times, and he was also forced to spend time in defence.

After signing a two-year contract in 2016, Pierce struggled and was demoted to the rookie list at the end of last season.

His football was floundering, so when St Kilda's ruck coach Adam Skrobalak was in the running for the head coach's job at the Dolphins and suggested, if successful, there could be an opportunity for Pierce to be the primary ruckman at the club returning to the VFL after a one-year hiatus, the big man was immediately interested.

"I just sort of kept pushing it. It probably wouldn't have happened if I (didn't) push it a little bit because obviously they like everyone to play at the same club at VFL level," Pierce told AFL.com.au.

"Having one guy that goes off and plays elsewhere is obviously very strange."

Strange indeed, and he'll be committed to Frankston all year, but it's a move that makes a lot of sense. Pierce plays in his preferred position and a young Dolphins outfit fields someone on an AFL list.

The results show his improved form. In round one, Pierce had 40 hit-outs to his Essendon counterpart Matthew Leuenberger's 38, before he racked up 54 last Saturday against Box Hill, with Marc Pittonet winning 37.

Skrobalak, who juggles his Dolphins duties with working four days a week at the Saints as their ruck coach, told AFL.com.au Pierce can do more than give his midfielders first use.

"If you look at all the top rucks at the moment, they're very strong and aggressive but they also find the footy around the ground and that's where Lewie's shown some real potential," Skrobalak said.

The 23-year-old has grown in other areas as well.

"Not only is it really helping his football but his leadership is really shining through. We always knew it was something within Lewie, but it's something that's really coming to the fore now," Skrobalak said.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson won't be able to watch many Frankston games this year, so will rely heavily on Skrobalak's account of Pierce's performances, as well as vision and stats.

In the final year of his contract after originally being drafted at No.75 in 2012, Pierce is desperate to play with the Saints again.

"Based on my form across these first two rounds of the VFL season – obviously we had a few ‘praccy’ games as well which I was able to go well in – I can't see why my name wouldn't be discussed in match committee," Pierce said.

"I'm confident (enough) to go to the coach and say 'I'm ready to go' and I think my form suggests that as well."

*Swoon*

No game day thread two hours before the match starts pretty much shows where our heads are at!

Roof closed today.
Pity bc it's a great day, but it does make it easier to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back