Review Round 5, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly the most important review thread in my time as a mod.

Also I was in Melbourne Airport for six hours because my morning flight to Brisbane was cancelled so we better have played well!

Credit to Collingwood, way way too good tonight, they are premiership contenders and we a still a while off that class.

1- They were better organized and too slick around the stoppages and the center bounces.
2- They spread at pace in attack and defense as a team unit, they covered everything we were trying to do.
3- Our defenders did the best they could considering how often, quick and easily it was coming in.
4- Hugh McCluggage, Eric Hipwood, Daniel Rich, Jarrod Berry and Nick Robertson our best IMO.
5- I would have taken 3-2 at the start of the season in a heartbeat considering the tough draw.
6- A lot of the boys looked like they had heavy legs tonight, 3 days off now to freshen up and back into it on Monday for the Pineapple Stoush, win that go 4-2 and all smiles again.

Time to face facts , you can't have stoppers and tacklers in your mid field if they don't stop and tackle.

You can't win games getting smashed out of the centre when only one player has any smarts and balance below their knees.

We play lesser opposition next round and instead of chipping the ball backwards nearly every time in the backline and eventually turning it over we need to try and get someone in who will take the game on , or at least if not try to get some penetration with our rebounds.

No votes this week .

It was a poor effort with very little tackling pressure and very sloppy when it did occur.

We can be a lot better , bring in two or three new players .

With our loss finalised early in the 3rd I've now had time to calm down.. It seems like this game has got the better of us two weeks in a row..
we still are a... mentally weak? (maybe not) team really.

Its dissapointing but I felt this has been coming, and its better it came now rather than later. The real dissapointment is the offfield effects of this. It was supposed to be a spectacle and we should have performed for the crowd.. oh well.

Other than the deficiencies in our def and forward, it seems the only time our mids have all worked well together was the eagles. Today I thought Neale played alright, but wasn't dominant (I really hope its not like years before when we rely on a dominant performance by Beams/Zorko to win us a game). His lofty standards were probably inflated, but he didn't play badly at all.

Mathieson i thought really took the game on in his grunt. Maybe lacked the polish, but I saw a lot more effort by him compared to the last two weeks (Shame about his hammy though)

Hippy was looking really agressive and strong in the beginning, coming down the ground well

Rich was good down low, and Walker i thought was quite nice.

Thank the lord for McCluggage, got some sneaky goals and added some class. I also thought Berry had a better game than the last 2 weeks, hoepfully he gets back to his best.

I won't ponder about the bad performances :( I'm in two minds if we should swing the axe for the Suns next week. (Actually if any needs to be sent to NEAFL, probably Witherden. Many made mistakes, but his is also mental)

and now let me be biased

* THOSE UMPS.

I've never had skin in the game listening to Bruce.. his pandering and nattering and just godawful nothings really turned me off him tonight. Maybe I was just grumpy

I really hate when the frees are evened up in the end.. the damage has been done (the pies woul have got us anyway don't get me wrong).

Oh well on to next week! We will hopefully be better for getting smashed. Lucky we already have runs on the board

Gave my votes to Rich,Hippy,Berry,Walker,McCluggage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now it’s demoralising but .... 22 blokes went out there tonight and they really did try. They were outclassed, and they did some really stupid stuff that was annoying. Mostly I think they are struggling because they started the season so well and they don’t really know how to reproduce that form. They are caught up in the deer in the headlights stage.

Extra long week break now, regroup and get back to enjoying playing like they did in the preseason and the wins will come.

Completely flat. So frustrating. Weve shown we can play better then that. but the last few weeks have shown where we are at.

Expectations have been lowered for the rest of the season

Absolutely 100%

Never any urgency to get it out of there and put pressure on the opposition. Just chip it 15m or kick long to a flank contest.

Not possible to win games that way against good opposition

Second week in a row I've been bored watching my beloved lions, lack of effort is killing us :(

Biggest crowd at GABBA in 10 years, we will now have to wait another 10 as people wont bother coming for the rest of the season.

So, this game wasn't lost at the selection table, no changes were warranted and we wouldn't lose by more than 39.5 points.

I guess so.:rolleyes:

Can you post the team you wanted us to go in with?

I thought Hugh was pretty clean and he got my one solitary vote.

Firstly they are a 4-6 goal better team than us on a normal day, give or take.

The umpires killed us that first half.. really killed us. Players knew it. Crowd knew it.

Major major issues:
-Ball watching and not impacting contests.
-Reacting way too late after they have started to put a chain together.
-Second to the ball for the 2nd week in a row.
-Not sticking tackles.
All these are attitude based and that’s why tonight was so disappointing.

The team let down a lot of supporters tonight in that regard.

What is horrifyingly worrying is there is a foolproof blueprint for exactly where our weaknesses are - and that goes for both gameplan and specific players weaknesses.

If the casual fan can see these weaknesses a crew of opposition AFL coaches are already implementing plans.

Side note: Dayne Beams is an entitled flog.

They saw the switch. Every. Single. Time. That was probably the most frustrating aspect for me tonight. The pies never jog and concede that, they will always push hard and force the hard contest. We kept kicking backwards and across to slow them but you can’t do that forever, and you actually have to start running and offering options. Slow switch and kick down the line really seemed to be the plan B tonight.

Not good enough.

Edit: and the crowd was far more engaged at targeting Beams. Just... nothing. Way to look toothless boys.

Back