Review Round 5, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I watched and l don't agree. He got 0 goals against WC but did help stop McGovern with Hippy. McGovern would have been happy that his primary goal of stopping his opponent from kicking a goal. Obviously his seconday would have been intercept which didn't happen.
He got 1 goal against NM against a 3rd gamer...
He got 2 goals agains Port whih was good but provided nothing around the game as he only had 7 disposals.

We need more from him, he needs to get up the ground like Hippy has been doing and stop missing basic basic shots.

The question was can we afford to play him. And we had no issue in the first 3 rounds when our midfield got on top and he was playing forward.

That's not to say we won't benefit from him improving but our forwardline can clearly function quite well without him having a big game stats-wise

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Cam is still only 19 years of age and playing in a very difficult position on the ground, we have been smashed in the midfield the last 2 weeks so he hasn't had much of an opportunity to be game breaking. Yes he's dropping marks and missing some easy shots but in the long run that is a massive positive IMO, he is getting himself in a position to score goals and take marks, he knows where to be he is a very clever footballer, he will come good.

I think he should cut back on the boxing next off season and get some miles into his legs, run Cam run just like Forrest. If he wants it bad enough and works really diligently on his endurance he will be a star of the competition.

JasperBeardly

All Australian
Dec 3, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I may be off the mark here, but at times it seemed like we over-committed to the ball at the contest. Neale said earlier in the year that one of the great things about the midfield group was the willingness to sacrifice for others around stoppage. I thought we were drawn to the contest and had a few people competing for the same ball on Thursday night whereas Collingwood seemed to hold their width and spacing a bit better. That seemed to allow them more time and easier exits from stoppage than we had. That's based on the TV view though, which doesn't always accurately reflect what's happening.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Yes. Did you watch the first 3 rounds?

I did and he was OK but only just in games two and three. He has been very very quite in the last two.

Handy in the first game but it wasn't a six contested mark game, three goals and plenty of score involvements. Very few would have him in the best players

Could I humbly suggest Jackass that you don't make statements like "Did you watch the first three games"?

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was laughing at comments after the Suns v Blues game how Patrick Cripps deserved better. 30+ possessions 10+clearances 10+tackles 2 goals and his team still loses. Well I feel Harris Andrews deserves better. Imagine if someone of his skill level was at Geelong? Bloke would be easily acknowledged as the best defender in the league. Instead he is here trying his best to mop up the mess our midfield dishes up week in week out.

Hope you don't mind me intruding, but I see a lot of the Lions by virtue of living up here. As a result I'm one opposition supporter who appreciates Harris Andrews. I'd take him over any other player in the AFL right now.

All the best for the rest of the season.

You're definitely trending upwards, have some quality players on your list and play entertaining footy when you're on.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Now THAT"S what I call a reality check. Against a very good side, probably improved over a GF appearance last year, we were shown very clearly the gap between us and the elite.

As I said to my companion at HT, when it was very apparent we were going to lose, now we'll see who steps up for us by not rolling over and submitting to a pounding. TBH, there were very few. In fact maybe only HA. Maybe McCluggage. Also Berry tried hard but not yet 100%.

The worrying thing to me was how very unfit we seemed compared to Collingwood. We were simply run off our feet. Lyons and Rayner, and I know I keep harping on about this, are very obviously overweight. How can this happen??

The positive I'd take out of this is that it should now be obvious who is going to improve our side and who are just making up the numbers. Christensen, eg was clearly too slow last year and he ain't getting any quicker. Sure, he has the footy smarts, but without pace forget it. Same with Robertson- tries very hard but lacks pace, and no-one is ever going to accuse him of being a smart footballer. Rhys seems to have gratefully accepted all the positive PR, and maybe that's all she wrote. Witherden has apparently realised he is an out-and-out champ and that there is absolutely no need to get down and dirty, never ever. Just kick the pill around with the occasional monumental. What exactly is this tackling thing anyway? Both these two last need a quiet word. Maybe not so quiet.

And what do we say about Dan Mc. Seriously. What do we say? I am well aware from the posts here [plays his role, it's not all about kicking goals yada yada] that he has his defenders. But just what are they defending? Personally I've just given up trying to work out just what the plan for this bloke is.

Now let's down to the really hard issue- our ruck. Simply put, Stef ain't ever going to hack it against the big bodies. Once upon a time, back in the day, the spreading of the arms routine might have got him through. Just. Not anymore. And while the Big O offers an improvement over Martin, he just isn't strong enough. Up against probably the best ruck in the AFL [taken I believe at Pick 18] we got thrashed. Once again. We should be getting used to it by now. The other thing with Stef is that his disposal skills are nearly always pretty hopeless. He should be told in no uncertain terms you are never to kick the ball, like, never. Someone run off him for the handball- or else.

Which brings us our perennial great ruck hope- Archie. Sorry guys. Pretty sure he isn't going to make it. Been closely following him for it seems years and years, hoping for the big breakthough. Had a good look at him in the NEAFL a couple of weeks ago. To my sceptical eye, I thought he seemed to have learned very little if anything. He just lacks the native skills that come from an early start in the game. His around the ground skills [I mean like marking, kicking, handball etc] are worse than Stef's, and that's saying a lot. Take away the great vertical leap [not a problem against the best] and that is all.

We need a resolution to our rucking problem which might not lie within our current ranks, and this is going to hold us back.

This is very much just me, but I'd rather we got to season's end experimenting, or whatever you'd term it, rather than going down the "Ryan Lester" route. I'd be happy to finish the year with 4 or 5 emerging promising types and maybe 6 wins.

Like everyone is saying, Thursday night's game set the Lions, and the game, back big time here. Now it'll be back the 12 pp of Broncos filler. Makes me very sad.

Last- just trying to think what the Eddster would be saying right now about 1 goal that wasn't and 1 point that was a goal. Just imagine the crap that would be flying.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I did and he was OK but only just in games two and three. He has been very very quite in the last two.

Handy in the first game but it wasn't a six contested mark game, three goals and plenty of score involvements. Very few would have him in the best players

Could I humbly suggest Jackass that you don't make statements like "Did you watch the first three games"?

You miss the point. The question was can we afford to play him and if you look at the first 3 games when the midfield played well the answer is yes. Bit harder to judge the last 2 weeks when our midfield has been smashed.

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well that was a major setback on and off the field, i felt the boys did have a real crack in the first half but the skills and polish are not there to go with a genuine top 4 team like Collingwood. The umpiring was despicable, some of the worst I have seen, not the reason we lost the game however.
Off the field this was a disaster. You won't see a 30k+ crowd back at the Gabba for sometime to come. People on this forum ask why Brisbane fans are so fickle , results like this are the reason why, the team talks themselves up and then dud eveveryone.
Reminds me of round 1 2015, big pre season, big name recruits, big expectation, 34k crowd turns up and its all downhill thereafter.

McGovern would have been happy that his primary goal of stopping his opponent from kicking a goal. Obviously his seconday would have been intercept which didn't happen.
Disagree on this - McGovern's primary aim is to intercept, as that lets him stop a lot more potential goals than just stopping whoever he's matched on. You can tell because last year he was generally opponent-less in order to enable that intercepting.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really hope you are right, but 70 odd games, with about 50 up forward and only glimpses up forward. He has shown far more when in defence IMO but we need a key forward more then a key backman. Do we get games into a younger player (Balladen?) and play McStay down back?

Can we afford McStay playing when he gets 5 to 10 disposals per game?

Yeah ive liked the way McStay has played, bar last week. He gas gotten up the ground, crashed packs and kicked a few timely goals. Entries have been shite too. He is still learning his forward craft. Look at Scache, McCartin, Tom Boyd, Patton, Curnow, Joe Daniher.. it's a roller coaster ride for these young forwards and he will cost us a 1/3 of what they will at his next contract. I always point to the fact that Robbie Tarrent had barely cracked playing a game at Dans age. Yes, he is worth pumping games into, theres enough to suggest it will click IMO.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam has extreme upside. He is a second year player who has shown several times why he warrented being a number 1 pick, this stuff takes time. He is going to be a very good footballer. Our kids are expected to carry the weight of a 150 game player given the stare of our list and they are unfairly judged as such..

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam has extreme upside. He is a second year player who has shown several times why he warrented being a number 1 pick, this stuff takes time. He is going to be a very good footballer. Our kids are expected to carry the weight of a 150 game player given the stare of our list and they are unfairly judged as such..

I think that's the issue people have with him

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You miss the point. The question was can we afford to play him and if you look at the first 3 games when the midfield played well the answer is yes. Bit harder to judge the last 2 weeks when our midfield has been smashed.
I think either McStay or Big O has to go between then we getting one player most weeks and run off to easily the other way.
Normally I add Hippy as well say one of the 3 although he been up and about on the wings a lot more lately
Said this in a few threads all 6 of our forwards go for mark of the year each week and mostly miss these and drop too many ones they should take.
Think we need someone who will lead forward try to find space with pace and take a mark the pies had lots of these players.
Might look good on TV the almost mark of the year, although against good teams it gets run out as 2-3 players of our players hit the ground afterwards.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
We’ve scored quite well in all our games so far despite the losses of the last two weeks but we have leaked goals every week. To me it is our defence which looks broken and it’s about to get a lot harder without Harris. Next 3-4 weeks is going to get interesting.

Coming into the season the optimists among us were hoping for finals, the realists were hoping for in-the-hunt-for-the-eight, the pessimists were sure we would be bottom four again and no one was talking about lids ... we saw improvement last year and we were all (ok most) desperately hoping that the improvement we saw would continue into this year and would translate into a rise up the ladder.

So ... we are currently 3W 2L ... which is a few have pointed out we would have taken with shouts/shrieks of delight had we been offered that before a ball was bounced in the JLT.

One of the things about the early season is we cannot truly judge the worth of our wins. For example, beating WC aka last years premiers is awesome but if they went on to have a 0 win season it wouldn't mean the same. If we lose to the Dons and the Pies and they both end up top four then those are the teams which, at our stage of development, we would expect to lose to but would hope to have a decent scrap with. The fact that we came in as 4th v 8th on this years ladder doesn't take away from our lowly placement and their runner up status from last year.

We are still a young team with a lot to work on and one of the things we have to work on is not dropping our heads the 10th time some fluorescent maggot screws us over while he simultaneously waves the opposition merrily along - it may not seem fair and of course it is *not* fair but fair or not you have to play the umpires you get (do you get a week if you tackle an umpire into a post btw or perhaps less subtly 'accidently' torpedo a falcon into them?) One day, hopefully, we will be playing on the big stage at the MCG and we will need to be good enough to beat the opposition team, the crowd, and the umpires ... there is no WB fairytale in the works for foreign teams who dared to three-peat in living memory against two powerful heartland clubs (Make VFL Great Again!) and so we need to embed into our DNA that we will rise above the screwing and use it to power our determination rather than let it sap our strength.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I didn't like the interviews mid game to be honest. But I do like Hodge telling Barrett he is a flog

I thought grabbing Hodge the second time when he was getting work done was trashy - I would have told the interviewer to go away (the temptation to use other words would have been strong though :p)

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
LOL - good one. No, the issue people have is emotion and impatience takes over rational thought and they want him to be Dusty now. He us actually progressing nicely I reckon.
It’s more to do with the fact that he can’t run out of sight on a dark night and he doesn’t look remotely fit . Coming back 4kgs overweight when you have severe limitations already on your running capacity. This is a bloke who is literally one of the worst runners for his draft year endurance wise and he doesn’t appear to be working on them . Hence he literally can’t find the football and is completely gassed after 1 effort . Look at how young rozee or Walsh are going if we could pick again between those 3 it’s not even close as to who you would pick .

Back