Preview Round 6, 2019: Hawthorn v Carlton, 28 April 2019, 3.20pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hawks play the first of their four home games for the season at York Park in Launceston against the Blues, who recorded their first win of the season over the Bulldogs last round.

Preview and changes in here.

IN: Shiels, Stratton, Miles

OUT: Nash (omitted), Mirra (omitted), Morrison (omitted)

B: Stratton, Brand, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Impey

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Scully, Cousins, Howe, Miles

IN: Shiels, Stratton, Miles

OUT: Nash (omitted), Mirra (omitted), Morrison (omitted)

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

INT: Scully, Cousins, Howe, Miles
Love it- fax that through to Clarko thanks

We play like we did today and we will win.

We were faster and had the right idea, just lacked polished at key moments and were beaten by the best team in the comp.

Shiels helps our midfield rotations and Stratts must play to stop one of Curnow, McKay or Casboult.

Stop Cripps and the tall forwards and we should win.

Also if it rains then we are in the box seat as i feel Carlton are way too tall.

Nash and Mirra out

Moore/Hanrahan and Stratton in.

Shiels in for Morrison if ready. Would love miles to get a gig soon too

OUT: Mirra, Nash
IN: Shiels, Stratton

C: Scully, Roughead, Henderson
HF: Smith, Gunston, Wingard
FF: Puopolo, Lewis, Breust
FOLL: McEvoy, O meara, Worpel
INT: Shiels, Morrison, Howe, Cousins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m going hard on changes to fix the mid rotations with Scully & Wingard to rotate through the middle.
Enough is enough of some of the experiments.
Same up forward bringing in O’Brien; at least he can jump at the shithouse inside 50m bombs & gives us a half decent spine to build around.
Cousins is stuff to miss but he doesn’t fit the mix.
The other 3 are obvious changes that have been coming.
Gunston moves closer to goal so we can get over 100 points.
Rough gets out of the way & up the ground, same as Breust... there is something off about his form.
Miles gets a run to get Hardwick & Impey up the ground on rotation to get them into the game more. Miles will go out for Burgoyne the following week bar injury.

IN: Shiels, Stratton, Miles, O’Brien

OUT: Nash (omitted), Mirra (omitted), Morrison (omitted) Cousins (rested)

HF: Breust, O’brien, Roughhead

F: Poppy, Lewis, Gunston

INT: Scully, Wingard, Howe, Miles

Miles has to come in. I honestly believe he will make such a difference. Like he bloody did last year. I’ll talk about it until the cows come home. He is a natural zippy footballer who will do wonders in our team. Wouldn’t mind seeing CJ also at some stage, he’s a real diamond I believe: we’re not far off. Nash, Morrison and mirra to box hill for an extended time to work on their craft. Also have a feeling Hanrahan couple be one of those players more suited to the top level. With the game style of AFL compared to VFL he will naturally get more ball. Extremely smart and a good ball user.

I find it funny that people come in after a respectable game and assume we'll be forcing like 10 changes.

In all likelihood there'll be 3.

Mirra out for Stratton
Cousins out for Shiels
Nash out for perhaps Miles

I've been a pretty stalwart supporter of Nash but his output on the defensive end is starting to match his offensive output. He doesn't seem to be attacking the man as hard as he was to start the season, or at the end of last season. Needs some confidence and some rest.

I worry about Miles' defensive intensity but there's no one else that feels as though they'd be a reasonable enough in. I'd see Minchington as a more reasonable replacement when he's back in and has regained some fitness, whether that is this week or whether he needs to prove his fitness in the VFL is up to the club I guess.

I worry about Miles' defensive intensity but there's no one else that feels as though they'd be a reasonable enough in. I'd see Minchington as a more reasonable replacement when he's back in and has regained some fitness, whether that is this week or whether he needs to prove his fitness in the VFL is up to the club I guess.

I've got no issue with the inclusion of Miles. Will take it on and provide rebound, which we desperately need. I thought he was stiff to miss out on the first final last year. Had played a very decent block of footy before being dropped cold come finals time.

I find it funny that people come in after a respectable game and assume we'll be forcing like 10 changes.

In all likelihood there'll be 3.

Mirra out for Stratton
Cousins out for Shiels
Nash out for perhaps Miles

I've been a pretty stalwart supporter of Nash but his output on the defensive end is starting to match his offensive output. He doesn't seem to be attacking the man as hard as he was to start the season, or at the end of last season. Needs some confidence and some rest.

It was a respectful game, but it also highlight the same things we have seen in the first 5 weeks of the season.

1 The chemistry going fwd is bad, our ball use going in, space in our 50 and ability to hit leads.
2 Our midfield rotations catch up with us.
Omerea and worpel can go with any midfield combo but they rarely get a rest outside the center square and fade out buy sheer volume of rotations against them.
3 Basic skill errors were lacking polish.

The obvious changes are Nash & Mirra.

I think we learnt roughy is best used up the ground and not as a deep forward at this stage off his career yesterday.
So do we have to bring in a tob ? Setup with a traditional F.F and C.H.F. which releases roughy and gunston,
Or do we keep gunston deep and play him out of the square.

If Miles comes in do we swing impey forward again?
Seems like they would be vying for the same spot.

Something like:
Nash-Out > Miles-In > Impey-Fwd.

Back 7:
FB: Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
HB: Sicily, Gunston, Miles
Int: Scrimshaw

Good balance of players who can play tall small and rebound.

If Shiels is ready id bring him in for Morrison. then id play Shiels, JOM, Worpel, Howe and Cousins through the center and Henderson, Smith, Scully and Impey rotating through the wings and HF.

Mid 8-10:
C: Smith, JOM, Scully
Foll: McEvoy, Worpel, Shiels
Int: Cousins, Howe

Lewis and Rough will need to rotate through the ruck at times and Wingard, Puopolo and Bruest will need to contend some center bounces but those 5 will spend majority of the game forward with Henderson/Impey/Smith/Scully rotating through.

Forward 7:
HF: Wingard, Lewis, Henderson
FF: Puopolo, Roughead, Bruest
Int: Impey

In: Stratton, Shiels, Miles
Out: Mirra, Morrison, Nash

This line up is maybe a bit small in the fwd half so id also consider TOB for Cousins.

Last edited:
Miles has to come in. I honestly believe he will make such a difference. Like he bloody did last year. I’ll talk about it until the cows come home. He is a natural zippy footballer who will do wonders in our team. Wouldn’t mind seeing CJ also at some stage, he’s a real diamond I believe: we’re not far off. Nash, Morrison and mirra to box hill for an extended time to work on their craft. Also have a feeling Hanrahan couple be one of those players more suited to the top level. With the game style of AFL compared to VFL he will naturally get more ball. Extremely smart and a good ball user.

Agree totally, can’t believe Miles isn’t playing, and couldn’t believe he was dropped last year. Provides good run and carry and has quality disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back