Preview Round 6, 2019: Hawthorn v Carlton, 28 April 2019, 3.20pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped:
- Nash (been undeserving of games since the finals last year, he needs to earn them via performing at Box Hill)
- Morrison (a passenger that doesn't offer enough in any position on the field currently)
- Mirra (placeholder for Stratton)
- Cousins

Return:
- Stratton
- Shiels
- Miles
- Ceglar

Hardwick - Brand - Stratton
Sicily - Scrimshaw - Impey

Big boy (If fit) - Jaeger - Shiels
Scully - Worpel - Henderson

Wingard - Lewis - Gunston
Breust - Roughie - Puopolo

Int: Ceglar, Smith, Howe, Miles​

I've got no issue with the inclusion of Miles. Will take it on and provide rebound, which we desperately need. I thought he was stiff to miss out on the first final last year. Had played a very decent block of footy before being dropped cold come finals time.

I think Miles should come back in as well but with all the offseason trade rumblings one has to wonder if he's in a similar position to what Will Brodie (Gold Coast) who asked for a trade back to VIC. I read somewhere that it was the Miles camp that wanted to explore his options rather than the club and if this is true then that might be why he's found himself stuck at BH. I've got absolutely no evidence apart from what I've read online but if Clarko feels as if he's not part of our future then that might explain why he's being overlooked as has been the case with Brodie who played on the weekend for the Suns (23 disposals).

Anyways in regards to team selection (pending injuries) I'd go with:

In - Stratton, Sheils, Miles
Out – Nash, Morrison, Mirra

• If Smith is lame he comes out instead of Mirra who keeps his spot
  • Scully must start on the wing
  • Sicily to be rotated with Gunston HB to HF
  • Roughie to be used as 2nd ruck again

N: Shiels, Stratton, Ceglar

OUT: Nash, Mirra, McEvoy

B: Stratton, Brand, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Impey

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: Ceglar, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Scully, Cousins, Howe, Morrison

Think McEvoy out with injury replaced by Ceglar. (if McEvoy OK then Ceglar not in)
Nash experiment is over. Bring in Shiels. Need extra midfielder.
Mirra out for Stratton (he was only in because Stratton a late out)
Keep Morrison because he is a smart player who covers for slack defenders and deserves another chance.
Keep Cousins because he has only had one bad game and we need to blood him. He is part of the future.
Lewis and Brand hold their spots because they both did well and will benefit from a string of games.

Was happy with Lewis, made us unpredictable at time and freed up Roughy especially early.

I havn't been a Nash basher but yesterday's performance will see him out.

Mirra, Nash, Morrison OUT
Stratts, Shiels, Miles/Jones/Moore in

Was happy with Lewis too. He looked good when he went deeper forward.
Agree with the general consensus of;

Mirra, Nash and Morrison OUT
Stratts, Shiels and Miles IN
Could see Ceglar in for BB??

Side note; Shoenmakers played for Box Hill on the weekend.. is he on managed minutes?

Couldnt be happier with Lewis on Sunday did some good things in one of the biggest games of the home and away season. Definitely persist.
You coudl tell he was nervous those two set shots he missed he would of nailed at BoxHill, I'm so excited to see him develop this year in the seniors!

Mirra - Stratton Nash -Shiels

You coudl tell he was nervous those two set shots he missed he would of nailed at BoxHill, I'm so excited to see him develop this year in the seniors!

Mirra - Stratton Nash -Shiels

They were 2 of the hardest set shots you can have and he almost nailed them, the kid has every bloody tool a quality big forward needs. Mitch is no different to Freos Tabiner, it took that bloke 4-5 years to really elevate his game, Mitch is a better version of him and a 10x better shot at goal.

Can not believe we had him at Box Hill for so long.. I think we absolutely persist with him until his 21 year old body says I need a rest. The great thing about Mitch is he is a genuine lump of a lad, now with his added endurance and athleticism he really adds a different dimension to our forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fb Stratts Brand Scrimshaw
Hb Impey Sicily Hardwick
W Scully Shiels Smith
Hf Wingard Lewis Hendo
Ff Poppy Gunston Bruest
R Mcevoy Omerea Worpel
Bench Howe,Roughy,Miles,Morrison

Out mirra,Nash,cousins
In stratts,Miles,shiels,

I am worried about leadership down back Stratton is the only one with leadership. I would almost say we need Roughy there.
Our forward set-up needs Gunston or Sicily as the full forward another option is tob.

Gunston played in defence against Geelong so we still haven’t seen how he and Lewis will work in tandem. I would like to see Lewis at full forward and Gunston at centre half forward with Roughead now in the midfield.

Miles for Morrison is pretty much a like for like. It’s time Morrison went back to the VFL to find some form. He still hasn’t played a good game this year and has been very disappointing as many would’ve tipped him to be the most improved player at the club but he’s stagnated.

Miles coming in would allow Impey to play in the midfield. Shiels back into the team also takes some of the heat off O’Meara, Worpel and Cousins.

They were 2 of the hardest set shots you can have and he almost nailed them, the kid has every bloody tool a quality big forward needs. Mitch is no different to Freos Tabiner, it took that bloke 4-5 years to really elevate his game, Mitch is a better version of him and a 10x better shot at goal.

Can not believe we had him at Box Hill for so long.. I think we absolutely persist with him until his 21 year old body says I need a rest. The great thing about Mitch is he is a genuine lump of a lad, now with his added endurance and athleticism he really adds a different dimension to our forward line.
Which shows how much I rate his kicking.

Gunston played in defence against Geelong so we still haven’t seen how he and Lewis will work in tandem. I would like to see Lewis at full forward and Gunston at centre half forward with Roughead now in the midfield.

Miles for Morrison is pretty much a like for like. It’s time Morrison went back to the VFL to find some form. He still hasn’t played a good game this year and has been very disappointing as many would’ve tipped him to be the most improved player at the club but he’s stagnated.

Miles coming in would allow Impey to play in the midfield. Shiels back into the team also takes some of the heat off O’Meara, Worpel and Cousins.

Impey has no tank mate, can’t see him playing midfield, it’s why he’s always played back or forward, someone with his pace should be on the wing but he just doesn’t have the engine. He is destined to be a Jarrod Harbrow clone for his career and I’m cool with that, very good defender.

Not sure why all the calls for Miles. Think he did well last year, but hasn't been banging the door down at BHH. And I don't think Clarko will make a change for change's sake as we have so many new guys learning the team structures and game plans.

I reckon:

Shiels in for Morrison. I've been so underwhelmed by Morrison. Looks like he is not trying and hasn't progressed. However, also understand it is harder with so many experienced guys missing. Just don't feel he has stepped up.

Stratton for Nash. Gunston goes forward. Hopefully Scully and Wingard have built fitness and can replace the pressure acts.

If Walker passes the fitness test he will line up for Box Hill on saturday. Minchington also set to play his first game which will help out our lack of depth. The injury list will slowly shrink right down over the next month.

Ben Stratton – concussion – test
Ben McEvoy – adductor soreness - test
Darren Minchington – hamstring – test
Liam Shiels – hamstring - test
Mathew Walker – knee – test
Jackson Ross – hamstring soreness – test
Jacob Koschitzke – concussion - test
Shaun Burgoyne – hamstring - 1 week
James Frawley – hamstring - 2-3 weeks
Grant Birchall – calf – indefinite
Tim Mohr – knee – season
Tom Mitchell – leg - season

I think it will be interesting to see if Nash keeps his spot, as it will say a lot about how the club views this season. If he plays, I reckon we've decided with Mitchell out for most of the year, it is largely a development season. We chose to have two guys in our forward line on the weekend with 4 goals between them across their entire career. That says to me we care more about getting games into Nash than we do about results. I know Ceglar's been poor and not the avenue to goal we hoped he could be, but I'd have persisted one more week with Ceglar, and instead dropped Nash to bring Lewis in.

I like the suggestions to bring Miles in, because while Impey has done some good things down back, I think he's better being cut loose further up the ground. Looks like he's playing a more accountable role at the moment , which I suspect is stymying his run.

Morrison still not getting enough of it, but Shiels for Cousins is a more like-for-like swap.

I'm guessing:
In: Stratton, Shiels
Out: Mirra, Cousins/Morrison

But hoping for:
In: Stratton, Shiels, Miles
Out: Mirra, Nash, Morrison

That's based on a team maximised for winning chances not player development. Until finals are not looking feasible I think we should hold off on gifting positions for develop reasons. We already have development selections forced on us by injury, so opting in to more development based selections than injury requires isn't ideal IMO (hence Out: Nash).

Unlike many posters, I don't think Mirra is anywhere near as terrible as people have made out. A few mistakes, but providing a contest and more spread/mobility than Brand can. Think he'll go though simply because Brand was decent, and someone has to make way for Stratton. Gunston back to the forward line allows Nash to come out without bringing another forward in.

What I think we need most is a lift from our senior group. Quibbling about fringe best 22 players like Morrison/Nash/Mirra etc is pointless IMO when guys like Gunston, Stratton, Breust and Smith are performing below their best. I'd add Shiels before his injury to that list too. I understand Smith may have played under duress, and is helping out in roles not best suited to his skill set, but whatever the reason, we are getting less out of him than we usually do. If it is the role and not form, then we need to find someone else to fill the role because he's far too valuable for us doing what he does best.

We should beat Carlton. If not for in game injuries we would probably be 4-1. Geelong is a decent team this year, and if we'd not leaked goals badly in time on at the end of each quarter it would have been a very close game. Makes me wonder if we might be extra vulnerable to in game injuries at the moment, as the end of quarter fade outs in that game suggest a fitness issue across the board that going a rotation (or two) down will exasperate.

Out: 4 points.
In: Another loss

But who knows, maybe we'll last a whole game and get a win. Not confident.

What a shocking call. We were barebones against the Saints, & put up a real fight against the Cats who are flag favourites.

We have the Blues down in Tassie and Clarko will be firing the boys up after a loss. Relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back