Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
It's already been mentioned in our autopsy thread but it bears repeating, I think there are two huge elements in our teams playing this season, two things that despite our sloppy skills and Dixon-ed goal kicking, have helped us through games.

The first thing is the determination. We aren't playing a heap better than last season (better but not a different league better), what's changed is the boys are not dropping their heads, and games that would previously slip from our feeble grasp are now being clawed back by our players who have rediscovered their spirit.

The second thing is I actually think the 2019 Saints especially are a team which has made an absence of the big stars of the competition a positive. We have very even performance from the top 6 to the bottom 6, and to a certain extent who's in or out doesn't have a huge bearing on the team's performance, besides maybe Marshall and a couple of others.

In the commentary during 3Q of the Hawks game, Hodge mentioned that he'd talked to players who'd played against the Saints this year to get a sense of us and one common comment was "They play as a team" and I think that's kind of related. System beats personnel.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another quick thought - we shouldn't be dropping Clark. It's fair enough to give someone like say, Dunstan, or Kent (or even Armo) one or two games and then drop them if they're not performing - they're seasoned players and should be able to flick the switch and get it done if given a chance. Clark is still raw and needs a block of games (I'd think 5 - 6 at least) to develop a form line and, more importantly gain some confidence in playing at the top level.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Another quick thought - we shouldn't be dropping Clark. It's fair enough to give someone like say, Dunstan, or Kent (or even Armo) one or two games and then drop them if they're not performing - they're seasoned players and should be able to flick the switch and get it done if given a chance. Clark is still raw and needs a block of games (I'd think 5 - 6 at least) to develop a form line and, more importantly gain some confidence in playing at the top level.
I don’t reckon anyone should get a block of games. Reason being if he doesn’t touch it and someone is knocking down the door in the seconds it sends a bad message. At the moment he would be our 19 to 22 player so depending on seconds form will decide his fait. Think he is just safe at the moment but does need to get a little more involved.

Jaxsons

Debutant
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
My gut feel is that Steven is lacking some serious match fitness. He is looking incredibly fat & disheveled. He looks like Ron Jeremy’s love child. I’d say Richo would be happy for Jack to take as long as he needs to get his body & mind right before returning.
Wish I was that fat.

On TRT-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
18 points would feel like a 10 goal flogging for us compared to our first few weeks, a less stressful game on the ol heart strings would be fantastic!!!

Ps guys... $3.40 on Sportsbet for 1-39 if any of you like a bit of a punt. Fantastic value there.

Gambling is bad m'kay kids, but our current form run set against a fairly obstinate set of odds (for us to lose each week) gives some insane multis. For example Saints to win by 1 - 39, Gresh first goal kicker and total score over (or under) 167.5 pays 100:1.

I am not like a heavy maths guy for sports betting (poker is more my thing) but us paying $3.50 for a 1 - 39 win with multis must surely be exploitable.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Gambling is bad m'kay kids, but our current form run against a fairly obstinate set of odds against gives some insane multis. For example Saints to win by 1 - 39, Gresh first goal kicker and total score over (or under) 167.5 pays 100:1.

I am not like a heavy maths guy for sports betting (poker is more my thing) but us paying $3.50 for a 1 - 39 win with multis must surely be exploitable.
Not if we lose

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
I love gambling but I never do sports better. The young guys at my footy club love sports betting
I lose multi after multi, won $126 on one this weekend but that probably wouldn’t even break even with my outlay on the bloody things this season.

Horses are more my go

cooperg

All Australian
Oct 3, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
In: Jack Steven, Jarryn Geary, Nick Hind
Out: Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Dan McKenzie (concussion- have a week off)

sainterryan

All Australian
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Steven and geary in. McKenzie and Parker out. Tough game. They will most likely beat us in the midfield so the backs need to play well again. Marshall just needs a contest in the ruck
Parker out on form or on injury?
I think he would have a field day against Melbourne who are a slow side, and a side that can get rattled easily. I can see him rattling the Melbourne defenders even if it is only for a half of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Long and Clark?!

Long was great up forward... Clark copped a knock mid game but up until then was playing great I thought.

Not sure about those two making way especially positional wise.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Parker out on form or on injury?
I think he would have a field day against Melbourne who are a slow side, and a side that can get rattled easily. I can see him rattling the Melbourne defenders even if it is only for a half of footy.
Form. Hits hard runs hard but hasn’t got the ball enough. Also might need a rest. And some confidence. I don’t believe players these days get scared of contact because they know it will be legal and hard and might hurt for a little while but they get up. They didn’t get up back in the 70’s

cooperg

All Australian
Oct 3, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben Paton would of been out but performed better than Long so he goes out. Other 3 automatic ins. Someone has to make way. Kent and Parker stay cause they free Billings and Gresh in the midfield. So they have to stay.

Curious what the reason is for saying Long to be dropped this week? He had a decent game.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ben Paton would of been out but performed better than Long so he goes out. Other 3 automatic ins. Someone has to make way. Kent and Parker stay cause they free Billings and Gresh in the midfield. So they have to stay.
Long played better than Kent?

And not sure playing Paton down back then down forward next week is a great remedy for success.

dude what game were you watching??? Clark was doing well till we had to move HB because of Dmacs injury, Long was crucial to our start, his goals in the first kept us in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back