Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MX4xNtl.png

Preview
Melbourne v St.Kilda

774871_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda overcame a 26 point third quarter deficit to overrun the Hawks in front of 36,000 fans at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

As for the Demons, they broke their run of poor form in a solid outing in Sydney last Thursday night, beating the Swans by a comfortable 22 points.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Jarryn Geary
C: Jack Sinclair, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Ben Long
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham
I/C: Blake Acres, Hunter Clark, Nick Hind, Daniel McKenzie

Melbourne Best 22
B:
Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Marty Hore
HB: Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Nathan Jones
C: Jayden Hunt, Clayton Oliver, Christian Salem
HF: Bayley Fritsch, Braydon Preuss, Angus Brayshaw
F: Charlie Spargo, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham
Foll: Max Gawn, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney
I/C: James Harmes, Sam Weideman, Corey Wagner, Josh Wagner

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2004%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Hawthorn/664249_gl.jpg[/IMG]

For the Saints, tough defender Daniel McKenzie was concussed in the second term and was ruled out of the contest. Speedy forward Matthew Parker went into the rooms in the second term to have a leg issue looked at but he came back on to the field.

As for the Demons, It was a game filled with big – but fair – hits that left several players heading to the bench to recover. Clayton Oliver and Angus Brayshaw hit the turf hard and needed assistance, but both played out the game. Big man Braydon Preuss had a knock to his shoulder but also returned. Coach Simon Goodwin said Oscar McDonald suffered a concussion while late withdrawals Neville Jetta and Jay Lockhart are expected to be right for this week.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/N2Hkvvu.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda have been one of the surprises so far this year, having beaten Gold Coast, Essendon and Hawthorn on their way to 3 wins - putting them in 5th spot at the end of Round 4 - only percentage off top spot. A resurgence from players like Jack Billings and Jade Gresham, and cameo performances from fan favourites Callum Wilkie & Matthew Parker has the Saints in a good position after the first month.

After trailing by as much as 26 points midway through the third term, the Saints found another gear, clawing their way back into the contest and taking the lead with less than 5 minutes to go from a Jack Lonie goal. It was a nail biting final few minutes, but the Saints found a way to hold on and continue their impressive start.

Once again the usual likes of Jack Billings & Seb Ross stood out for the home side, finishing with 34 and 39 disposals respectively. Ross, the stand-in skipper for the injured Jarryn Geary on the day, had one of his best performances for the Saints and was a deserved best on ground.

Other notable performances included Jack Lonie (17 disposals, 5 tackles, 3 goals), Jack Steele (27 disposals, 7 tackles), Blake Acres (26 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal) and Rowan Marshall (17 dispoals, 28 hit-outs and a goal).

And a special mention to first year player Callum Wilkie, who once again had a great performance for the Saints in defense, with 21 disposals but more importantly defensive efforts like these;

After losses to Port Adelaide, Geelong and Essendon, Melbourne were looking to get back on the winners list and get their season back on track as they flew to Sydney to face the Swans in what really was a must win clash for last years preliminary finalists.

They didn't disappoint, and after being challenged early the Demons kicked away to record their first win of the season, a hard earned 22 point victory which lifts them from the bottom of the ladder after four rounds.

Max Gawn & Clayton Oliver were tremendous again for the visitors. Gawn finishing the game with 19 disposals, 5 marks and a whopping 55 hit-outs to be adjudged the Demons best on ground. Oliver was instrumental in the middle as well, ending the night with 33 disposals and 7 marks.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/605557-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

Nick Hind once again staked his claim for an AFL debut after continuing his excellent form in the VFL - the speedy half back finished with 39 disposals and a goal for his best outing of the year.

Other notable inclusions could be champion on-baller Jack Steven who is dealing with issues outside of football and hopefully will be able to come back into the side.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/851/0*Y-l5EcLg5y6u8o2C.jpg[/IMG]

Max Gawn
After 55 hit-outs in Round 3, Max Gawn is clearly one player the Saints will need to keep an eye on on Saturday afternoon. Rowan Marshall has been in terrific form lately, and it must be said he did a good job to quell Hawthorn ruckman Ben McEvoy's influence, but this is a much bigger test for Marshall - Gawn is arguably the best ruckman in the game. If Preuss plays as well, like he did last weekend, it will make Rowan's job that much more difficult. If Marshall can nullify the influence from the middle the Saints will have a much better chance at coming away with the chocolates.

Clayton Oliver
St.Kilda's midfield brigade has been one of the positives in a strong start to the year, however players like Clayton Oliver always pose a threat. One would expect Jack Steele to take either Viney or Oliver. Oliver had 33 possessions on the weekend and was one of Melbourne's best, so you'd think Steele would be given the tagging role on the Demons star midfielder.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2004%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Hawthorn/664448_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Not unlike last weekend, this one will be a really close contest. Melbourne haven't started the year the way they would've liked but nobody can dismiss the talent they have on their list and you only need to look at last year to see how much they have improved as a side. Sure, they haven't started well, but they were back to it last Thursday night and looked like the Melbourne we expected coming into the year.

St.Kilda have surprised many, and if they had kicked straighter against Fremantle they would be a game clear on top of the ladder after four rounds. It's been a remarkable effort by Alan Richardson's men, and I'm sure the playing group will be hell-bent on continuing their great form.

As for a tip? Again, very hard to predict, however given the form line of both sides, and the fact we beat Melbourne last time we played them at the MCG (I must say too that our record at the MCG is quite good) I think the Saints will continue their strong start to the year and just get over the line in this one. I don't underestimate the Demons at all, I think they are a very strong side, but we match-up well with them and we are playing some really good football at the moment.

Saints by 8 points.

Thoughts?

Steven and geary in. McKenzie and Parker out. Tough game. They will most likely beat us in the midfield so the backs need to play well again. Marshall just needs a contest in the ruck

Steven and geary in. McKenzie and Parker out. Tough game. They will most likely beat us in the midfield so the backs need to play well again. Marshall just needs a contest in the ruck

Sounds about right for changes.

Kent probably the closest to being dropped and Hind deserves a look in after 39 in the 2nds.

Interesting week for selections.

To go 4-1 would be absolutely amazing. And we're a real chance too. Massive game.

According to a bloke on the Melbourne board we have “a bunch of mediocre players playing well atm”....

So my question to them is what does that make your blokes?!!

That’s me! Makes us a bunch of good players playing poorly. Wasn’t meant to be an insult mate, I don’t think anyone least of all here thinks you have a flag list playing out there. Particularly with three of your best on the sidelines. But you’re 3-1. On the other hand, we were close to flag favourites and we’re 1-3. Funny game, football.

That’s me! Makes us a bunch of good players playing poorly. Wasn’t meant to be an insult mate, I don’t think anyone least of all here thinks you have a flag list playing out there. Particularly with three of your best on the sidelines. But you’re 3-1. On the other hand, we were close to flag favourites and we’re 1-3. Funny game, football.

Mediocre is harsh I think mate, a lot of the mediocre players you’re referring to are young blokes that have actually really stepped up and improved on last year if I’m honest.

Then finding guys that we’ve brought in and that are playing well doesn’t necessarily make them mediocre! Maybe they aren’t bad players?!

I just think there needs to be some credit given to these blokes at the moment because we are getting next to nothing from anyone outside of our fans.

Last edited:
Nah, Melbourne are just pretenders mate

You were flag favourites by so called experts who have over four rounds to be proven to know SFA.

And why are you so arrogant. Made the finals once in 15 years after cheating to get players and you now think your s**t doesn't stink.

Well 1-3 is mediocre and so is the Melbourne Football Club.

Jog on noddy.

Typical Melbourne supporter, head up his own arse.
How’s that brilliant pick 2 trade for Dom Tyson and some other bloke going? 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Steven, Hind
Out: Kent, McKenzie

Roma has his biggest test coming up now. Gawn will likely dominate the hitouts, but we will see if he can beat him around the ground. I remember Hickey beat him a couple of times in that area. Also a test for our inside midfield brigade. If Hind comes in as I would like, we will be quicker than them. But with Gawn feeding it to Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney, our mids will have to be super accountable. Steven coming back in would help immensely.

Their backline has been their weakest area thus far. May is not expected to come back up this week so it will be left to Omac and Frost to cover Bruce and Membrey. Omac, in particular, is prone to some spudlike moments, and while Bruce and Membrey didn't have their best games today, the game emerges as a major scoring opportunity for them.

They should be favourites because they have a 10-day break vs our 6-day break, and our recent record at the MCG has not been good. However hopefully the Saints can have a real hot crack. If they manage to win, we will have the same amount of wins as we did last year :oops:

One thing I noticed in that list is how poor Melbourne's big 4 is in comparison to the rest of that list.

I mean every player in that list is probably A grade, but theirs and Carlton stand out as a bit below the rest in terms of quality. And Carlton would probably be on top if we were seeing doc in full form this year.

I think you have Brisbane's 4 right as of now, but by mid season I'd expect McLuggage to replace Cameron.
Nah, Melbourne are just pretenders mate
You were flag favourites by so called experts who have over four rounds to be proven to know SFA.

And why are you so arrogant. Made the finals once in 15 years after cheating to get players and you now think your s**t doesn't stink.

Well 1-3 is mediocre and so is the Melbourne Football Club.

Jog on noddy.
Typical Melbourne supporter, head up his own arse.
How’s that brilliant pick 2 trade for Dom Tyson and some other bloke going? 🤣

Lads, a month ago the consensus in here was that you'd botched the list build and the coach should have been canned. Thrilled for you that the younger players are standing up and the game plan is standing up. Forgive me if I don't think you have a top 8 list on paper. Did I come across like I was bigging up Melbourne in turn? As I said - good players playing like trash, and 1-3 is what we have on the board. I have expected to win our first four games this year and we've come up trumps in one. I don't expect to win this one. An organised side playing together will always beat a disorganised one.

Mediocre is harsh I think mate, a lot of the mediocre players you’re referring to are young blokes that have actually really stepped up and improved on last year if I’m honest.

Then finding guys that we’ve brought in and that are playing well doesn’t necessarily make them mediocre! Maybe they aren’t bad players?!

I just think there needs to be some credit given to these blokes at the moment because we are getting next to nothing from anyone outside of our fans.

Yep this seems fair. Has been good especially to see Billings put it all together. Some of these guys have taken huge strides from where they were.

Fair enough mate. I see where you were coming from. Nobody could have predicted the Saints would be 3-1, especially when they only won four matches in 2018. I have always thought the Saints list wasn't that bad, some great young players in there.

I honestly thought Richo wold be gone...but look at him now.
Not that we’ve reached the heights of bucks or dimma

But the last couple of years it seems the teams that have come under huge media scrutiny heading into the season come out and exceed expectations.

Now it’s 4 rounds in so I won’t get carried away but I think the group has grown a lot from last years experiences and so did the coaching staff including Richo.

Just a different feel, we believe in ourselves now, we would’ve lost that game today last year.

We have nothing to lose this week, 3-1 we go out and play our tails off we can be 4-1 heading into the Crows at Marvel?! Absolutely massive if we can get over the Dees.

Lads, a month ago the consensus in here was that you'd botched the list build and the coach should have been canned. Thrilled for you that the younger players are standing up and the game plan is standing up. Forgive me if I don't think you have a top 8 list on paper. Did I come across like I was bigging up Melbourne in turn? As I said - good players playing like trash, and 1-3 is what we have on the board. I have expected to win our first four games this year and we've come up trumps in one. I don't expect to win this one. An organised side playing together will always beat a disorganised one.

Yep this seems fair. Has been good especially to see Billings put it all together. Some of these guys have taken huge strides from where they were.

Don’t worry about them mate, they get very defensive of our players (and rightly so). You just came across a bit harshly towards our squad, we think highly of them. Regardless of what the outer world does.

Good luck for Saturday.

Ins for me would be:

Geary for McKenzie (concussion)
Steven for Kent (omitted)
Hind for Clark/Parker

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Majority of teams are made up of mostly average players according to opposition supporters.

I’d not swap any of Hunt, Harmes, Melhsham, Spargo, Stretch, Frost, O McDonald, Fritsch, Wagner x 2, ANB, Pruess, and this list doesn’t include N Jones who is near finished, for pretty much any Saint 22 who played today, and I’d argue there’s a few more.
Melbourne believed their own hype, and that is their right, but it has no real baring on this years standings.
They’re an average team with an excellent ruck and poor forward line. Hogan is a understated loss more in the fact that TMac is now focused as a forward and no longer a swing man, more work goes into him and the reality is, it’s much harder to be a full time forward than a pinch hitter.
I personally see him back in defence by mid year. Then who contests the forward entries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majority of teams are made up of mostly average players according to opposition supporters.

I’d not swap any of Hunt, Harmes, Melhsham, Spargo, Stretch, Frost, O McDonald, Fritsch, Wagner x 2, ANB, Pruess, and this list doesn’t include N Jones who is near finished, for pretty much any Saint 22 who played today, and I’d argue there’s a few more.
Melbourne believed their own hype, and that is their right, but it has no real baring on this years standings.
They’re an average team with an excellent ruck and poor forward line. Hogan is a understated loss more in the fact that TMac is now focused as a forward and no longer a swing man, more work goes into him and the reality is, it’s much harder to be a full time forward than a pinch hitter.
I personally see him back in defence by mid year. Then who contests the forward entries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d swap Melksham for Kent personally but agreed with the rest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sounds like Richo has the hots for Kent so I guess there's no way he's getting dropped. Geary, Steven and Hind would all be close you'd think, Hunter Clark struggled to make a real impact but he copped a few big hits and kept going.

In reality I think it will likely just be Geary for McKenzie who has had a few issues with concussions and getting knocked out in the VFL a few times. Which I guess I'm alright with, but * me surely Stuv would offer more even as a pure forward than Kent?

i dunno, going by richo's presser I think Kent might get dropped. He was basically praising him for not continuing his s**t game into the second half. I've heard richo use those kind of compliments before, and I don't think he's being malicious or anything, he's just positive like that, but really when it gets to selection Kent is out.

*and with this post I have guaranteed Kent's selection for the rest of the year :drunk:

No way our team will go crow how good a team we are , however no one rates us and we never get a break from the media.

media -
Coasters weak team , will not win a game
Bombers just rubble
Dockers - we were close because Fyfe got hurt ( should of won this one )
Hawks to many injuries

it's good most team's don't rate us because they will be surprised when they play us how hard they will be hit.

We had only 4 players who have played over 100 games and 6 guys who have not played over 20 today

Anyway people don't realize how long it takes guys to mature , just take a look at Billings , Gresham they are only start to show there worth after a few years in the system.

However we have another few guys who could totally become game changes once they get to play constant football.

Acres never has had a good run last year to due to niggling injury.
Marshall in just over 10 games is improving out of sight.
Steele is developing into a really good midfielder
Battle is only 20 and has played 11 games and he is already looking he can can hold down a key defensive position.

Then just look at a few of our kids who will need another season or so to get the bodies right.
This kids are talented , very talented

Hunter - Clarke
Coffield
Clavarino
Paton
M.King
Bytel

This 12 young guys could be the base for our team for the next 10 years , but patients must be taken , some of them are a bit to fragile atm.

Anyway this year with a few of these kids coming of age and a few new faces we could push just about every team.
Just the arrival of Parker , Wilkie , Kent , Marsh , Hind and Young has given us speed and depth and when you add Ross , Newnes , Webster , Long , Membery , Bruce , Sinclair , McKenzie we are a totally different side from last year with the addition of the new coaches.

The Hype about Hannerbery being a bust , is just the media beating everything up as usual , we needed a class player to come in to help these kids and if he can get on the park this year it will be a plus even if he is not as good as he was in his Swans days.

Anyway from today's side if we can pick up Steven , Geary , Carlisle , Hannerbery into the squad we could easily be playing finals this year with us getting a look at a easier draw in the later half of the year.

ATM the more games these guys play together the stronger the unit will become and the confidence is growing with every win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back