Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dunno, going by richo's presser I think Kent might get dropped. He was basically praising him for not continuing his s**t game into the second half. I've heard richo use those kind of compliments before, and I don't think he's being malicious or anything, he's just positive like that, but really when it gets to selection Kent is out.

*and with this post I have guaranteed Kent's selection for the rest of the year :drunk:

You might be onto something. Didn't he say positive things about Dunstan the week before dropping him. I would be very pleased if match committee drop Kent a week after dropping Dunstan.

This week is easy for me. Geary is right to play. Steven should be and Hind needs his chance.

Out: Patton, McKenzie ( Concussion ), and Kent.
In: Geary, Hind, Steven.

Looks reasonable, but to be honest, I didn't even notice Jonathon Patton out there last week (did we get him in a trade for Jack Lonie?).

Anyway, I would like to see Ben Paton hold his spot, but it'll be touch and go

Nah, we just have a pretty average list. We have less stars than most clubs and are very no name. Most of our players who looked high potential last year went backwards like Billings and Newnes. We are very even but have very few blue chips players. This year we have a few that made up ground and are showing a lot more. Carlton have a few more obvious high potential kids that get lots of hype but their overall list is patchy and young. If we play team footy we can over come a lack of star power but the list needs to keep improving and more players need to keep stepping up to become A grade or elite to go further.

Stars are overrated in todays game, I mean how well is Danger going really in comparison to Geelong as a club? Same deal with say DeGoey who many rate as a star but again, with the Pies failing around him they aren't amounting to much.

What matters is heart and head.

You can have all the ability in the world and you'll end up like Motlop hearing a siren and shitting yourself with the responsibility of winning the match, or you can be a maligned player often unknown who casually slot it no problem.

Because you want to be there, you want to try, you want to dig in, you want to surpass, you want to be the best you can be and you know how you can do this.

That's what we seem to be building towards at present, and why hearing them talk of belief, in that they can run, can wear out teams, can come back and can, can, can it's all positive and it's all growth, since as soon as you cannot or as soon as you devolve to "well Danger can...." you lose identity and you lose shape, can becomes cannot and you become predictable and die.

We don't need "A" grade or we'd end up like GCS in debut, a bunch of individuals with no team dynamic to speak of who bleed to become a team. You need belief fueling skill and skill fueling belief.

Stars are overrated in todays game, I mean how well is Danger going really in comparison to Geelong as a club? Same deal with say DeGoey who many rate as a star but again, with the Pies failing around him they aren't amounting to much.

You can have all the ability in the world and you'll end up like Motlop hearing a siren and shitting yourself with the responsibility of winning the match, or you can be a maligned player often unknown who casually slot it no problem.

Because you want to be there, you want to try, you want to dig in, you want to surpass, you want to be the best you can be and you know how you can do this.

That's what we seem to be building towards at present, and why hearing them talk of belief, in that they can run, can wear out teams, can come back and can, can, can it's all positive and it's all growth, since as soon as you cannot or as soon as you devolve to "well Danger can...." you lose identity and you lose shape, can becomes cannot and you become predictable and die.

We don't need "A" grade or we'd end up like GCS in debut, a bunch of individuals with no team dynamic to speak of who bleed to become a team. You need belief fueling skill and skill fueling belief.
You can pick and choose how sides are going with stars but to win a flag or even get top 4 you need stars. If it as simple as heart and head clubs wouldn’t waste their time getting stars to the club. Gold Coast is a poor example because they weren’t a real club. That takes time. That’s why gws are a huge chance this year

See that's the issue right there, your memory just isn't great. He's played plenty the same or better in the past. He's had plenty of injuries in between as well.

All the other cultist talk is just baiting/noise. Most of those sticking up for Acres are doing it purely based on his footy and performances from 2016-18 when played in the midfield.

Want to debate those breakout performances he had in the midfield? Fine, it's a footy forum, I and others sticking up for him are more than happy to hear why you think his performances against GWS a couple of times and Melbourne a couple of times (among others) as a midfielder in that time did not impress you. If you can't remember them, watch them again.

The rest is just nonsense.
In my opinion he has not played better, maybe to the same level but not for two seasons

He has a mature body and is injury free so now has no excuses.

And the cultist thing is a bit of fun, but there are some on here who wanted to point score and carry on like he was Ablett/Judd/Cripps all rolled into one after half a game.
The hype is incredible especially when compared to the vitriol towards Dunstan and Kent.

I was excited to see Acres play so well. I actually love it when he plays like that. That nonchalant mark and pinpoint pass off a step to Bruce was my highlight of the game.

I doubt the Dunstan and Kent haters would say the same when they have a good game.

Thing is my criticism of any player doesn't mean I don't want them to succeed. I wrote off Seb Ross years ago, but am wrapt the way he is running with it and playing this season.
I thought Jack Lonie was no good and we should trade him.
I have been wrong over and over. I dont care, I am an amateur, and just want every player on our list to go well.

At least I will admit it. And I am hoping Acres is another one.

I reckon there are plenty on here who would never ever admit they were wrong about anything about the club.

See that's the issue right there, your memory just isn't great. He's played plenty the same or better in the past. He's had plenty of injuries in between as well.

All the other cultist talk is just baiting/noise. Most of those sticking up for Acres are doing it purely based on his footy and performances from 2016-18 when played in the midfield.

Want to debate those breakout performances he had in the midfield? Fine, it's a footy forum, I and others sticking up for him are more than happy to hear why you think his performances against GWS a couple of times and Melbourne a couple of times (among others) as a midfielder in that time did not impress you. If you can't remember them, watch them again.

The rest is just nonsense.

It's possible to have multiple breakout performances?

I guess it is, as long as you're willing to accept that acres has had plenty of 'break in' performances.... between his 'break out' performances.

Crowd prediction for Saturday?!

I think we should hopefully turn up, not many games at the G and I know for a fact I love every chance we get to run out there, never miss a G game.

Hoping it can get over 50k.

You need to get a gig as a motivational guru

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Dmac (concussion) Kent (form) Parker (ankle injury)
In: Geary Stuv Joyce

Hind is busting the door down however feel it would be unfair on Patton to drop him after doing a great job in his role last week and with Dmac being a possible out due to concussion makes room for the skipper to return.

Really hope Stuv has made up some ground on the training track and is primed for a Stuv-like game. We have missed him in the middle.

I wonder if we bring in a second ruck? Do we play an extra tall up forward??

The only Time our forward line was potent was when Marshall went down to Mix things up.

Do we maybe bring in Joyce to release Battle forward?? (Yes battle has been solid down back but something has to be done up forward)

Selection committee has some headaches this week.

My guess:

Geary Brown Wilkie
Savage Joyce Webster
Billings Acres Newnes
Gresham Membrey Long
Battle Bruce Stuv

Marshall Steele Ross

Sincs Lonie Patton Clark

Hind Dunstan Kent Young​

Hey guys. Enjoyed watching your uncontested game against Hawthorn in the final quarter. I find St Kilda one of those sides that could roll anyone on their day. Over the last 4-5 years I’ve seen you beat Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, WB, GWS, and get really close to WC in Perth. You have this ability to turn it on. My thoughts why;

1. Speed. You have players with speed. You really utilise these types and let them go for it.
2. Space. Whenever I see a Saints player get into space you know they can do some damage.
3. Uncontested footy. Huge in my opinion. Ross is ranked 5th, Billings 8th and Newnes 34th. I believe uncontested football is underrated now. So many clubs have a plethora of inside types. Look at us.

I seriously worry about how we will go. We get sucked into contests and when the ball spits out we are all in the wrong spot. If those 3 get space then you’ll get a run on and kick it into that big space for Membrey and Bruce to run into. Our zone gets dragged up also.

I am not sure how Hannebery will go, but if you can acquire a few more quality players in the off season (KPD, an elite midfielder) then you should be on your way to be finals bound more consistently from 2020. You’re a good chance this year of course, but might not do it until next.

Huge game for us. The win is critical. We’ve been dire.

Paton was tremendous in the last quarter. Did some great things. Promising. Might be unlucky. Kent needs some touch. Works hard and is probably doing the team things. After his great goal against the Suns I thought he would be reliable in front of goal. And though it wasn't in front his shot late in Sunday's game was a shocker. Might make room, but unless it is Jack Steven I don't think anyone else is in line for a small forward role. Wonder how McKenzie is? Brave lad.

They have had their eye on Hind since the off season. Will come in at some stage. Geary back in. Jack Steven....who knows. Am counting him out for now.

Greetings Sainters, have to say I'm really looking forward to this game. Think it's close to a genuine 50/50. 3-1 is a good start to the year and this game is a great opportunity for you guys to build some more momentum going into the next 4 or so weeks which look pretty difficult. On the other hand, we've had a slow start to the year but we are coming off a win so the opportunity is there for Melbourne as well to build momentum and get our season going. Good luck on Saturday, should be an intriguing match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back