Other Teams
76ers
Round 5 – Richmond vs Sydney
tigesswans.png

Where: Telstra Dome
Time: Saturday 7.25pm
TV: 7
Radio: TBC

After two straight weeks on the road, we now have to make our annual trek to the non-traditional football community of the Docklands. Some 2 decades into this expansion experiment, I’m yet to see any growth of football in the area, but at least unlike the Cairns experiment, we haven’t lost to the Suns there.

To start the year, we have continued our blessed run with injuries, and despite being immensely disappointing for much of the first 3 rounds, we find ourselves 2-2 after a few fresh faces, and a few old faces, led us to what will be a famous and hopefully season-defining victory over Port.
Sydney, on the other hand, are looking as shaky as they’ve looked in many years, sitting 1-3, and their only win coming unconvincingly over the train wreck that is Carlton. While 2017 taught us to think twice about writing them off, another underwhelming performance this week will make it very difficult to see them turning it around.

~~~

Last Year
Round 15 @ Marvel/Etihad Stadium
r519.png

Despite being jumped early and losing Reece Conca to an ankle injury early in the first quarter, we took the lead from late in the first quarter and from there were never headed, despite the Swans rallying around 3 quarter time.
Jack Riewoldt played possibly his best AFL game, taking 16 marks and kicking 3 goals.
Highlights included Vlastuin taking a HUUUGGGE grab over Franklin, and Daniel Rioli’s one handed mark/play on banana goal.

~~~​

History
We have played numerous classic matches against the Swans over the years, and, along with the Hawks, were a frequent scalp for the club during the early Hardwick years

2010 R14, MCG: Richmond 14.5 (89) def Sydney 12.13 (85)
Sydney were doing as expected midway through the 3rd quarter, leading by 33 points against the lowly Tigers. Then Richmond flipped the game on its head, kicking 8 of the last 10 goals, including two to Andy Collins, who’d just been knocked out, to win it. At the end of the year we traded him for some spud from Carlton.

2014 R23, ANZ: Richmond 10.8 (68) def Sydney 9.11 (65)
We all know the story, 9 became a lucky number for us, here’s the highlights.

Unfortunately we didn’t end up playing finals that year, at least that’s what I remember?

2016 R8, MCG: Richmond 14.17 (101) def Sydney 15.10 (100)
“Lloyd from 45 to win the game! He’s got it! The tigers have won by a point! A kick after the siren!”

~~~
Now, on to the actual game
~~~​

Expected Line Ups
Richmond
FB: Broad, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Vlastuin, Edwards, Houli
C: Ellis, Martin, McIntosh
HF: Rioli, Castagna, Graham
FF: Prestia, Lynch, Ross
Fol: Nankervis, Caddy, Lambert
I/C: Higgins, Bolton, Balta, Stack

IN: Martin, Houli
OUT: Baker, Menadue

I’m going to put it out there that I have no ideawho goes out for Martin. We kind of have 5 players with legitimate claims as small forwards, I didn’t really pay much attention to our centre set ups on Saturday but I assume we used at least one of them in every centre bounce. I reckon we have space for 4 when we aren’t missing both of our Brownlow duo, acknowledging that Higgins is a bit of a mid-fwd now.
Rioli and Higgins are pretty much locks now.
Bolton was pretty good, probably his best performance at AFL level.
That leaves Castagna and Baker. We usually lean towards leaving premiership players, so I’ll say Baker makes way, but equally if the coaches take some heart from some of the fresh faces we’ve got performing, perhaps they’ll leave Baker in.
So I reckon either Baker or Castagna, but someone else could go out too, I really have no idea.
Dusty WILL PLAY if fit though, if you reckon we’ll drop him please take your dirty thoughts outta here.

As for the other one, Menadue didn’t show much we didn’t already know. Houli was a late out, surely he’ll be ready this week. Only argument against him playing is the short break after this game.

Sydney
No idea. Normally I’d look on the opposition board for changes but the complete lack of enthusiasm on their board was killing me, maybe there’s some better posts more recently but I couldn’t get there. They’re not melting over there, they’ve all settled on them being no-hopers. Fair enough I guess.

This was their line up last week
FB: Mills, Rampe, McCartin
HB: Lloyd, Aliir, Jones
C: Hewett, Parker, Florent
HF: Cunningham, Reid, Heeney
FF: Dawson, Franklin, Ronke
Fol: Sinclair, Kennedy, Papley
I/C: Thurlow, Jack, Blakey, McInerney

~~~

Key Matchups
T Stick vs Buddy
T stick.png

buddy.png

I highly doubt we’ll see these two line up directly on one another, but I think they will both have a massive impact on the game. Despite the indifferent form of much of the rest of the team, T Stick has hardly put a foot wrong, kicking 3, 3, 4 and 6 goals, and now sits 2ndin the Coleman standings. Dimma won’t rule out JR8 from playing but I’m going to assume he’ll miss. Sydney don’t seem to have a match up for him, Kane Lambert reckons he’s still got improvement in him (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-04-15/underdone-but-scary-lynch-still-getting-it-done), if he can get off the chain it could be glorious viewing for tigers supporters. On the other hand, if Sydney can curtail him, we’ve found it difficult to find other avenues to goal, and it could go a long way to them winning.
Buddy - I really think he’s past it and I’ve thought that for a while. He just doesn’t look as lean anymore and that athleticism is what really set him apart. But he is still a great player and even past it great players can turn back the clock on occasion. Our matchup for him is usually Rance, it’s one of few occasions each year we have Rance go head to head with a key forward and I look forward it annually. However, s**t happens, and now we have to change. If our plan doesn’t work, and Buddy turns back the clock – uh oh.

Now, if both players get off the chain, we could have ourselves a 90s style shootout between two big key forwards.

~~~

Tip
Our performance last Saturday was much more Richmondy than anything else this year, we really went back to the roots of our game plan and showed that our pressure is still bloody hard to beat.
Sydney looked good for about a quarter and a half but then fell away sharply.
As long as we keep that baseline pressure we brought last week, I think we are the better team and should win. Dusty has been underwhelming but he walks into a bit of a rejuvenated side and I think it will do him wonders.

That said, Sydney haven’t been smashed in any of their games so I can’t predict any sort of dominant win. I think it will be pretty close for the first half before we pull away a bit for a 34 point win.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
View attachment 655201

After two straight weeks on the road, we now have to make our annual trek to the non-traditional football community of the Docklands. Some 2 decades into this expansion experiment, I’m yet to see any growth of football in the area, but at least unlike the Cairns experiment, we haven’t lost to the Suns there.

To start the year, we have continued our blessed run with injuries, and despite being immensely disappointing for much of the first 3 rounds, we find ourselves 2-2 after a few fresh faces, and a few old faces, led us to what will be a famous and hopefully season-defining victory over Port.
Sydney, on the other hand, are looking as shaky as they’ve looked in many years, sitting 1-3, and their only win coming unconvincingly over the train wreck that is Carlton. While 2017 taught us to think twice about writing them off, another underwhelming performance this week will make it very difficult to see them turning it around.

~~~

Last Year
View attachment 655199
Despite being jumped early and losing Reece Conca to an ankle injury early in the first quarter, we took the lead from late in the first quarter and from there were never headed, despite the Swans rallying around 3 quarter time.
Jack Riewoldt played possibly his best AFL game, taking 16 marks and kicking 3 goals.
Highlights included Vlastuin taking a HUUUGGGE grab over Franklin, and Daniel Rioli’s one handed mark/play on banana goal.

~~~​

History
We have played numerous classic matches against the Swans over the years, and, along with the Hawks, were a frequent scalp for the club during the early Hardwick years

Sydney were doing as expected midway through the 3rd quarter, leading by 33 points against the lowly Tigers. Then Richmond flipped the game on its head, kicking 8 of the last 10 goals, including two to Andy Collins, who’d just been knocked out, to win it. At the end of the year we traded him for some spud from Carlton.

Unfortunately we didn’t end up playing finals that year, at least that’s what I remember?

“Lloyd from 45 to win the game! He’s got it! The tigers have won by a point! A kick after the siren!”

~~~
~~~​

Expected Line Ups
Richmond

I’m going to put it out there that I have no ideawho goes out for Martin. We kind of have 5 players with legitimate claims as small forwards, I didn’t really pay much attention to our centre set ups on Saturday but I assume we used at least one of them in every centre bounce. I reckon we have space for 4 when we aren’t missing both of our Brownlow duo, acknowledging that Higgins is a bit of a mid-fwd now.
That leaves Castagna and Baker. We usually lean towards leaving premiership players, so I’ll say Baker makes way, but equally if the coaches take some heart from some of the fresh faces we’ve got performing, perhaps they’ll leave Baker in.
So I reckon either Baker or Castagna, but someone else could go out too, I really have no idea.
Dusty WILL PLAY if fit though, if you reckon we’ll drop him please take your dirty thoughts outta here.

As for the other one, Menadue didn’t show much we didn’t already know. Houli was a late out, surely he’ll be ready this week. Only argument against him playing is the short break after this game.

Sydney
No idea. Normally I’d look on the opposition board for changes but the complete lack of enthusiasm on their board was killing me, maybe there’s some better posts more recently but I couldn’t get there. They’re not melting over there, they’ve all settled on them being no-hopers. Fair enough I guess.

~~~

Key Matchups
T Stick vs Buddy
View attachment 655200
View attachment 655198
I highly doubt we’ll see these two line up directly on one another, but I think they will both have a massive impact on the game. Despite the indifferent form of much of the rest of the team, T Stick has hardly put a foot wrong, kicking 3, 3, 4 and 6 goals, and now sits 2ndin the Coleman standings. Dimma won’t rule out JR8 from playing but I’m going to assume he’ll miss. Sydney don’t seem to have a match up for him, Kane Lambert reckons he’s still got improvement in him (https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-04-15/underdone-but-scary-lynch-still-getting-it-done), if he can get off the chain it could be glorious viewing for tigers supporters. On the other hand, if Sydney can curtail him, we’ve found it difficult to find other avenues to goal, and it could go a long way to them winning.
Buddy - I really think he’s past it and I’ve thought that for a while. He just doesn’t look as lean anymore and that athleticism is what really set him apart. But he is still a great player and even past it great players can turn back the clock on occasion. Our matchup for him is usually Rance, it’s one of few occasions each year we have Rance go head to head with a key forward and I look forward it annually. However, s**t happens, and now we have to change. If our plan doesn’t work, and Buddy turns back the clock – uh oh.

Now, if both players get off the chain, we could have ourselves a 90s style shootout between two big key forwards.

~~~

Tip
Our performance last Saturday was much more Richmondy than anything else this year, we really went back to the roots of our game plan and showed that our pressure is still bloody hard to beat.
As long as we keep that baseline pressure we brought last week, I think we are the better team and should win. Dusty has been underwhelming but he walks into a bit of a rejuvenated side and I think it will do him wonders.

That said, Sydney haven’t been smashed in any of their games so I can’t predict any sort of dominant win. I think it will be pretty close for the first half before we pull away a bit for a 34 point win.

Any preview that has a graph or a table is a class above or else. Great preview :thumbsu:

Tigerbob68

????????????
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 655201

~~~

Last Year
View attachment 655199

~~~​

History

~~~
~~~​

Expected Line Ups
Richmond

Sydney

~~~

Key Matchups
T Stick vs Buddy
View attachment 655200
View attachment 655198

~~~

Tip

Nice work :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigerbob68

????????????
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I;ve never been to marvel stadium so can you just rock up early and get a seat in general admission
Probably can even though Sydney will drag a bigger crowd than some of the other interstate teams we've played there. Being Easter there might be a lot of people away too. Only problem is GA is generally upstairs there. It's always worth asking at the ticket booth if there's any cheap seating downstairs. My Mum and I got seating downstairs for no extra cost a couple of times when she came to home games there. Of course, that was before the premiership and 100,000 members!!!!!

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
Probably can even though Sydney will drag a bigger crowd than some of the other interstate teams we've played there. Being Easter there might be a lot of people away too. Only problem is GA is generally upstairs there. It's always worth asking at the ticket booth if there's any cheap seating downstairs. My Mum and I got seating downstairs for no extra cost a couple of times when she came to home games there. Of course, that was before the premiership and 100,000 members!!!!!
might try that, thanks

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
AFL news says St Kilda will pursue Zak Jones.
Sydney compromised its salary space with the Franklin payment, rising to $1.5 million.
As for this match, less is more.
In: Martin. Out: Menadue.
(It is no disgrace to be omitted for one of the greatest Richmond players of all time.)
Houli should return for the Anzac match, no need to rush.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Quietly confident after last week, however without Rance we dont have a great matchup for Buddy which worries me as he could be the match winner. Never write off a champion like him.

Astbury might not be athletic enough and Grimes is a little undersized for role that Rance was just the perfect mix of size athleticism for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back