Autopsy Round 5 2019 Swans Vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse took a good list to 3 GFs then rebuilt it without ever missing finals and will take it to more GFs from 2021, despite the AFL intervening in that process with their trade bans and removal of the cost of living allowance. Hardwick took a young side with plenty of talent up to just one GF. In the same period Clarko took a prime team to 4GFs but IMO is struggling to rebuild the next generation. What's your point ?

The nightmare of Horse still coaching in 2021...isn’t this year bad enough?

[QUOTE="Wolftone, post: 60465764, member: 128109"
Kizza had a lamentable 250th. [/QUOTE]

Kizza himself had a solid enough game. He was the main feed for chains of successful inside 50s during the first half. Clean possessions, quick decisions and some smart plays while others were wilting under pressure. Probably didn't enjoy having to spend so much time down back (see turnovers).

Nice to have a culture where more and more players want to build their entire career around our club.

Who’s the no 1 pick in the draft going to be? That gets me excited.
Noah Anderson ATM but likely to change during the season. It's not often that the anticipated no.1 selection is still in that position come draft day. Plenty of mids to select from but I don't know how strong the pool is this year.

Horse took a good list to 3 GFs then rebuilt it without ever missing finals and will take it to more GFs from 2021, despite the AFL intervening in that process with their trade bans and removal of the cost of living allowance. Hardwick took a young side with plenty of talent up to just one GF. In the same period Clarko took a prime team to 4GFs but IMO is struggling to rebuild the next generation. What's your point ?
It should also be noted that Hawthorn had heaps of high draft picks in that era of super drafts. They did a bit of tanking to get them too along with other clubs such as Collingwood, Melbourne, etc. We've had none of this advantage.

I dunno - I didn't mind that game. We did try to move it differently - sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't and we got torched.
Yep delivery into the forwards (as they were) was often wanting - but then again our forward line dropped so many gettable contested marks. Comments above about not kicking it to Bud expecting him to take a contested mark are pretty spot on too. The lead or nothing in most cases.
Buddy's second half was his best by a country mile this year though. Encouraging. Looks like no Davis next week too.
Rowbottom had a very solid debut. Happy to get a block of 3/4 games into him now.
Florent and Dawson looked better at the level. Florent even put the hurt on an opponent! :oops:
Papley and Heeney were solid.

I'd like to see Jack, Mills and Ronke be rested - Ronke's form all year has been wanting and Mills could use a week's total rest I think. Wouldn't even play him in the 2s - just some work developing his speed and bring him back refreshed and ready to impact.

Bring in COR (BoG in the 2s) to replace Mills, Rose(or even Wicks) for Jack, Stoddart maybe for Ronke (though who plays the forward pressure role I'm not sure) I would love to see someone with instructions to do nothing but get front and centre of the forward contests though.

I don't think we were that far off making a game of it.

I was very interested that a players' only meeting went on after the game. Not sure how often that happens, but it says to me that there's a good deal of frustration amongst, particularly, the senior players. Perhaps they were under the impression they'd be a much better team than what they are right now.

This is where the messaging from the club has been not helping imo. They keep saying we're trying as hard as we can to be competitive and be a finals team and that we can turn it all around while playing a lot of young players and talking at the same time about rejuvenation. That's ok when we're winning like in 2016 but if we're losing, frustration can build very easily and I think some more clarity is needed.

This is where stats lie. Horse inherited a top eight side. Hardwick inherited a bottom side. The stats on games won favour Horse over Clarkson too but Clarko won 4 premierships to Horse's 1. See stats do lie.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Talk about missing the point but totally expected.

Not sure if I agree with the 'you can't change your style in 1 off season'. There's lots of examples to the contrary.

Richmond were playing a possession game in 16, completely overhauled the way they played in one off season. Many of their players commented on making footy fun again, you could see they were playing with renewed energy. (Players don't want to play a dour chipping, sideways game style).
Collingwood did similar last year.
Beveridge overhauled the Bulldogs in one off season when he took over to take them to finals in 15.
Even Lyon overhauled the Dockers in an off season to get them into the finals his first year.

I agree we're going slightly more corridor based than last year...but when you get it in there you have to get it moving quick and get your forwards one on one. We're getting it in there and still crabbing it around as if we were in the back pocket. Our forwards don't get the same opportunities we're conceding to the opposition.

Talk about missing the point but totally expected.

Really good to see some self reflection from you Banyo Bloods.

...and bloody hell I was stuck in the back seat of the car with SEN on. Sure enough they replayed part of Jose Horsey's presser. Ex Mrs B52 is a Tiger fan and was driving and turned it up. (a cruel and heartless woman)

So on comes Horse and I have my hands over my ears and I am humming "Mumma's Little Baby loves shortening shortening". Damn, I can still register the monotonic Horse intoning the need for greater effort. Hell on wheels (in this case, four).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
Rowbottom
Dawson
Rampe on Lynch. Gave him a bath.
Buddy - four goals and troubled our defence all night.

although Swans lost the centre clearances, I thought there around the ground stoppages were really good.
Swans run the ball out of the backline so impressively, but then seem to stop and prop and look for an option sideways. Just needs a bit of tinkering with to be more direct. Perhaps it risks a quick re-entry back into the opposition's forward line, but sometimes you have to take a risk.

Last edited:
Plenty of clowns on here suggesting because Mills got caught with the ball once off a hospital pass means he can't play midfield. Does the same go for heeney and jones who were caught multiple times in the same game. Not a "360 player", the garbage on here is unbelievable.

Plenty of clowns on here suggesting because Mills got caught with the ball once off a hospital pass means he can't play midfield. Does the same go for henry and jones who were caught multiple times in the same game. Not a "360 player", the garbage on here is unbelievable.

people will make any excuses

It took Richmond several years to learn this new style and almost cost Hardwick his job. It will take some time, but unfortunately all of the other clubs have a head start on us.

No that is the exact opposite of the truth

Richmond were playing a short chip chip game and NOT going forward at all. They played the game like us but with a worse list.

Hardwick with some new assistants, some half decent players like, I dunno Heeney and Mills types, literally said * it lets attack because I am sacked anyway and what do you know....it worked almost immediately.

The players trust it and they profit.

Horse has us so restricted they trust nothing and it shows.

A Richmond seconds team run and gunned us, looked him up and tried to win instead of trying not to lose.

It was obvious which team had trust in a system and enjoyed it and were prepared to buying.

Richmond completely changed their club with the snap of the coaches fingers.

Our list is fine, and it is the coaches list, he could too.

He can't though. Too stubborn. It is all on him.

Really good to see some self reflection from you Banyo Bloods.

...and bloody hell I was stuck in the back seat of the car with SEN on. Sure enough they replayed part of Jose Horsey's presser. Ex Mrs B52 is a Tiger fan and was driving and turned it up. (a cruel and heartless woman)

So on comes Horse and I have my hands over my ears and I am humming "Mumma's Little Baby loves shortening shortening". Damn, I can still register the monotonic Horse intoning the need for greater effort. Hell on wheels (in this case, four).

Hey Blue Dye keep on poking you walloper

Plenty of clowns on here suggesting because Mills got caught with the ball once off a hospital pass means he can't play midfield. Does the same go for heeney and jones who were caught multiple times in the same game. Not a "360 player", the garbage on here is unbelievable.

I guess we will not know if Mills can be effective in the mids until Horse departs. He may not be the quickest mid going around but he is a quick and sensible decision maker. For me he must get a go.

Mills has to go into the midfield.

I have no idea how he will go in the short term, but we invested a lot to get him and we need to give him an opportunity to perform in his chosen position.

Yep cannot be any worse than he currently is as a medium defender.

I guess we will not know if Mills can be effective in the mids until Horse departs. He may not be the quickest mid going around but he is a quick and sensible decision maker. For me he must get a go.

Yep and Horse needs a reality check that doing the same thing over and over again is just insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back