Autopsy Round 5 2019 Swans Vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Florent 22 (20w, 2i)
Jones 22 (18i, 4w)
Parker 17
Kennedy 17 (1w)
Dawson 15 wing
Heeney 14 (10i, 4w)
Hewett 12 (Martin 13)
Jack 6 wing
Papley 3
Thurlow 1 wing
Clarke 1 wing

Rucks:

Sinclair 22
Reid 3
Aliir 1

1st Half - 14

Florent 12 (11w, 1i)
Jones 12 (8i, 4w)
Parker 10
Kennedy 10 (9i, 1w)
Dawson 9 wing
Heeney 7 (5i, 2w)
Hewett 7 (Martin 5)
Papley 2
Jack 1 wing

Sinclair 12
Reid 2

2nd Half - 12

Florent 10 (9w, 1i)
Jones 10
Parker 7
Kennedy 7
Heeney 7 (5i, 2w)
Dawson 6 wing
Hewett 5 (Martin 8)
Jack 5 wing
Papley 1
Thurlow 1 wing
Clarke 1 wing

Sinclair 10
Reid 1
Aliir 1

Notes:

- First time Dawson has finished in your top 6 mids (in analysed games), he was switched to the backline for Q4 though. Being an inside mid, he still has the weird stat of having more starts as ruck than an inside mid in analysed games.
- The coaching philosophies between the two coaches was very stark in the use of the 2 inside mid draftees: whilst Rowbottom didn't get a rotation, Ross played a full game as an inside mid (starting at 21 bounces). Assuming AFL Stats are correct, Rowbottom is 7kgs lighter than Ross though. FWIW, Higgins (2nd Year) also featured in their top 5 inside mids and Baker (2nd Year) also got a start. Average Age Comparison of their top 5 inside mids (Prestia, Ross, Martin, Caddy & Higgins) vs. yours: 23.4 vs. 25

Opening bounce, we win the clearance, Buddy clear 2 metres ahead of grimes, Instead of lace out to adavantage Papley puts the ball on Buddy's head. Soon after Ronke great lead to space, Florents kick bounces 2 metres in front of Ronke. Zac Jones contributed to 5 Richmond goals through turnovers. Our skills are not up to scratch.

Heeney gut run on the wing, nice mark, plenty of room to swing round and push forward. Instead circles back, 5 seconds plus to hit someone 15 metres away while Richmond stream back and fill and holes: this has to be coaching/game plan. Buddy must be ignoring Horse because he swings and plays on whenever possible.

The guys look stressed, unconfident, almost scared to take the game on. It's awful to watch.

When Jake Lloyd wins Bobby you know we've got issues.

You can't take one play in isolation and claim it is representative.
There are plenty of plays where we "took the game on" only to turn it over. Despite claims to the contrary, is not any better than slow chip chip.
Lots write that our skills are a big problem, confidence...then blame the game plan.

This isn't working let's do something else is a vicious circle, tried and failed by clubs like Carlton and St Kilda.

IMO, if the team was picked only on current form. JPK, Lloyd, Parker, Buddy, Hewett, Mills, Ronke (& probably a few others as well) would struggle to get a game. When that many players are out of form is it any wonder that the team is struggling?

Mills is badly out of form, play him in the 2's as a midfielder and ask him to force his way into the seniors midfield.

Mills is badly out of form, play him in the 2's as a midfielder and ask him to force his way into the seniors midfield.

No doubt he is out of form. After he looked ok pre-season in the mids, Horse will not play him there. Asking him to now force his way back as a mid is just risible. Mills is a bloody talented footballer who Horse has turned into a hack back pocket. Unless there is change of coach Mills should get his manager on the phone to other clubs.

So just read the Swans news article where Horse sights our disposal was not good enough. Seriously, this blokes brain is running 2-3 years behind. We have been this way for the last 2-3 years and nothing, NOTHING! has changed. In fact, disposal has gotten worse. Yet despite this he continues to have the team playing a style of game that literally relies on us utilising what we are s**t at. It's completely idiotic. Does he not think about it and go, "Holy s**t! I'm getting the boys to play in a way they are incapable of playing?" or is he that ******* delusional, he thinks this is a passing trend.

No doubt he is out of form. After he looked ok pre-season in the mids, Horse will not play him there. Asking him to now force his way back as a mid is just risible. Mills is a bloody talented footballer who Horse has turned into a hack back pocket. Unless there is change of coach Mills should get his manager on the phone to other clubs.

Rewriting history does not help whatever point you were trying to make.
Mills was picked in the back pocket at the start of his career because there is no way he would have found a place in our midfield at that time.
For a variety of reasons he hasn't found his way into the midfield.
It is not the end of the world nor is it indicative of a conspiracy by the coach.
If we start letting players in poor form dictate where they should play then it sets a horrible precedent that without question can only lead to eroding standards.

You can't take one play in isolation and claim it is representative.
There are plenty of plays where we "took the game on" only to turn it over. Despite claims to the contrary, is not any better than slow chip chip.
Lots write that our skills are a big problem, confidence...then blame the game plan.

This isn't working let's do something else is a vicious circle, tried and failed by clubs like Carlton and St Kilda.

IMO, if the team was picked only on current form. JPK, Lloyd, Parker, Buddy, Hewett, Mills, Ronke (& probably a few others as well) would struggle to get a game. When that many players are out of form is it any wonder that the team is struggling?

I could name many other plays where we did the same thing. Besides that confidence is down, why? We can only speculate.
Re Mills, yep play him him in the middle, I reckon he'll struggle but happy to be proven wrong.

I could name many other plays where we did the same thing. Besides that confidence is down, why? We can only speculate.
Re Mills, yep play him him in the middle, I reckon he'll struggle but happy to be proven wrong.

He is struggling in defence, may as well give him a proper shot in the midfield as we won't be losing anything moving him out of defence.

He is struggling in defence, may as well give him a proper shot in the midfield as we won't be losing anything moving him out of defence.
Agreed. I still think he'll struggle.

Just as many plays we 'take the game on' and turn it over.
Confidence is another vicious circle.
The easy way out is to blame the coach.
That is not the same as saying that the coach doesn't have responsibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very interested that a players' only meeting went on after the game. Not sure how often that happens, but it says to me that there's a good deal of frustration amongst, particularly, the senior players. Perhaps they were under the impression they'd be a much better team than what they are right now.

Was there an article regarding the players only meeting? Would like more info about this if there is any

Agreed. Papley is going at 18-19 disposals a game, that's a below average mid's numbers.

Papley isn't playing 100% midfield time though, he said so in an interview last week. The last three week it's seemed like he's been more like 2/3 forward and 1/3 midfield.

I like his growth as a player this year too. You can tell he's fitter than ever and is able to break away from congestion with pace. Need more goals out of him, but I think he's definitely on the right path.

Papley isn't playing 100% midfield time though, he said so in an interview last week. The last three week it's seemed like he's been more like 2/3 forward and 1/3 midfield.

I like his growth as a player this year too. You can tell he's fitter than ever and is able to break away from congestion with pace. Need more goals out of him, but I think he's definitely on the right path.

I am not sure the stats back that up as he has something like 4 goals in 5 games or some number like that. I don't think he is spending much time forward.

Im expecting alot of improvement next year.. heeney,mills, jones (if hes still here) , hewett and papley will all be hovering around the 100 game mark. Florent,haywood, and aliir not too far off.

Point being, the bulk of our "next generation"players will be entering their prime and past the "apprenticeship" stage of their careers

I am not sure the stats back that up as he has something like 4 goals in 5 games or some number like that. I don't think he is spending much time forward.

I've seen him in the middle far less and forward more, despite the low goal tallies. He had been taking quite a number of centre bounces in the first few weeks, if someone has those stats for the last few weeks I'd be interested in seeing those as an indication.

Someone gets it!

So the stats say he’s spending less time forward because he’s kicked minimal goals...hmmm, so Reid and Ronke have spent the majority of their time toward. What are their numbers again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back