Autopsy Round 5 2019 Swans Vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

would love to see the pre and post melbourne media called for hardwicks sacking stats.

we can't see that re: horse because sydney media don't care enough to write an article about how maybe, just maybe, its his coaching.
Media don’t have huge expectations for the Swans. Some saw them as a bottom 4 team. Very few had us making the 8.

would love to see the pre and post melbourne media called for hardwicks sacking stats.

we can't see that re: horse because sydney media don't care enough to write an article about how maybe, just maybe, its his coaching.

Don't take my post as anything but a deliberate piss take. I'm just trying to pass the time instead of going home to my wife who supports Richmond.

1555769600076.png

Looking at this side for next week outs: Ronke, Reid, Jack, Hewett. Ins Cameron, Ling, Stoddard, Rose.

Sinclair to FF, Cameron to Ruck. Rose told you have 5 games as a mid to impress or you are cut. Ling, Thurlow and Stoddard playing wing/half back rotation, Mills as a mid. Heney as a mid. Parker and JPK mid and fwd rotations.

That's all i've got, our team is an absolute mess.

What has become a trend, as I see it, is for head coaches to hire and subsequently rely more on their experienced assistant coaches to handle greater responsibilities. Richmond surged on the back of Caracella and Leppitsch coming in and Hardwick delegating responsibility. Ditto Collingwood last year with Sanderson, Longmuir, Hocking, and Harvey, St Kilda this year even. They hired Brendon Lade and Brett Ratten over the off-season and are thriving with Richardson now.

i wonder if there's something in this for Longmire and the rest of the coaching staff to take heed of.

Very good point, think timing of when to do that also plays a part.

Haha, I decided to have a day of not drinking today. Not sure if its the heat but can get into a routine and affect mood etc. Probably picked the wrong day after watching that performance tonight!!!
I've been 116 days without a drink and I've come close to drinking JD when we play but I'm glad I don't at the end of the day.
(I don't or never had any issues with alcohol) just doing it for something different

Haha, I decided to have a day of not drinking today. Not sure if its the heat but can get into a routine and affect mood etc. Probably picked the wrong day after watching that performance tonight!!!
I’ve hardly had any myself but a big day tomorrow (which is actually today) will even things up. Long season but a season we invariably had to have. It works for WCE!

I've been 116 days without a drink and I've come close to drinking JD when we play but I'm glad I don't at the end of the day.
(I don't or never had any issues with alcohol) just doing it for something different
Congratulations Troy, sometimes I wish I had that dedication and willpower (I don’t). You should be commended for your commitment, now if you could pass that onto a few ghous@nd supporters...that’d be great!

Forgot to mention, Rampe hd the best game by a Swans player since Ronke kicked that massive bag of goals in my opinion. Having to mark and dominate both Dusty and Lynch with consistent delivery coming into them was remarkable.
His best game by a country mile and his spoil on the overrated soft campaigner Lynch in the pocket was pure textbook class!

It all went wrong in the first two minutes. The players were instructed to go corridor this game, that was clear enough. Lloyd turning over the very first kick in from that Richmond behind into a Richmond player literally killed his entire confidence the rest of the game to hit a winning kick.

Too often is AFL all about momentum and confidence, and that does not help an already losing team, especially when they were instructed to move corridor and actually need good delivery.

When Naismith was the primary ruck back in 2016/17, his biggest criticism was that he could only tap but not mark around the ground and so people preferred Sinclair overall. Fast forward to 2018/2019 and Sinclair can't take a mark nor get a tap to advantage.

I honestly don't think the team is in that bad of shape. I think a lot of our problems will be solved when Naismith gets back. But if this continues even with a much better ruck, hit the panic button

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all went wrong in the first two minutes. The players were instructed to go corridor this game, that was clear enough. Lloyd turning over the very first kick in from that Richmond behind into a Richmond player literally killed his entire confidence the rest of the game to hit a winning kick.

Too often is AFL all about momentum and confidence, and that does not help an already losing team, especially when they were instructed to move corridor and actually need good delivery.

When Naismith was the primary ruck back in 2016/17, his biggest criticism was that he could only tap but not mark around the ground and so people preferred Sinclair overall. Fast forward to 2018/2019 and Sinclair can't take a mark nor get a tap to advantage.

I honestly don't think the team is in that bad of shape. I think a lot of our problems will be solved when Naismith gets back. But if this continues even with a much better ruck, hit the panic button

Gonna be too late by the time we get Smith, Naismith and Menzel into the team freeing up others to take different roles. They will take a while to hit any form anyway.

I actually think we play pretty well tonight. Richmond were on fire early. Pressure was exceptional.

We have a few down. Reid, Mills, Hewett not playing well. Clarke and Thurlow were better but not better enough. But at least they played like they were in our side.

I think if it was the Grand Final next week, I’d drop Ronke and leave Papley Forward.

But you have to have perspective. Richmond were excellent tonight and we were better than we have been all year. Just not as good as Richmond.
Put the pipe down, we were shyte and Richmond were just ok.

Its going to be a painful year. I've seen some great analysis from Arwib on Reddit (I'll let him share his username if he wants) about the changing game style* and the shortfalls last year in terms of trying to force unsuited players into a grinding style, as well as what's happening this year.

*The game style and approach is quite obviously changing and if you can't acknowledge this after five weeks of corridor heavy, quick play on football then you should probably pack it in.

Heeney has stepped up this year but im starting to get the impression hes jumped on his own hype train. Trying to do too much every time he gets the ball. Obviously still young and good to see the confidence but needs to learn when to fake and when to use first option.

Good to see bud back in goal kicking form

Rowbottom was quite good. Solid debut.

Not that angry because i was expecting a defeat

Just as I predicted, Lynch did SFA yet we never really troubled Richmond. It’s going to take some getting used to to the fact that we may be a bottom four side. Taking that into account, tonight wasn’t really a bad loss. But Horse is at the helm of a bottom four team that shouldn’t be a bottom four team. That cannot be stressed enough when those inevitable Horse-defenders come out.

I get it, we’re a very young team and tonight in many cases our inexperience cost us. But we don’t seem like an enthusiastic, lively young team. We seem like a run-down, old bunch of has-beens, despite fielding a bunch of blokes aged 24 and under. That is just so deflating to see, and it’s a huge indictment on our coaching staff that they can’t even inject a sense of hope into our rebuild.

A lot of our players are straight up liabilities. Reid has no business being on our list. Jack, Buddy and Parker need to go to the NEAFL. Goodes did it and I’m sorry but Goodes > all of them.

Feel for Florent and Jones who consistently tried to get things going for a team that’s inherently stuck in defensive mode. They must be our midfield priorities from now on, no longer Kennedy and Parker.
Dawson finally stamped himself on a game, albeit a match where he was up against it the whole time.
Rowbottom a class act. Did a lot of things right and if he were in a better team, he’d have had a bloody good debut.

Did I mention... get Sam Reid off our list ASAP!!!

Jack is done. You assume a conversation was had? You can guarantee ROK was training and playing to play AFL but he didn’t know the inevitable. He was a shattered man.

I don't want to make more of this than it is but do you assume it wasn’t? Do you really think ROK just read on the team list that he wasn’t in the ones and at no stage was told we think it'll be very hard for you to come back in ??

Maybe it’s true.

I know jacks done. We all know it. No footballer acknowledges it but Jack's output is way down on his heyday and I’d be telling him it’s over.

In actual fact I think - probably starting with goodes but maybe bolton as well that we've had these guys on the list for a year too many too often. Grundy and Smith should have been gone at the end of last year. I don't know whose fault that is - who actually tells goodes that his time is over ? - but the list management of the club has not been great since probably 2013 when we lost mattner.

I love how full * the board goes after a loss.
As someone posted above. Lloyd's kick to advantage, of Richmond was a absolute kick In the guts.
Richmond has a game style that just punishes teams that retreat with low confidence.
That's the swans issue. Not coaching. Confidence

My views on the game...

Interestingly and for once, I kind of feel the age report on the game represents my views.

Some comments in general

we are trying to change the game plan and we aren't quite good enough to play the game plan. The Horse haters have constantly gone he has no plan B and we'd be much happier if we just took the game on. Personally I doubt that actually. I think for most of you it is the results that are mattering and this side is not delivering.

We are trying to change personnel - which is why so many journalists had us as a 10-14 side this season and why no-one really is criticising horse that much - adelaide and melbourne were supposed to challenge for the flag. no one expected us to.

We've got a lot of inexperienced kids in key spots and we are painfully slow. We tried a lot of different things last night. Allir in the ruck. We tried three talls in the forward line. We tried all small bar Buddy. We had Jack coming out of the goal square (which again said to me that he shouldn't be playing). We shifted reid and dawson and mccartin back. Plan A was to attack through the corridor and Lloyd gave the ball to rioli 30 metres out in the corridor. That happened time and time again

Even when cunningham or lloyd or mills didn't kick it onto the chest of an opponent 40 metres out we have problems with the corridor. Firstly we are really really slow and that coupled with too many midfielders who simply want to hit beautiful lace out passes (we will come to the reason for this in a second) or they don't release it. But there are not many of those kicks in this team. So they are holding onto the ball for too long. And they are too slow to hold onto it for that long. So getting run down from behind is happening to all of them and then we start a chain of panic handballs where not a single one is a handball freeing someone up effectively but they are making us worse off too often.

Why don't they release it ? Well my son put it best. He simply said "We've got no forwards who can mark and when the ball hits the ground in our forward fifty its out straight away and when it hits the ground in their's it can be there for another 2-3 minutes."

Our forward line and general approach is totally dysfunctional. This is definitely match committee and horse and personnel and drafting. Firstly the smalls - Heeney and Parker fly for everything. Neither are fast enough to stop a houli or the range of fast defenders in this league.. They can't stop the ball exiting and the only way they can is if they mark it. Ronke is a trier. But his skills are atrocious. Papley wants to take the ball with him every time so he never applies tackles but runs through the contest trying to knock the ball forwards to kick a goal. Jack like papley wants to take the ball going forward and really doesn't have the ability to tackle much. Our inability to put any sort of pressure on to stop the ball coming out of defence is staggering.

This is compounded by our talls. Franklin needs the ball on the lead. The 2-3 occasions where the ball was kicked to him leading into space we got goals from. The rest of the time kicking the ball to him one on one in the air is absolutely unbelievably stupid. And we've been doing this for years. He's not wayne carey for christ sake - its not his strength stop frigging doing it. In 2014 commentators would simply say over and over again its amazing that franklin has improved his overhead marking - because he's always been bloody terrible at it.

Now a good team with a rioli or a breust or a puopolo knows he's not going to make the bloody thing so they set up for that likelihood. We set up like he's wayne carey and we try to play miles from him and seem somewhat surprised that he didn't mark it when we've bombed it onto his head. And then when he gives away a free or the ball exits quickly we have run so belatedly forwards that we can't stop the ball coming out.

Reid and Mccartin and Sinclair. Not one of these is really capable of taking a consistent contested mark. So we just seem to need to kick the ball to a chest and the tall forwards just run around unable to contribute on the scoreboard or in the air or on the ground. This might be structural

Midfield. My god we are so slow. Watching Parker and Kennedy and Henney and Hewitt etc. We were built for a contested footy not for a speed game. And the game has become more and more about speed. But its also their speed of thinking - too many are trying to do perfect things - baulk a player and deliver to the forward. There is not enough just give it the first time

And our speed players - firstly they aren't that fast and secondly they aren't that good. Cunningham, is in the latter category florent in the former. And its not that

The defence last night was fine apart from their inability to defend when the idiots up the field just gave the ball away in the middle of the corridor. Rampe was best on ground in my view. He beat every single player in one on one contests. Thurlow and Clarke were OK, Allir fine, Dawson fine.

In the end we are struggling. The question is whether we can see where we are going. I'm not really sure I know where that is currently. This is really the Horse thing but it is also the list management. And I'm not confident about either at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back