Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Powel Pepper is a ripper. He's got Dangerfield like explosiveness and hardness for the contest and doesn't mind butchering a ball :$
Seriously though, he's had a few opportunities to kick multiple goals in a few games now and could of easily snagged a few 3-voters if he'd kicked a bit straighter.
Gun.

Well don't some of us have eggs on our faces?

Happy to admit I was wrong.

Only caught some of quarter 2 and quarter 3 at the pub. I look forward to sitting down and admiring what the hell just happened.

Now let's see how we go as "the hunted"

Why mate? They needed a kick up the bum. From the coaches box to the 22nd player selected. The past two weeks was unacceptable, the past four years have too. Now to carry this attitude and confidence and execution into the next few weeks to set up the season. The boys can produce this performance albeit Ken's comments from last week.

Geez someone pissed in your cereal. 2 Games ago, you guys were saying Sam Gray should never play AFL again. 1 game ago you guys were saying sack both captains. Same guys wanting Doogs sacked. I am sure it was the same people saying Boak and Rockliff were cooked last year. Same people saying Ebert is a terrible forward, yet he is leading the goal kicking. Marshall bringing the ball to ground didn't win us the clearances, contested possessions, tackles, inside 50s. Half the team playing much better than last week did.

“I’m sure it was the same guys.....”

No it wasn’t. A variety of gripes have been aired on this forum by different people at different times. Don’t go throwing a blanket over everyone as having a foot in every camp. It’s just not true.

I never wanted Boak or Rockliff dropped or pensioned off.

Personally, I wanted Sam Gray dropped and didn’t like Howard as a defender. Tonight Gray had an exceptional game playing higher up the ground. Well done to him. And Howard probably had a career best game. Well done to him too.

See, this is a forum about football. People are going to come here and say stuff you might disagree with. Game day threads are even more full on during a bad loss because people say things in the heat of the moment that maybe they wouldn’t when they’ve simmered down. If people have a problem with that then maybe this sort of forum isn’t for them. But don’t come here all wise after the event, having contributed nothing to the discussion, and rub s**t in people’s faces (that isn’t directed at you).

Oh, and people vocally call for change and voice their opinions loudly because they love their club and are emotionally invested in it. To tell them to go “burn their memberships” because we had a good win is about the most ridiculous thing you can say on here. But given the sickening aloofness of the person who said it it’s hardly a surprise.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD, NOW?!

You do not like him. So you say.
Try him! Try him! And you may.
Try him and you may, I say.

I am Sam. I am Sam. Sam-I-Am.

That Sam-I-Am! That Sam-I-Am! I do not like that Sam-I-Am!

Do you like Gray Robbie and Sam?

I do not like that Sam-I-Am.
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam.

Would you like them here or there?

I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam.

Would you play him while sane?
Would you play him in Brisbane?
Would you? Could you? For a tall?
Play him! Play him! It is football!

I would not, could not, for a tall.

You may like him. It will be fine.
You may like him in the forward line!

I would not, could not in the forward line.
Not for a tall! It shivers my spine.
I will not play him while sane.
I do not like him in Brisbane.
I do not like him here or there.
I do not like him anywhere!
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam!

You do not like him. So you say.
Try him! Try him! And you may.
Try him and you may, I say.

Sam! If you let me be,
I will try him. You will see.
Say! I like Gray Robbie AND Sam!
I do! I like that Sam-I-Am!

He is so good, so good, you see!
So I will play him for a tall.
And I will let him play football.
And I will let him play the sport.
And I will play him in for Port.
And I will play him while sane.
And I will play him in Brisbane.
And I will play him here and there.
Say! I will play him anywhere!
I do so like Gray Robbie and Sam!
Thank you! Thank you, Sam-I-Am.

----

Go get them, Sam!

Jonas in post match interview mentioned we deliberately lowered the eyes and sought to prevent the intercept marks going inside 50. That mixed with immense midfield pressure and a forward structure with some height won us the game.
That was the most obvious change to me. I don't recall a single wc defensive intercept mark in the first half. Amazing, I thought Hurn & McGovern would have a field day.
Love Marshall too, I don't recall us ever having a better chf prospect since tredders, he has the same shoulders too. He is special & will tear a game apart soon, structurally so important and he forces good defenders into panic mistakes & he is starting to draw the frees he deserves.
More even team performance too, coaches did well too.
People tend to overreact to losses & wins but this was a good win. Should have won by more though

I swear to god Hinkley if you ever drop this guy again

We will riot

View attachment 658176

If tonight didn’t show the value of a minimum of two tall forwards as a force multiplier, then I’ll be a Damien Monkhorst’s father’s brother.

Cripes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got soaked and froze my ass off but all worth it for the win.

We killed them around the ball. Absolutely murdered them. I think there's a certain challenge as reigning premier where the other team can just want it that slight much more than you when the going gets tough. Tonight was a good example. We took it up to them with huge pressure and hunt around the ball and on a cold, wet night, they just wilted once we got a few goals in front. Our three bulls - Wines, Rockliff, SPP - just controlled the contest from start to finish.

Our backs were tremendous. Dougal, TJ, Clurey, Houston, DBJ. All great. Dougal repaid the faith big time and DBJ had his best game for the year too.

Marshall was so important to us. Sam Gray played a role. Robbie well held by Sheppard as usual.

Fun fact - 8 of the last 9 fixtures between these 2 teams have been won by the away team. The home team has only won once since early 2013 (WCE last year).

Strange game. We weren't that great but the Eagles were woeful so I'll take it. Possibly a gift from the footy gods to make up for the last 2 weeks.
Great to break what was becoming a hoodoo i.e. the Eagles in general and in Perth in particular. Also to have a clear win over them, not some 'scrape over the line' job.
3.5 in the 1st quarter had me worried. You don't get too many dominant quarters like that. Doesn't look so bad now but had the Eagles switched on it could have cost us the game. I mean most of those 5 behinds and the 17 we scored overall were gettable, I don't think there were too many knocked through etc.

Can't be mad at that. Excellent around the ground.
Not too bigger scalp right now other than maybe Geelong in Geelong.

However, **** me...we have an aversion to kicking 100 points.
We really need to do something about our kicking for goal. It will (and has) cost us games.
Just shut up and enjoy.....
for now

... Marshall was so important to us. Sam Gray played a role ...
You've clearly mixed up your players.
Sammy G had 26 disposals, 5 tackles, and 8 marks. He was one of our hard men albeit his small size limits him.
Marshall did sweet FA, although he did put some effort in unlike rounds 1 and 2. One tackle, 3 marks and I doubt any of them were contested because he lost every marking contest I remember.

In 39 years barracking for this club, I've never seen a more perplexing team...

One would need to go back all the way to 2017 for a team like that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back