Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to school with her. Genuinely the most f**king irritating human being I have ever met.

I genuinely feel really sorry for you.

The thing is about that game is we really should have clobbered them and I mean clobber them.

30 scoring shits to 13.
71 i50s to 38.

The scoreboard only says it's 42 point margin and really it could have been anything.

All of that is a bizzare thing to write after we just rolled the reigning premier on there on home deck haha.

Yes. I think it's a game reminiscent of our 2014 season. We're ok if we bring the energy to attack the ball, defend closely, spread quickly, etc ... the whole of our game improves greatly but perhaps it camouflages that our skill execution improves marginally in comparison. As great and relieving the win was we could've won by much more.

Funnily, West Coast still got a goal after the siren last night.

From memory overall our scoring fades away late in most games. Melbourne, Brisbane, Richmond, WC, and I can't remember the Carlton match. From memory it often isn't us that finishes a game or quarter with the last score. Last year was similar. We concede junk time goals. It's another behaviour we have to change.

Congratulations on the terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces. Given I predominantly provide stats from FTA games into Melbourne and Port isn't on FTA as much anymore, I'll try to supplement those stats with some Foxtel games (but the turnaround will usually be more mid-week).

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

Wines 23
Drew 19 (13w, 6i)
Duursma 18 wing
Boak 15 (3w)
Rockliff 14
Westhoff 12 wing
SPP 8
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
R.Gray 3
S.Gray 3
Butters 1 wing

Rucks:

Lycett 16
Ryder 8

1st Half - 13

Wines 12
Drew 11 (7w, 4i)
Duursma 9 wing
Rockliff 9
Westhoff 9 wing
Boak 6
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
SPP 3
R.Gray 2

Lycett 9
Ryder 4

2nd Half - 11

Wines 11
Duursma 9 wing
Boak 9 (3w)
Drew 8 (6w, 2i)
Rockliff 5
SPP 5
Westhoff 3 wing
S.Gray 3
R.Gray 1
Butters 1 wing

Lycett 7
Ryder 4

Notes:
- First (analysed game) since the 2017 Elimination Final where SPP has played a full game, but hasn't finished in your top 6 mids. He also wasn't utilised at all in the last.

That was an incredible game! I came in expecting us to lose but from the first bounce the team was playing electric. Defensively I loved the tackling and the pressure that was applied. Offensively our midfield was dominant and the run and gun styled worked well as we actually had some tall targets to kick to and completely negated the intercept marks. The first half was terrific. We were dominant in the 2nd half as well but unfortunately got outscored, particularly in the 4th quarter.

What we need to see now is consistency. That game set the platform of how we need to play every single game. It's unfathomable how a professional team can go from losing to Richmond's VFL side at home to dominating the reigning premiers away. Record with Marshall 3-0. Record without Marshall 0-2. I'm harsh on Sam Gray but he was one of our best on Friday night.

On that form we should be beating the Kangaroos by 50+ points on Friday. Keep up the great work and intensity!!!

That was an incredible game! I came in expecting us to lose but from the first bounce the team was playing electric. Defensively I loved the tackling and the pressure that was applied. Offensively our midfield was dominant and the run and gun styled worked well as we actually had some tall targets to kick to and completely negated the intercept marks. The first half was terrific. We were dominant in the 2nd half as well but unfortunately got outscored, particularly in the 4th quarter.

What we need to see now is consistency. That game set the platform of how we need to play every single game. It's unfathomable how a professional team can go from losing to Richmond's VFL side at home to dominating the reigning premiers away. Record with Marshall 3-0. Record without Marshall 0-2. I'm harsh on Sam Gray but he was one of our best on Friday night.

On that form we should be beating the Kangaroos by 50+ points on Friday. Keep up the great work and intensity!!!
We are yet to show up against an
side that brings the pressure.

Norths pressure was appalling this week.

If they come out the same we will pump them.

If they respond to the undoubted bake they get and bring the pressure we will have a chance to actually respond ourselves and show we can handle the pressure.

If we can this year could be a good ride.

If not we are headed for another middle of the road finish.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Congratulations on the terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces. Given I predominantly provide stats from FTA games into Melbourne and Port isn't on FTA as much anymore, I'll try to supplement those stats with some Foxtel games (but the turnaround will usually be more mid-week).

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

Wines 23
Drew 19 (13w, 6i)
Duursma 18 wing
Boak 15 (3w)
Rockliff 14
Westhoff 12 wing
SPP 8
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
R.Gray 3
S.Gray 3
Butters 1 wing

Rucks:

Lycett 16
Ryder 8

1st Half - 13

Wines 12
Drew 11 (7w, 4i)
Duursma 9 wing
Rockliff 9
Westhoff 9 wing
Boak 6
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
SPP 3
R.Gray 2

Lycett 9
Ryder 4

2nd Half - 11

Wines 11
Duursma 9 wing
Boak 9 (3w)
Drew 8 (6w, 2i)
Rockliff 5
SPP 5
Westhoff 3 wing
S.Gray 3
R.Gray 1
Butters 1 wing

Lycett 7
Ryder 4

Notes:
- First (analysed game) since the 2017 Elimination Final where SPP has played a full game, but hasn't finished in your top 6 mids. He also wasn't utilised at all in the last.
Very telling that Robbie was barely sighted in the centre square. He is definitely playing through some sort of injury...

I really think we should just be resting him if he needs it, yeah he is still contributing and always remains a threat to tear the game open but Robbie the midfielder could be crucial later in the year.

Hopefully he gets better over the season, but so many times we’ve seen players struggle all year.

SPP ... I hated the 'Bash Brother' article on our Website days after we drafted him.

I thought SPP started his career well by simply playing the ball and influencing early games positively. Slowly he resorted to playing the man too much and his skills and influence declined. I worried that another season of being a bash brother could shape his career for the worse.

I was pleased to hear that we made a midfield coaching change and hoped it would be a good influence on Pepper. I think it's making him better.

I'm seeing a hard player playing the ball and trying to be efficient with his ball use, and I like it. Keep it up Pepper.

Like I heard Fiacchi say a few weeks ago at the club when describing the 'Port Adelaide way'. He was saying that "when people talk about the Port Adelaide way they think it's being hard and tough. Yes we were hard and tough but we also had skills".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%. When we got him I said he wouldn't be a star himself but he'd help make our other mids look like stars. It's taken a year but we've reached that point now. And his heir apparent Willem Drew is starting to get in there and do the same thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if Drew got 20 disposals with an 80% efficiency.

Yep, 20 disposals and 75% disposal efficiency.

Last edited:
Just a twitter troll. 100x worse than any Crow troll on here.

When I cancelled my Twitter account just over a year ago, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I'm surprised that SPP only started in the centre 8 times. I reckon he influenced the centre clearance on all 8 occasions.

As far as his skills go, I'm not too concerned. He plays like Dangerfield, who also doesn't kick that well but is a star. The keys for SPP are 1) not getting caught holding it and 2) having a good structure ahead of the ball so that his long kicks can be taken advantage of rather than easily intercepted.

I'm surprised that SPP only started in the centre 8 times. I reckon he influenced the centre clearance on all 8 occasions.

As far as his skills go, I'm not too concerned. He plays like Dangerfield, who also doesn't kick that well but is a star. The keys for SPP are 1) not getting caught holding it and 2) having a good structure ahead of the ball so that his long kicks can be taken advantage of rather than easily intercepted.

He’s an interesting cross between Martin and Dangerfield. The thing is that when he plays well, he emulates the best qualities of both players, bursts through packs, physical and tough to tackle with the ability to produce long clearances when under pressure. but when he’s poor he emulates their negative traits, plays to the man, gets aggro at the wrong time and starts trying to force play too much. He doesn’t seem to have a middle ground yet, but he’ll get there, and when he does he’ll be a star.

I really don't see why people get frustrated with Rockliffs' 'high numbers, no damage, get 1000 metres gained farken!' stats.
The ability to extract and get out a handball or find a short kick in congestion to control possession is an amazing ability to have.
We have more than enough boys who can crash, smash and chaos ball it forward. Some finesse and control is welcomed.

Well now that I've (mainly) sobered up, and had a chance to watch a replay instead of relying on my haze of a memory, what an insane game that was. I thought our kids were dropping off after last week but holy s**t they were good on Friday. I think it was after Rozee's goal I started crying.

Watching the replay. One thing Ive noticed.
Marshall gets an early free against Schofield and has to go 10 metres to get the ball and jog back before starting his shot on goal. Fwds should be coached to go to the top of their run up straight away and recover to have a better chance at making the shot. Someone else can get the ball for them.

I really don't see why people get frustrated with Rockliffs' 'high numbers, no damage, get 1000 metres gained farken!' stats.
The ability to extract and get out a handball or find a short kick in congestion to control possession is an amazing ability to have.
We have more than enough boys who can crash, smash and chaos ball it forward. Some finesse and control is welcomed.

If Rockliff wins a contested ball and gets a handball out to SPP or Boak or whoever who then launches it into the forward line, Rocky himself only gets credit for 1 or 2 metres gained but the team has gained 50 metres because of his work. Stats aren't everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back