Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Well now that I've (mainly) sobered up, and had a chance to watch a replay instead of relying on my haze of a memory, what an insane game that was. I thought our kids were dropping off after last week but holy s**t they were good on Friday. I think it was after Rozee's goal I started crying.
I was watching the ball on my phone with it cutting in and out constantly so missed that goal!

The last quarter was absolutely blissful though.

If Rockliff wins a contested ball and gets a handball out to SPP or Boak or whoever who then launches it into the forward line, Rocky himself only gets credit for 1 or 2 metres gained but the team has gained 50 metres because of his work. Stats aren't everything.
His short kicks are so freaking useful. He will transform a contested possession at stoppage into an uncontested mark like clockwork and it’s wonderful.

When I cancelled my Twitter account just over a year ago, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Ditto. Same with Instagram. Still have an account (it's linked to my work) but deleted the app off my phone.

I really don't see why people get frustrated with Rockliffs' 'high numbers, no damage, get 1000 metres gained farken!' stats.
The ability to extract and get out a handball or find a short kick in congestion to control possession is an amazing ability to have.
We have more than enough boys who can crash, smash and chaos ball it forward. Some finesse and control is welcomed.
Because for a couple of weeks he got a lot of the ball but really had shockers.. He slowed us up and constantly put others under pressure when he should have looked up field, had clear possession only to look sideways all the time.
He was told by the coaches.. No doubt about it. He was 100% better v west coast. Played a much more positive attacking game and was by far his best game for us.
Not necessarily about metres gained, it's about impact on the game.

I'm surprised that SPP only started in the centre 8 times. I reckon he influenced the centre clearance on all 8 occasions.

As far as his skills go, I'm not too concerned. He plays like Dangerfield, who also doesn't kick that well but is a star. The keys for SPP are 1) not getting caught holding it and 2) having a good structure ahead of the ball so that his long kicks can be taken advantage of rather than easily intercepted.

I know if I was a centre square midfielder I'd certainly prefer to have him in my eyeline stationary at the bounce rather than building up a head of steam like a train from god knows where on the wing/flanks!

I agree to an extent, his disposal won't ever be perfect and that can be worked around given the momentum he can generate. However still feel he has some way to go to even match Dangerfield in terms of skill level. He's got the capability for sure, but not the consistency of executing it.

He’s an interesting cross between Martin and Dangerfield. The thing is that when he plays well, he emulates the best qualities of both players, bursts through packs, physical and tough to tackle with the ability to produce long clearances when under pressure. but when he’s poor he emulates their negative traits, plays to the man, gets aggro at the wrong time and starts trying to force play too much. He doesn’t seem to have a middle ground yet, but he’ll get there, and when he does he’ll be a star.
Like to see him continue in the same way in that his appears to be running with speed getting to contests breaking clear and kicking with purpose....prefer this from SPP compared to 'don't argue approach' when he gats caught holding the ball and is not particularly team orientated...just an observation

Was at the game - had a feeling we would do well watching the boys warming up.

There was quite a few ball handling skills done out on the ground just before the bounce - players looked focused and ready to go. Duursma spent a bit of time sprinting in from the wing and bombing long from just outside 50. When he scored his second goal, that was exactly what he had been practicing before the game.

Of all the players warming up, Westhoff and Gray seemed a bit "too relaxed" , but the remainder looked extremely focussed. Noticed the defensive group in particular were switched on.

The Eagles must have done all their warm up indoors, as they were barely out there before the game. We got there an hour early, so they may have warmed up outside earlier.

Was ecstatic wit that win - first win for us at Optus Stadium!

Was at the game - had a feeling we would do well watching the boys warming up.

There was quite a few ball handling skills done out on the ground just before the bounce - players looked focused and ready to go. Duursma spent a bit of time sprinting in from the wing and bombing long from just outside 50. When he scored his second goal, that was exactly what he had been practicing before the game.

Of all the players warming up, Westhoff and Gray seemed a bit "too relaxed" , but the remainder looked extremely focussed. Noticed the defensive group in particular were switched on.

The Eagles must have done all their warm up indoors, as they were barely out there before the game. We got there an hour early, so they may have warmed up outside earlier.

Was ecstatic wit that win - first win for us at Optus Stadium!

Interesting you say that, they e probably been down the last 3-4 weeks of our influential players.

I wonder if they are injured, tired Etc

Congratulations on the terrific win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces. Given I predominantly provide stats from FTA games into Melbourne and Port isn't on FTA as much anymore, I'll try to supplement those stats with some Foxtel games (but the turnaround will usually be more mid-week).

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

Wines 23
Drew 19 (13w, 6i)
Duursma 18 wing
Boak 15 (3w)
Rockliff 14
Westhoff 12 wing
SPP 8
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
R.Gray 3
S.Gray 3
Butters 1 wing

Rucks:

Lycett 16
Ryder 8

1st Half - 13

Wines 12
Drew 11 (7w, 4i)
Duursma 9 wing
Rockliff 9
Westhoff 9 wing
Boak 6
Rozee 4 (3i, 1w)
SPP 3
R.Gray 2

Lycett 9
Ryder 4

2nd Half - 11

Wines 11
Duursma 9 wing
Boak 9 (3w)
Drew 8 (6w, 2i)
Rockliff 5
SPP 5
Westhoff 3 wing
S.Gray 3
R.Gray 1
Butters 1 wing

Lycett 7
Ryder 4

Notes:
- First (analysed game) since the 2017 Elimination Final where SPP has played a full game, but hasn't finished in your top 6 mids. He also wasn't utilised at all in the last.

I think his SPP play time was about 70% , someone will have real figure . Was injured last 1/4.

What do you mean by "full game " what =

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm re-watching the game at the moment. Dwayne keeps banging on about a West Coast momentum shift in the third quarter. lol the margin never got closer than 43 points and West Coast never kicked more than 2 consecutive goals, and that only happened once.

Yes but what you're missing is that any one of those goals COULD'VE BEEN THE FIRESTARTER.

Never in doubt. If only I put some cash on it...
3f4d9e7bd56f7989e3db6a9f19e142ac.jpg

Ballarat :think:

West Coast fans wildly giving SPP the Bronx cheer for missing a set shot with 13.00 left in the game and Port up by 52 points. Sandgropers, oh dear.

I wonder if Daniel Venables was one of the flogs giving SPP a Bronx cheer while he sat up in the stands because he's a spud who can't make their side.

I'm surprised that SPP only started in the centre 8 times. I reckon he influenced the centre clearance on all 8 occasions.

As far as his skills go, I'm not too concerned. He plays like Dangerfield, who also doesn't kick that well but is a star. The keys for SPP are 1) not getting caught holding it and 2) having a good structure ahead of the ball so that his long kicks can be taken advantage of rather than easily intercepted.
This season he has been kicking shorter or pulling his kicks late with noticable frequency. Definitely a coaching directive from off-season which is great.

Rockliff is the biggest unsung hero in our team this year. Just constantly wins 50/50 balls and dishes out a quick handball or dinky short pass to set a teammate clear. At least some of the improved form of Boak, SPP, etc, can be put down to Rocky returning to form and fitness.
Also Drew's fantastic defensive midfield work has made a big difference. His blocks, body-work and desperation to smother and pressure have been huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back