Review Round 5, 2019 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for the Weagles board to start a Potato Gems that Tear Us Apart thread.
At least we used the potato gem correctly by putting it in the deep fryer instead of the proverbial washing machine.

1) I would love to know who was the architect of this plan!
2) If it was Hinkley, then wow, kudos to him, and he would have redeemed himself a bit.
3) But good chance it came from Schofield, Montgomery, or even Bassett. Possibly input from Lycett, with insider knowledge of any weaknesses they had or feared.
1) Yes, so would I.
2) If Hinkley, he would have used it before, unless it just occurred to him (?). Kudos either way. He must have had a say in it.
3) My guess is Lycett who might've identified the potential weakness even before he joined your blokes.
Any team with a tall backline will be susceptible from now on.
The other KPIs that Janus mentioned are crucial too. Win those and most teams will win the game, but that chaos ball odd-delivery was something I'd never seen so blatantly- and well-done :thumbsu:.

This is spot-on, very good point:
it did call for the entire squad to buy into it, and to implement it it effectively
Different tactics were used to cope with wet/windy conditions, but it reminded me of our 2017 R7 vs NM in Tassie. They came out with a well-developed plan and stuck to it. We came out smug and complacent (often Crows' biggest weakness, hubris) and they absolutely belted us, 10 goals up at qu-time :eek:. They out-tackled us 90-50!!

Given our past results against WCE and the sameness of our losses, I highly doubt it was Hinkley.
He still has the final saying though. He had been convinced it would work, at least. A smaller, but not a small feat. You need to be smart enough to recognize a good idea and humble enough to buy into one that is not yours.

He still has the final saying though. He had been convinced it would work, at least. A smaller, but not a small feat. You need to be smart enough to recognize a good idea and humble enough to buy into one that is not yours.
Respectfully GP I disagree. Anyone smart enough would have recognised it a lot earlier. It has been said many times that he does not listen to his assistants and the way we continually lose the same way and make the same selection / structure blunders backs that up. I am of the belief that he has been 'told'.

Respectfully GP I disagree. Anyone smart enough would have recognised it a lot earlier. It has been said many times that he does not listen to his assistants and the way we continually lose the same way and make the same selection / structure blunders backs that up. I am of the belief that he has been 'told'.
By whom? There is no one over him...

I am not ignoring how dumb we have played before, I am just recognizing what we did well. Hinkley is our top football officer.

Last edited:
I'm re-watching the game at the moment. Dwayne keeps banging on about a West Coast momentum shift in the third quarter. lol the margin never got closer than 43 points and West Coast never kicked more than 2 consecutive goals, and that only happened once.
If u watch the afl.com highlights video you would have thought west coast kicked more goals then port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team performs badly ... "Hinkley cant coach .. Sack him now!"
Team performs well ... "That has [Insert assistant's name here] written all over it, sack Ken & make him coach now!"
Unpopular selection ... "Ken you stubborn moron! .. Sack him now!"
Popular team selection ... "Ken obviously has been 'told' .. How long before we can sack him?"

Poor Kenny!

begging-your-ex-gf.jpg

As our "Head of Football," he should be, right? But the more I think about it, the less I believe this to be actually true.

Chris Davies and Ken Hinkley share the same personal assistant. They are on equal footing, with Hinkley a little higher in the pecking order - Ken reports directly to Keith Thomas, not to Davies. Consider Hinkley to be the CEO of football and Davies to be the COO of football. Ken makes the football decisions, Davies goes about making sure those decisions are followed through.

If Ken is listening to his assistants, it's because his assistants actually have something worthwhile to listen to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back