Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win. Outside of the usual suspects I thought the following players showed alot

Thought Cam was excellent. Especially early on in the first quarter.

Berry jr also provided excellent pressure and showed alot of toe

Bailey was amazing just goes so hard and fast at the contest fearless

Umpiring was deplorable I thought I counted 5 50s that should have gone for us in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, along with a bunch of marks that weren't counting. Was really tough to watch. Is Fages allowed whinges like Clarko about umpiring?

I was super impressed with the Suns recruiting/trading recently, and from the little i've read they were happy with everyone they handed off. What is the deal on this trade really? Was it a part of a larger previous trade between us? I haven't noticed Lyons being too horrendous with his defensive running.. Its insane how good he is playing ..gee wiz

McCluggage is now on the same level as Neale and Zorko. Rayner shows terrific signs when playing in the midfield and I loved the consistent grunt and effort from Lyons, BerrySnr and Bailey. Huge credit to McStay for sticking his marks tonight as well.

Was great to be back at the Gabba for the first time this year and cheer the boys on. I love the footy and I love the Lions!

Last edited:
McCluggage is now on the same level as Neale and Zorko. Rayner shows terrific signs when playing in the midfield and I loved the consistent grunt and effort from Lyons, BerrySnr and Bailey. Huge credit to McStay for sticking his marks tonight as well.
Agree with all that and.....HELL YER! Rayner is going to be a beast in the midfield, even if his endurance doesn't improve to be a permanent type mid he will be a Lethal Weapon to throw in there for stints.

Still weird seeing Rocky on the other team. I know he had his faults but I would've loved to see him still be here to experience some success with us.

Great game. Hopefully can get some confidence into McStay and Hipwood to finish off their good work as it's one of our few weaknesses, but well done to the team for showing Port what we're capable of.

Good couple of weeks coming to find out what level we can sustain but gee we have some talent.

How good is it to have watched JBerry and Clug coming through to how they are starting to impose on games. Ditto watching Bailey and Starc develop. Hope they enjoy that

Lachie Neale inspiration...really lifted when needed.

Suitcase is First Class...those hands and vision

Lyons is arguably Lions best freebie ever...anyone who watched him at ADEL or GC could see he could get it.

I love the Berry Berry good brothers.

Forwards took some nice marks. Kicking for goal still an issue though.

Hope CEY gets back soon. Adds some hardness and size in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the coldest I've ever felt at the Gabba,

Sitting only 3 Rows back from the fence gives you a different perspective on the game but also subjects you to that icy wind that cuts right through you.....BRRRRRR!!!

About that different perspective, the seats were close to centre wing but it does make it difficult to work out what's happening if the play is in either pocket on the other side of the ground. Found myself taking a peek at the big screen more than once so I could see the play better.

No matter.....I was ever so grateful just to be at a game again in this bizarre,unpredictable season.

We were lucky Port's radar was off in the first quarter, although we missed one or two opportunities of our own. The second quarter was a thing of beauty. Total domination and fanatical attack on the ball and the man reaped very rich rewards. We made the much vaunted Port look like stunned mullets and I don't mean any disrespect to Port in saying that. We were on a different plane and I believe we would have made mincemeat of any opponent with form like that

We dominated most of the third too but unfortunately lost our way with our conversion, as seems to be our wont when we have an opponent down for the count.

I knew Port would run the game out strongly in the last quarter and credit to them for that. I thought we lost structure a little, partly due to Port's improved midfield pressure and ball movement and partly due to a bit of fatigue setting in . Despite our comfortable winning margin, I thought at all times it was a high energy,high intensity match, Being a rotation down for 3 and a half quarters was going to ultimately take a toll. I was really pleased how we dug in though in that last quarter and didn't give them any semblance of a sniff.

Lachie and Lyons really stepped up in the absence of CEY.

How the hell did we get Jarred Lyons for a 75 gram packet of stale crisps?

And as usual HA did a superb job, keeping Dixon quiet and clearly getting the better of him in the one on ones.

I had to give him a vote for keeping the Second Coming to bugger all output.

Great win for the club.

For the newcomers, I'm really annoyed CEY won't be able to continue to build on his form.
Ah Chee dipped again... unfortunate..It seems when he does screw up, it sometimes is a really noticeable and ugly mistake which magnifies it sadly
Birchall i'm not entirely sure, nothing bad really stood out and our defense worked well together so I guess he was a part of that. I do remember some quality body-work here and there.

the goal kicking... honestly the only bad ones that stick out is one for McStay and 2 for Hipwood.

And finally.. a standing ovation for the Big O going for a 50m set shot :D I was more annoyed at the commentators being correct in the result.

Still weird seeing Rocky on the other team. I know he had his faults but I would've loved to see him still be here to experience some success with us.
He's gone so far backwards since leaving. Used to consistently put in 35+ possession games with us. So far this year, 22 averaged. Tonight? 14 total disposals, 1 goal, 2 score involvements, 4 tackles, 2 clangers, 1 free against.

Meanwhile Neale 29 possessions, Lyons 27, J.Bez and McCluggage 19 each, Rayner 15...

He wouldn't get in our team now.

For the newcomers, I'm really annoyed CEY won't be able to continue to build on his form.
Ah Chee dipped again... unfortunate..It seems when he does screw up, it sometimes is a really noticeable and ugly mistake which magnifies it sadly
Birchall i'm not entirely sure, nothing bad really stood out and our defense worked well together so I guess he was a part of that. I do remember some quality body-work here and there.

the goal kicking... honestly the only bad ones that stick out is one for McStay and 2 for Hipwood.

And finally.. a standing ovation for the Big O going for a 50m set shot :D I was more annoyed at the commentators being correct in the result.

Agree on Ah Chee. ...seems to struggle when the pressure is on him and is given to skill errors at crucial times.

You have think that Answerth has to be a shot to take his place next week.

Agree on Ah Chee. ...seems to struggle when the pressure is on him and is given to skill errors at crucial times.

You have think that Answerth has to be a shot to take his place next week.

Witho would be ahead of Noah. Would like to see him get another crack especially if his defensive game has gone up a level.

Witho would be ahead of Noah. Would like to see him get another crack especially if his defensive game has gone up a level.

Not sure how Witho would be ahead of Answerth, or if anyone would be ahead of anyone else.

With no NEAFL or any meaningful second tier comp, it must be extremely difficult to assess "form" much less demonstrate it if you're out of the starting lineup

I really feel for the fringe players at all clubs.

Back