Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to take away from the win by pointing this out, but Port screwed themselves by playing a small backline compared to our talls. That allowed us to play the way we wanted in the front half during the second. Port addressed this in the third and fourth but it was too late to catch up.

I don’t think we will have a problem playing against the Giants, but Geelong may be tough for us as, from what I’ve seen from them, they are only getting better when compared to other teams right now.

Not trying to take away from the win by pointing this out, but Port screwed themselves by playing a small backline compared to our talls. That allowed us to play the way we wanted in the front half during the second. Port addressed this in the third and fourth but it was too late to catch up.

I don’t think we will have a problem playing against the Giants, but Geelong may be tough for us as, from what I’ve seen from them, they are only getting better when compared to other teams right now.
I think that is there backline. Not sure they have taller defenders.

Relax.

Geelong ended up coasting to a win over Gold Coast today but only after GC lost their best player early. Even so, GC gave plenty of cheek for three quarters.

The Cats generally got the benefit of some pretty dodgy umpiring, got two freebie goals from 50 metre penalties when the game was in the balance and had the benefit of playing on their home ground which has idiosyncrasies that they are adept at exploiting.

Playing them at a neutral venue like the SCG is a godsend for us.

If my understanding of ground dimensions is correct, the SCG is a lot wider but also a lot shorter than most other grounds, pretty much the polar opposite to GMHBA Stadium.

This upcoming match could well come down to which side adapts the best to the conditions.

At worst, I think we are a 50/50 chance of winning this

Witho would be ahead of Noah. Would like to see him get another crack especially if his defensive game has gone up a level.
I rate Answerth ahead of Witherden at actually defending, though Witherden has more rebound, at least when he's being sensible with his kicking.

If my understanding of ground dimensions is correct, the SCG is a lot wider but also a lot shorter than most other grounds, pretty much the polar opposite to GMHBA Stadium.

The SCG is pretty similar to the Gabba and both are pretty similar to the MCG, just a bit shorter.

Goomba Stadium is a bit longer but a lot narrower.

Overlaid on to the MCG (SCG is red, Gabba is maroon):

ZqfCU6j.png

And the same overlay for GHMBA (blue-grey):

WJ6y5bk.png

Images from , which has the rest of the grounds as well if you want to check it out.

All those nufs comparing us with Melbourne FC have fallen silent......Cornes now has us as number 1 seed after belting his beloved Powerless.
Looking forward to TBez playing a more skillful version of the MRobbo role for the next decade 🤤
Great points, these 2 posts got me :think: :oldman: so I started a thread, thanks L16 and DD.

How did Port address their small backline in the third and fourth?

Pretty pumped after that win, Ports form prior had been terrific.

The two most pleasing things for me was, being the closest game I’ve seen to a full team contributions, beside CEY obviously, I’d only have two players who would’nt have got a “pass” mark. The other was McStay game, great to see him put that performance together.

Individually, Harris’s game on the player of the century was outstanding. It’s a real compliment when the commentators start talking about needing your most important player to play a decoy role to drag him away from the contest.

Gardiner played a typically Gardiner game, Lester and Starc done a great job on Gray and Rozee, these are the two players and types that can get hold of us. Its great to have offensive threats like McKenzie and Bonner, but we really exploited them defensively, Rich on the other hand has found the balance required to play this role perfectly.

All our forwards looked dangerous tonight, Hipwood and McStay especially. Was great to see Charlie share the spotlight tonight. Linc and O we’re creating opportunities and headaches most of the night. Rayner strung together a great game, The player with ~3mins to go in the second, jumped and took the ball from the stoppage with Wines as his opponent, Shimmy Rocky and Wines and gets the clearance to Neale. Showing the exact reason why he was rated so highly, why he has a few credits in the bank.

Midfield was the usual suspects, was a little suprised at Lachie stats at the end of the match to be truthful. Berry Snr played well with the added responsibility when CEY went down.

Young Berry showed why the coaches have selected him this early, his attack on the ball/player is first class. Great to see him positioning himself front and square, to set the Bailey goal up.

Wouldn’t get a look in know imho.
Probs be Lyons pushing him out if he was still on our list. As Zhesty said he has his faults and limitations but for me it hurts seeing him in an oppo jumper. Particularly port. I still love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Neale inspiration...really lifted when needed.

Suitcase is First Class...those hands and vision

Lyons is arguably Lions best freebie ever...anyone who watched him at ADEL or GC could see he could get it.

I love the Berry Berry good brothers.

Forwards took some nice marks. Kicking for goal still an issue though.

Hope CEY gets back soon. Adds some hardness and size in the middle.
How good was it when Clugga realed around and hit Charlie up .
He premeditated the kick before he realed around, absolute beauty.

And wow section 66 row CC , great view of the ground and still close to the action, as to hear the thud when RAYNER bumped whoever into mashed potato.

Good win guys, my take is that your lads are about 12 months ahead of ours in terms of development and it showed last night. With all the drama and poor form of the other clubs that should be contenders (Tiges, Pies, Toast, etc) I'd say #1 seed is a pretty fair assessment of the Lions right now.

Good luck for the rest of the season (unless you meet us in a final)

How good does it feel this morning?!?

Fagan reckons that’s the best performance we have put in yet. That second quarter was sheer domination. Proper foot on the throat stuff and to see it so early in the game sends a huuuuuge message to the competition. It might be a compromised season but we ain’t playing compromised footy.

If we keep that up for the games down in Sydney it’s going to be interesting to see how Victoria starts to react. Go Lions!

If we keep that up for the games down in Sydney it’s going to be interesting to see how Victoria starts to react. Go Lions!
They will want to abandon the season...

Good win guys, my take is that your lads are about 12 months ahead of ours in terms of development and it showed last night. With all the drama and poor form of the other clubs that should be contenders (Tiges, Pies, Toast, etc) I'd say #1 seed is a pretty fair assessment of the Lions right now.

Good luck for the rest of the season (unless you meet us in a final)
I don't think Port were too bad and this result at least identified some issues to address. Mainly IMO - need a tall defender (Westoff?) and the midfield were too offensive and need to find a better balance.

Rayner’s game is building in some subtle ways this season. His work rate off the ball has really lifted. I kept a close eye on him at the ground last night and he is starting to do the type of work that Mitch Robinson also does, getting to places where he needs to be and just making up the numbers to even up the contest. Some of it isn’t glamorous but there were a few times where is involvement either lead to an attacking opportunity or snuffed out their opportunity because he changed the dynamics at the contest. Signs of him starting to mature as a player.

Berry Senior is becoming a damaging weapon. He will soon require opposition coaches to put much more time into him because he can quickly become damaging. An impressive ability to bust tackles now. He made Rockliff look second rate several times.

Seated above the interchange it was also interesting to see that our interchanges were much smoother than theirs. They frequently had guys stuck off the field trying to get others off. We very rarely had that. We managed being down a rotation really well I thought.

I don't think Port were too bad and this result at least identified some issues to address. Mainly IMO - need a tall defender (Westoff?) and the midfield were too offensive and need to find a better balance.
I, for the life of me can’t remember his name but didn’t they get rid of a young tall back last year?
One that many thought would end up one of their best players.
I believe Port fans weren’t real happy about it either.

How good does it feel this morning?!?

Fagan reckons that’s the best performance we have put in yet. That second quarter was sheer domination. Proper foot on the throat stuff and to see it so early in the game sends a huuuuuge message to the competition. It might be a compromised season but we ain’t playing compromised footy.

Speaking of foot on throat I get the feeling if we were playing normal length qtrs we would be kicking many redtime goals or behinds.

Last edited:
That’s the problem sometimes when you play teams down the bottom of the ladder for an extended period.
The defensive side of the game drops off because it isn’t needed as much.
And you can get found wanting when you play the good teams.
(Still feels a bit odd calling us a good team, but we are indeed a good team.)

Back