Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I, for the life of me can’t remember his name but didn’t they get rid of a young tall back last year?
One that many thought would end up one of their best players.
I believe Port fans weren’t real happy about it either.
His reputation was degraded after we belted them over there...Dougal.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Bailey is a 200 gamer in the making. Smart, good ball user, good speed, tough and versatile.

Clugga is turning in to a bull and the rest of the comp is in trouble.

JBez so valuable when he is fit. Is a clearance machine.

Rayner is starting to look like an extractor when in the middle. Really starting to have a regular impact all around the ground now.

16 and 17 drafts looking like home runs.

Best footy from the Lions since the premiership years.

Still smiling.

Not sure how Witho would be ahead of Answerth, or if anyone would be ahead of anyone else.

With no NEAFL or any meaningful second tier comp, it must be extremely difficult to assess "form" much less demonstrate it if you're out of the starting lineup

I really feel for the fringe players at all clubs.

My opinion is based off Zane Littlejohns Roar Deal interview. Answorth didn't get a mention whereas he praised Witho for his improvement and his leadership.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
My opinion is based off Zane Littlejohns Roar Deal interview. Answorth didn't get a mention whereas he praised Witho for his improvement and his leadership.

I wonder why Answerh has been dropped out of consideration?

He had reached almost "lock" status last season and all the talk was how we were delighted to get him at such a cheap pick in the draft.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
I, for the life of me can’t remember his name but didn’t they get rid of a young tall back last year?
One that many thought would end up one of their best players.
I believe Port fans weren’t real happy about it either.
Dougal Howard, went to the Saints. He was their tallest defender.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
I feel like he still isn't getting the praise he deserves but what about the reemergence of Lester?? Had the one blue with the double airey but he does so many things in defense that just keep us in good sted (zoning, shepherding, contesting in the air, setting up 1-2s in the backline). He's never going to be the superstar but you can 95% of the time rely on him to get his job done.

Last edited:

He had reached almost "lock" status last season and all the talk was how we were delighted to get him at such a cheap pick in the draft.

It's a weird year - I'm sure he's still rated.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

IMO he was becoming a liability late last season and especially in the finals . He's still a kid and will have learnt a lot from that . Witho was a lot better than him in the last few games.

Im still willing to hold on with McStay. He strikes me as the kind of player if we ever lost it would be the biggest mistake ever.
Provided he plays in front. He was great last night because he used his offensive weapons, running up the ground and marking in front of his opponents rather than flying for ‘Hail Mary’ attempts at the back of the pack when he was inside 50. Interesting that Fagan said post match that he instructed the forwards to ‘go for their marks’ which hopefully means the ‘strategy’ (cough cough) of tall forwards just having to bring the ball to the ground is dead and buried. McStay could have kicked a couple more if he didn’t miss a sitter, a good mark he took wasn’t overturned for a team mates infringement and the umpire paid a clear mark that he took. It is going to be very easy to like GOOD DAN if he continues to play the way he did last night from here on in and the memory of BAD DAN fades.

Last edited:

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Goodness me, Hippy copped some solid whacks last night. Tom Jonas lined him up on multiple occasions. Port really love playing the man, don't they.

Goodness me, Hippy copped some solid whacks last night. Tom Jonas lined him up on multiple occasions. Port really love playing the man, don't they.
When you are consistently getting beaten, it’s easier to start playing the man rather than the ball.

Port are the greatest bunch of ‘down hill skiers’ going around AND they are our bunnies. We have beaten them three games straight by being harder at the contest than they are and they can’t cope. Far easier to snipe and take cheap shots than it is to put your body on the line and go for the ball. They are also the commentators pets, exemplified by the cringeworthy focus on Charlie Dixon last night. Harris Andrews COMPLETELY PANTSED DIXON LAST NIGHT, but the commentators would not shut up about him. It was terrible commentary from some not very bright callers.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We really were only excellent in the 2nd term.

Lost the contest quite comfortably in the first, were scratchy in the third and took the foot off in the last.
I agree but the energy expended in the second term had a huge impact on our second half. You could see towards the end how tired players were. And port are a good team, that fought it out even though they probably knew they couldn’t win. Overall I would take that effort everY week.

There was some laughably bad umpiring last night. The unpaid marks were very annoying - when they started paying the late hits on marking players they probably went for the most innocuous one of the night - and the only thing that was consistent was inconsistency. It wasn't biased, just s**t. Not paying the 50 against Hartlett for his late hit on Berry kind of set the tone for late hits on marking players for the rest of the night. Some clearly controlled balls not paid as marks that were pretty frustrating too.

McStay's first quarter was huge, I was surprised to see he only finished with 7 marks after he had 5 at quarter time. I thought Diz's form was a bit down over the last couple of games but he seemed back to himself last night and some of our ball movement and pressure was amazing. We coasted a bit in the second half but it's good to see that we can adapt strategically to complete blow a game apart in one quarter and then control the game and conserve energy with one eye on next week without falling apart or panicking when our opposition starts to get some momentum back.

35F132C4-03DE-427E-887A-0333309FF58B.png

* Charlie Dixon.

I think the fan love for Answerth because he was so whole hearted and focused on his job hid the fact that he wasn’t giving us a lot offensively. IMO, he epitomises (but isn’t the sole cause of) the issues we ended up having when trying to move the ball out of our back half last year. He’s conservative with ball in hand which is not necessarily a bad thing but ultimately doesn’t help the team to break down the best defences.

When you look at our current defensive group, Dizzy is the only stopper and even he’s showing a more attacking side to his game this year. The others all provide some sort of offensive threat, whether it is winning the ball back, penetrating by foot or through run. Ah Chee is probably the one question mark in that mix and even he’s been pretty solid for a couple of weeks and brings pace to the mix.

I’m an Answerth fan but I had him as a marginal selection coming into this year when others had him locked in. I think we need more offence from his game and I’d almost guarantee that’s what he’s working on.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port are the greatest bunch of ‘down hill skiers’ going around AND they are our bunnies. We have beaten them three games straight by being harder at the contest than they are and they can’t cope. Far easier to snipe and take cheap shots than it is to put your body on the line and go for the ball. They are also the commentators pets, exemplified by the cringeworthy focus on Charlie Dixon last night. Harris Andrews COMPLETELY PANTSED DIXON LAST NIGHT, but the commentators would not shut up about him. It was terrible commentary from some not very bright callers.
Lol. We are commentators pets when playing you guys. Try watching the commentating when we play against most other sides.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There was some laughably bad umpiring last night. The unpaid marks were very annoying - when they started paying the late hits on marking players they probably went for the most innocuous one of the night - and the only thing that was consistent was inconsistency. It wasn't biased, just sh*t. Not paying the 50 against Hartlett for his late hit on Berry kind of set the tone for late hits on marking players for the rest of the night. Some clearly controlled balls not paid as marks that were pretty frustrating too.

McStay's first quarter was huge, I was surprised to see he only finished with 7 marks after he had 5 at quarter time. I thought Diz's form was a bit down over the last couple of games but he seemed back to himself last night and some of our ball movement and pressure was amazing. We coasted a bit in the second half but it's good to see that we can adapt strategically to complete blow a game apart in one quarter and then control the game and conserve energy with one eye on next week without falling apart or panicking when our opposition starts to get some momentum back.
Agree about the umpiring. I thought every time the whistle blew it was a raffle. I don’t think either side really benefited. we won because we continued to attack and played with confidence, forcing port on the back foot.

a few posters were critical of Darcy last week after a ordinary game. Others noted he suffered a bad head knock that could have effected his performance. He showed tonight why he is one of the first picked every week. Nothing flash, just did whatever job he was given.

if Darcy is arguably the most underrated defender in the league, then surely Lyons is the most under rated mid fielder.

time to put the Ah Che experimented on hold and give someone else a chance. I understand the logic of his recruitment but sometimes players take time to adjust to a new club environment. Give him sometime in the scratch matches to see if he can come good.

Back