Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
How's Tony Jones' soft Vic Metro-esque attitude on the SFS. I'm in agreeance with Kane Cornes for once.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
How did Port address their small backline in the third and fourth?

They had their midfield take a more balanced approach so it would get in less from bounces/stoppages. Then whenever the ball came into defense, Port would do a similar setup that they did for Dixon last week, where they put one guy up front to put pressure on our talls and another to either spoil or take the mark making a two on one. When they couldn't do that their defenders would put one at the front and one at the back to stop the tap/chaos ball.

In quarters 1 and 2 they either tried to do that unsuccessfully or they lost the 1 on 1.

Not so sure when it comes to the nauseous love Dermie has for Big Charlie love child Dixon.
I think he just loves those big muscular key forwards - he's had similar crushes on guys like that over the years.

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any guesses for the Brownlow votes? It was a great team effort and I didn't think anyone was particularly outstanding. I'll say Neale (3), McCluggage (2) and Andrews (1)

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayner’s game is building in some subtle ways this season. His work rate off the ball has really lifted. I kept a close eye on him at the ground last night and he is starting to do the type of work that Mitch Robinson also does, getting to places where he needs to be and just making up the numbers to even up the contest. Some of it isn’t glamorous but there were a few times where is involvement either lead to an attacking opportunity or snuffed out their opportunity because he changed the dynamics at the contest. Signs of him starting to mature as a player.

Berry Senior is becoming a damaging weapon. He will soon require opposition coaches to put much more time into him because he can quickly become damaging. An impressive ability to bust tackles now. He made Rockliff look second rate several times.

Seated above the interchange it was also interesting to see that our interchanges were much smoother than theirs. They frequently had guys stuck off the field trying to get others off. We very rarely had that. We managed being down a rotation really well I thought.
J Berry's ability to break tackles with sheer power was incredible. He is developing into a real beast.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the fan love for Answerth because he was so whole hearted and focused on his job hid the fact that he wasn’t giving us a lot offensively. IMO, he epitomises (but isn’t the sole cause of) the issues we ended up having when trying to move the ball out of our back half last year. He’s conservative with ball in hand which is not necessarily a bad thing but ultimately doesn’t help the team to break down the best defences.

When you look at our current defensive group, Dizzy is the only stopper and even he’s showing a more attacking side to his game this year. The others all provide some sort of offensive threat, whether it is winning the ball back, penetrating by foot or through run. Ah Chee is probably the one question mark in that mix and even he’s been pretty solid for a couple of weeks and brings pace to the mix.

I’m an Answerth fan but I had him as a marginal selection coming into this year when others had him locked in. I think we need more offence from his game and I’d almost guarantee that’s what he’s working on.
Correct.

I think the GWS game was icing on his cake . But he has a lot of potential and will be a Senior player again in the next couple of years.

I feel like he still isn't getting the praise he deserves ut what about the reemergence of Lester?? Had the one blue with the double airey but he does so many things in defense that just keep us in good sted (zoning, shepherding, contesting in the air, setting up 1-2s in the backline). He's never going to be the superstar but you can 95% of the time rely on him to get his job done.

He was so important in the first quarter - really impressive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayners Jackie chan kick showed his work rate. He was part of the chain in the midfield, the ball moved fast but he ran half the length of the field to be on the end of the chain.
He's doing things he couldn't do before because he's a lot fitter.

Improve his tank and sharpen up his skills a little and he can still become the outstanding player we hoped for.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our pace to create pressure in fwd half sets us apart. The shorter quarters actually helps us as we can maintain the rage for longer. I saw a number of times Bailey, T Berry and Cam R chasing hard across the field to apply pressure. They were never going to make the tackle but it did make the kicker rush the kick a bit which in turn made our defenders lives easier.

Our discipline was poor again last night. We won’t be winning the competition until we are a disciplined team.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has Lester gotten a bit quicker? He has made it to contests I feel like he'd have missed in the past.
Was thinking the same last week when he ran down someone...past seasons he appeared to be running on the spot.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Below is my Footy Almanac Review of the game, written on the Hume Highway, coming back from Canberra

The first half was a tale of two quarters: the first when Port dominated general play but could not score, and the second when the Lions won the game. The difference was quite simple: defence. Brisbane’s stood up and Port’s crumbled.

Port kicked six goals for the entire game despite having supposedly the best big forward in the league. It became tedious listening to the commentators pontificating on ‘Big Charlie’ who was no match for the best full back in he league, Harris Andrews. Andrews has the most under rated defender in the league standing in front of him, Darcy Gardener and, out on the flank, Brisbane have the best small defender, Daniel Rich.

Port kicked five behinds in the first quarter, one rushed and the others, all shots under pressure. In the second quarter the Port defence was powerless to stop the avalanche of Lion’s goals. The shift by the Lions to man up around the contest rather than have one back was cited by Lachie Neale as the reason for the change in the contest around the ball, while the Port defence was simply too short to provide any meaningful contest. The three Port tall defenders were many inches shorter than their direct opponents.

One contest in the second quarter summed up the game. McCarthy flattened his opponent out on the far wing. He didn’t merely bump him, he smashed him. The Lions have a set of hard and tough on ballers now. The Berry boys go hard. Hugh McCluggage is now a tackling beast. Cam Rayner, Jarryd Lyons, I could go on, all have become hard nuts.

Daniel McStay had a personal purple patch in the first quarter having the ball on a string. This was important as it was against the run of play and while he was much quieter for the rest of the match, it was the best game he has ever played. Both he and Hipwood missed relatively easy shots at goal so that’s a problem still at the Lions.

Port have a problem in their defence and Westoff could find himself down back later in the season. They have been impressive so far this season but their supporters will remember their topsy turvy season last year where they would win one, lose one, seemly untroubled by their oppositions spot on the ladder. They scored a goal from a kick in going up the middle early on in the match so that’s all they tried all day, going to Dixon every time. They didn’t have any other tall timber to aim for but I thought mixing it up would have been a worthwhile strategy.

This was a convincing display by the flag favourites but they now have two games in NSW against Collngwood and the Giants that will tell us more about them.

Derrinalphil votes

• 3 Votes Harris Andrews
  • 2 Votes Daniel Rich
  • 1 Vote Darcy Gardener

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only a few games in for the season but loving the look of our transition out of defence. Between Rich, Birchall & Clug we've got some sublime users of the ball by foot.

Has Lester gotten a bit quicker? He has made it to contests I feel like he'd have missed in the past.

I wondered this. There have been a number of contests where I've immediately thought oh he is too far back to impact this but he has.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good luck to Adams who is going to have to try and earn his spot back off Lester now. While Adams is strong and has shown he can take the gorillas like Hawkins, he can also panic a bit when the ball hits the ground.

Lester on the other hand is composed as hell and rarely loses a contest - outside of last nights airswing that led to a goal. I don't know if he's improved on last year, but he could be a key player come finals time.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder why Answerh has been dropped out of consideration?

He had reached almost "lock" status last season and all the talk was how we were delighted to get him at such a cheap pick in the draft.
recruiting the 33 year old Birchall

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Not paying the 50 against Hartlett for his late hit on Berry kind of set the tone for late hits on marking players for the rest of the night. Some clearly controlled balls not paid as marks that were pretty frustrating too.
Which would have been except they paid a 50 for less the very next quarter against Gardiner. So inconsistent.

Back