Review Round 5, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Which would have been except they paid a 50 for less the very next quarter against Gardiner. So inconsistent.

There was an incident in the last where Linc and Port player(?) got tangled up chasing a ball near the boundary wing on the Stanley St side.

Last quarter I think.

They literally both tripped over each other and fell over the boundary line together.

Umpy races in to pay a free to.........?

Linc

Those of us near the "incident" couldn't help burst out laughing. Just an appalling decision when it clearly should have been a throw in.

It kind of epitomised the umpiring all night. When they couldn't work out what happened,they pretty much just guessed a free (or not)

They were terrible.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has Lester gotten a bit quicker? He has made it to contests I feel like he'd have missed in the past.
I have been watching him closely in chase situations since he came back in. I think he has gained a few yards. Iirc he had bad back related hamstring issues. Seems like he has worked hard to get his body right.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our pace to create pressure in fwd half sets us apart. The shorter quarters actually helps us as we can maintain the rage for longer. I saw a number of times Bailey, T Berry and Cam R chasing hard across the field to apply pressure. They were never going to make the tackle but it did make the kicker rush the kick a bit which in turn made our defenders lives easier.

Our discipline was poor again last night. We won’t be winning the competition until we are a disciplined team.
What examples of poor discipline?

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Good luck to Adams who is going to have to try and earn his spot back off Lester now. While Adams is strong and has shown he can take the gorillas like Hawkins, he can also panic a bit when the ball hits the ground.

Lester on the other hand is composed as hell and rarely loses a contest - outside of last nights airswing that led to a goal. I don't know if he's improved on last year, but he could be a key player come finals time.

At the time I though he made a good choice to play footy rather than soccer!!!!

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our pace to create pressure in fwd half sets us apart. The shorter quarters actually helps us as we can maintain the rage for longer. I saw a number of times Bailey, T Berry and Cam R chasing hard across the field to apply pressure. They were never going to make the tackle but it did make the kicker rush the kick a bit which in turn made our defenders lives easier.

Our discipline was poor again last night. We won’t be winning the competition until we are a disciplined team.
Poor discipline...please elaborate?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He’s probably referring to the fact we probably average 1 reversal free kick against a game when we have a shot at goal over the past few years.
We do.

Plus Dizzy's push after the mark .There was nothing in it but it was only he and his opponent within 50m of anyone else so what on earth was the point ?

Experienced players shouldn't be doing that and I marked his game down because of it. I guess the game wasn't close so he thought why not.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saturday's game has almost convinced me that Charlie should play further up the field.
8 inside 50's, brings our other forwards into the game, less predictable.
At least when he's being blanketed, by the likes of Grimes for example, moving him into the centre could be a game changer.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Saturday's game has almost convinced me that Charlie should play further up the field.
At least when he's being blanketed, by the likes of Grimes for example, moving him into the centre could be a game changer.
Funny you should say that . He looks really devastating when he gets up the ground and breaks the play up.

We seemed to kick plenty of goals with him up the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I really thought Stef's return to the team was telling; just a different team with him in it.

Aside from the usual suspects, Dan McStay's game was my highlight, even though I've always been a fan. The one guy who again was really unimpressive, was Ah Chee. I still can't work out how or why he is getting a game ahead of Answerth or Witherden.

Having just re-watched the game again, the commentating was out and out horrendous. Comprised blatant barracking for Port and as I flagged during the week, Dermott's infatuation and high school crush of Charlie Dixon is embarrassing. Are there not "higher-ups" who critique their commentating and / or tell them to just commentate the game as opposed to the crap they regularly dish up.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
He could easily take some of Linc's midfield minutes, who has found some form as a forward.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really thought Stef's return to the team was telling; just a different team with him in it.

Aside from the usual suspects, Dan McStay's game was my highlight, even though I've always been a fan. The one guy who again was really unimpressive, was Ah Chee. I still can't work out how or why he is getting a game ahead of Answerth or Witherden.

Having just re-watched the game again, the commentating was out and out horrendous. Comprised blatant barracking for Port and as I flagged during the week, Dermott's infatuation and high school crush of Charlie Dixon is embarrassing. Are there not "higher-ups" who critique their commentating and / or tell them to just commentate the game as opposed to the crap they regularly dish up.
Dermot was embarrassing this week.

I struggled to make any sense of what his drivel most of the time and watched the game with my daughter who isn't a footy expert by any means and she was flat out laughing every time he opened his mouth . Just throwing her hands in the air going 'wt..was that about' ?

I agree it was amateur and it was all of them. For someone bored, you could count the number of positive comments for each team. "King Charlie's" mentions and screen time ratio to a 6 possession game could also be a record.

Also, they just cater for the VIC/SA/WA viewers and sometimes I think that they actually forget that it is being beamed into QLD or NSW.

Dermot was embarrassing this week.

I struggled to make any sense of what his drivel most of the time and watched the game with my daughter who isn't a footy expert by any means and she was flat out laughing every time he opened his mouth . Just throwing her hands in the air going 'wt..was that about' ?
Only good thing he said was that one of the Port defensers was following McStay around like a caravan in tow or something similar.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wasn’t a great game of commentary at all, was very hard to listen to at times.

Derm for all the reasons stated previously.

Gerard I find is super negative.

Hudson - never liked him, he’s always annoyed me to no end. Always trying to be clever coming up with new one off sort of phrases but it’s all sort of forced.

BT is going OTT as well at the minute trying a bit hard, even harder than usual. See what he dishes up Thursday if we have him.

Brenton Speed I would like to hear more from.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Provided he plays in front. He was great last night because he used his offensive weapons, running up the ground and marking in front of his opponents rather than flying for ‘Hail Mary’ attempts at the back of the pack when he was inside 50. Interesting that Fagan said post match that he instructed the forwards to ‘go for their marks’ which hopefully means the ‘strategy’ (cough cough) of tall forwards just having to bring the ball to the ground is dead and buried. McStay could have kicked a couple more if he didn’t miss a sitter, a good mark he took wasn’t overturned for a team mates infringement and the umpire paid a clear mark that he took. It is going to be very easy to like GOOD DAN if he continues to play the way he did last night from here on in and the memory of BAD DAN fades.

I wouldn't get my hopes up think this tactic was tailored for Ports short back line. I expect our forward line will return to normal V Cats. It's all good Dan tho just a different style. Like the ad went- is Dan is Good!

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wasn’t a great game of commentary at all, was very hard to listen to at times.

Derm for all the reasons stated previously.

Gerard I find is super negative.

Hudson - never liked him, he’s always annoyed me to no end. Always trying to be clever coming up with new one off sort of phrases but it’s all sort of forced.

BT is going OTT as well at the minute trying a bit hard, even harder than usual. See what he dishes up Thursday if we have him.

Brenton Speed I would like to hear more from.

Personally a big fan of "Huddo" an excellent commentator who clearly is a fan of the Lions. One of the least biased out and nicely balanced out the rubbish from Derm.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Brereton is a flog.

Just watching the First Crack and David King is talking up Harris Andrews and saying he is the best key defender in the game and absolutely smashed Charlie Dixon on the weekend.

Of course, Brereton says Dixon wasn't towelled up and defends Dixon's game. :rolleyes:

Brereton is practically in Ricciuto territory in that he is brain dead and morons on Fox actually employ this bloke. Why?

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've got to rewatch and count how many times it was Harris who fisted away the long down the center kick-out... It just kept happening again and again. Would have been infuriating for a Port supporter.
Also to a degree, Ports defense heightened our forward...prowess. Goddamn McStay got basically an uncontested mark just outside the box...

Re: Dixon, the out of the ruck behind he got, if you were trusting of the commentators; it was one of the best goals of all time. Added to the shoddy camera work more focused on showing Dixon as close as possible.. I was certainly shocked when Rich collected the ball to kick-out.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
1593961273354.png

Thanks @AFLPlayerRating on twitter

Back