Autopsy Round 5, 2020: Carlton v St.Kilda *BUTLER & HOWARD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's why you just persist with Coffield over the Webster/Savage types, quality player that needs a good run of games to get the confidence at this level. Perhaps his best game for the club.
And people were upset when we drafted him because he was a "half back flanker" and we had to many.

Savage, Webster, Geary, Roberton, White, McKenzie, Rice. None of these guys down there tonight and some of them gone anyway.

Coff is the real deal and holding his own down there with Paton. Coff absolutely burnt Sam Walsh on the boundary line was great to see.

Question for the elder statesmen of the board.

I was about a year too young to really get involved in 97. Didn’t miss many games in 98 for example.

I know a few people who have mentioned that the attacking footy. Young players stepping up etc is giving them vibes of 97’

Now I’m not even implying that it will be a grand final year or even a successful year. But from those that sat through 97 week on week, are the current group giving similar vibes?

There was potential. Aussie, Brown, Smith, Thompson a mature recruit, the Wakelins, Hall, Spider, Lappin..... it was certainly buzzing. But we suffered in many ways, injuries, discipline, mentally, greed.... I remember 97 for how dominant we were at centre clearances. I don't know the stats so this could backfire on me hehe, but I just remember the total faith and reliability of Spider to Burke to Harvey out of the middle.

Question for the elder statesmen of the board.

I was about a year too young to really get involved in 97. Didn’t miss many games in 98 for example.

I know a few people who have mentioned that the attacking footy. Young players stepping up etc is giving them vibes of 97’

Now I’m not even implying that it will be a grand final year or even a successful year. But from those that sat through 97 week on week, are the current group giving similar vibes?

Not really. There were some of the best players the Saints have ever had in the core senior group. Winmar, Harves, Burke, Loewe. These guys had done it tough to be the players they were. Our senior group right now are blokes more or less brought over from successful systems. We're still waiting for it gel on the park...although I'm sure they're driving standards on the track.
For me it's the under 25 guys driving the momentum and fast tracking the older guys to get onboard.
It's a different type of excitement. In 97 it was momentum finally coming our way. This is more a seize the day, coup, revolution in the air...god knows what happens next, type of vibe.

I've always been a huge supporter of Billings and I've got to say I'm so happy to see him coming into his own. He's gone through a full blown transformation the last year and a half from a nervous wreck to an absolute ice cold killer. Worked hard all day and so much of his in and under work goes unnoticed but he won some contested ball when he needed to. Not to mention what I will claim was the sealer from 45. Love it!

Let's be honest though, with that 2nd half we won't win many games.

Fast start, young team, 5 day break and 1 man down.
But we held it together. Can’t ask for much more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note that we were younger, shorter, lighter and less experienced tonight, but clearly better.

There is a lot of upside in our younger players, and amongst our older older players who played tonight, Geary is the only one who may not be there in 3 seasons time. And in Paton we already have a replacement.

Add a genuine elite inside mid to what we have, and watch out......

Average Attributes​
CarltonAttributeSt Kilda
188.6cmHeight188.0cm
86.9kgWeight86.0kg
26yr 0mthAge24yr 8mth
105.2Games76.7

Was a bit disappointed long didn't rattle any body tonight but carlise filled my void. I just had to live with long taking a specky and going back with the flight I'm in love with this bloke

Marsh got at least one good one in as well which was great to see haha

How exciting are these young Saints!
They play with pace and dare!
Yet show a maturity that belies their age!
My pants were throbbing in that first half
And when the expected surge came from the blues just like last week we countered with some class!
Very impressive indeed. These young fellas Wilkie, Battle except for his unusually woeful kicking at goal to tonight. King getting better every week
And so clever and classy, Long superb, his attack on the footy and the man is a sight to behold. Clark and Coffield showing their talent. Paton solid, Marshall good and with the solid contribution from the leaders Geary magnificent, Carlisle and Steele excellent. All round team footy at its best! And there is still plenty of improvement in them.
I'm a pretty happy and drunk Malaka right now long may it continue!

Fortius Quo Fidelis
Go you mighty Saints! :stkilda:

I don't think it's any coincidence that Billings, Gresham, Clark, Long and Coffield are all going to another level under Ratts, he's given them a license to thrill.

They look like they are enjoying their footy again, under Richo playing footy was a chore, they didn't enjoy it and we didn't enjoy watching it.

Ratts has thrown off the shackles and let them express themselves.

Don't go for second best.

There's a few quotes rattling around in my head tonight.

.doesn't look like Coff will be any good

.Marsh is no good

.Battle should stay in defense, never showed much up forward

.Steele should stick to tagging, seems to have plateaued as a mid

Now on to matters not concerning lashings of humble pie.

Our forward pack of Ming, Battle, Marsh and Members is gonna give every other team in the league headaches. Big and mobile.

Backline full of kids is a stunningly good group. They swarm like flies on sh1t and are fast and skilled. I am truly looking forward to how good they're gonna be by years end.

And the new ethos of actually scoring. Even when momentum changed, we kept scoring, and scoring, and scoring.
The old saints would have shut down and lost it.

Ratts is the man. He's breathed life into this team and to a man they've responded. Fukn ledgend!!

St Kilda FC has secured a 2017 first round draft pick and two 2016 second round picks (currently 23 and 36), in an exchange completed with Hawthorn FC late today. As part of the trade, the Saints will send selection 10 in the 2016 AFL Draft, as well as a fourth round pick (number 68), to the Hawks.

This deal is looking better and better.....

So that is Hunter Clark, Ben Long and Josh Battle.

Instead of say one of Jack Bowes, Oliver Florent or Jy Simpkin.....and basically no one (68. Ironnically Ryan Abott went at 69).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back