Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

No it didn't.

That's just making excuses for bad games from players and coaches.
GHMBA doesn’t suit our game style. We knew it going in to that game and we knew it afterwards. It’s no coincidence whatsoever that Geelong stacked all there players around every stoppage whereas our players were trying to keep it spread out. It was the game plan that let us down which was also amplified by the decision not to replace JOM with a like for like.

Also I never said we weren’t poor or made excuses but rather just pointing out the obvious. We were all fearful of that shitbox they call a football oval and our fears became reality really from the opening bounce.

GHMBA doesn’t suit our game style.
Then it's up to the coaches to adapt or change the gameplan, and the players to execute it. Playing with skinnier wings doesn't make a 10 goal difference to the score. In fact you've pretty much backed up what I said with your reasoning because if the Cats' players were crowded around the ball more, then there was plenty of space elsewhere to cover for the lack of wing space compared to the MCG. These are professional athletes and they're adaptable. They're not some once-a-week social competition players who don't train.

The ground's dimensions didn't change on game day, they've always been like that, and the players and coaches knew the dimensions and would have setup Waverley to mimic the ground's dimension for four weeks.

The fault lies at the feet of the coaches and players, not the ground. Don't make excuses.

We were all fearful
Of what? The no crowd? The skinny wings? Please. If that s**t scares you, you are best off finding a suburban league to play in.

It’s not about match up for him
It’s about create pressure slow them down to long bombs and kicking down the line. Today’s ugly footy.
Going to be interesting to see what we do with McEvoy this week. No real match up for him at GWS. Cameron has been playing higher up the ground and Toby Greene is the most dangerous marking forward they have..

Greene - Stratton
Cameron - Frawley
Finlayson - Sicily
Himmelberg - Frost
Other cookie-cutter smalls - Hardwick/Scrimshaw

McEvoy?

Going to be interesting to see what we do with McEvoy this week. No real match up for him at GWS. Cameron has been playing higher up the ground and Toby Greene is the most dangerous marking forward they have..

Greene - Stratton
Cameron - Frawley
Finlayson - Sicily
Himmelberg - Frost
Other cookie-cutter smalls - Hardwick/Scrimshaw

McEvoy?

Probably do a Robert Walls and throw him in the ruck ? :p

Calling it now, Harry Jones will go past Worpel as midfielder. Love Worpel but Harry has a couple of more tricks - just needs to have a clear run at it without injuries
Big call. Worpel has it all.

I'm a little worried about Worpel. Has lost his mojo and I hope he gets it back soon.

Bit of an odd situation and question. I got a late minute call up for a work conference up in Sydney (leaving tomorrow) meaning I would be there for the next week and a bit. What's the procedure in obtaining/applying for tickets? Club website and emails are pretty quiet on that front.
There was a ballot a few days ago and I'm still waiting to hear whether we got tickets!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then it's up to the coaches to adapt or change the gameplan, and the players to execute it. Playing with skinnier wings doesn't make a 10 goal difference to the score. In fact you've pretty much backed up what I said with your reasoning because if the Cats' players were crowded around the ball more, then there was plenty of space elsewhere to cover for the lack of wing space compared to the MCG. These are professional athletes and they're adaptable. They're not some once-a-week social competition players who don't train.

The ground's dimensions didn't change on game day, they've always been like that, and the players and coaches knew the dimensions and would have setup Waverley to mimic the ground's dimension for four weeks.

The fault lies at the feet of the coaches and players, not the ground. Don't make excuses.

Of what? The no crowd? The skinny wings? Please. If that sh*t scares you, you are best off finding a suburban league to play in.
Stop putting words in my mouth FFS. I’m not making any excuses for the coaches or the players. I put the blame squarely at the feet of the coaches who decided to go with tactics that I feel were never going to work the same way they would on a bigger ground like the MCG. No I don’t think the familiarity of GHMBA should’ve been a 10 goal advantage but the ground familiarity is an advantage none the less. It’s very rarely that Clarko gets out coached but I won’t fault him due to the fact that he hasn’t coached there in over a decade. The ill equipped game plan the players were expected to execute made them look god awful and out of position most of the time. The disappointing part for me was to see little to no resistance once Geelong went on that huge run right after halftime. Was it the game plan or was it the effort? I kind of feel like it was a little of both but the players looked absolutely gassed and unable to stop the run.

Clarko commented in the presser that every time we tried to move the ball we ran out of space and if that hasn’t got anything to do with the ground dimensions being thinner then I’ll be f**ked. You were very critical of my post but you failed to mention my comment about the selection committee not replacing a like for like for JOM. Outside of the game plan not working I feel that we batted 1-2 midfielders too short which also contributed to us running out of legs. We brought in Dimma for JOM and that was a big mistake and I mentioned that in the preview thread.

If you want take what I said as making ‘excuses’ then I don’t really GAF but one thing I do know is that you sound like and epic douche the way you get your opinion across.

Surprised Patton names emergency. Would be keen to see how he goes against his old team. I’m expecting a late change. Perhaps for Lewis or TOB?
Wouldn't have thought so unless he was hurt, they have stuck with TOB through some very quiet games but he was actually pretty decent last week.

Also think we need him to keep Haynes honest, let him dominate in the air and we are in trouble.

Wouldn't have thought so unless he was hurt, they have stuck with TOB through some very quiet games but he was actually pretty decent last week.

Also think we need him to keep Haynes honest, let him dominate in the air and we are in trouble.
True. Haynes has been impressive recently. Almost a one man show at times keeping that backline together.

I'm a little worried about Worpel. Has lost his mojo and I hope he gets it back soon.
His disposals are down about 10% or 2 disposals per game when you consider reduced playing time.
BUT...his tackles are way up even with reduced playing time. Normalised to full quarters, his tackle count has almost doubled.
He is doing a lot of heavy duty work in the guts with his pressure work, but still finding the ball about the same all things considered.
It does look to me like he is making a point of applying as much pressure as possible. Perhaps this is his mandate at stoppages and then find the ball wherever thereafter.

This might give the impression that he is down on form bc he isn't catching the eye as much, but his output is still at a very high standard and I'm sure the coaches are very pleased with him so far.

Calling it now, Harry Jones will go past Worpel as midfielder. Love Worpel but Harry has a couple of more tricks - just needs to have a clear run at it without injuries
This would be nice, but I’d just be happy if he plays regular AFL footy.

In the past 7-8 years, have got excited by countless midfielders who have come through the club via the draft, and the only one to ever cement their spot was Worps. Granted we’ve had unbelievable incumbents in the way, but it always feels like a an absolute rarity that one breaks through.

In the past 7-8 years, have got excited by countless midfielders who have come through the club via the draft, and the only one to ever cement their spot was Worps. Granted we’ve had unbelievable incumbents in the way, but it always feels like a an absolute rarity that one breaks through.
You have to be really bloody good to play first string midfield at afl level. It helps a lot if you can play elsewhere and rotate through the midfield. Jones gets his chance, which is very exciting. Looks like he has developed his body to stand up to afl, which has been his issue in previous season. Can’t wait to see him play.

Exactly right. We need to cool our jets a little on expectations for a debutant.
Schneider, Hallahan, Lovell, Hartung, Garlett, ORourke, Howe, Cousins, Morrison, etc. Are all mids who came in with big wraps. Guys not getting a game always end up more highly rated than those who are on here (as if our club don't know anything). Being better than Worpel is a big ask- let's just hope he contributes and can cement his spot first. I'll be honest though - I'm excited - especially as it is said he 'accelerates from stoppages which is different for us.

Last edited:
I may have missed this earlier in the thread but how do the dimensions of Giants Stadium compare to the G? Clearly the closer the better.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

A bit longer and about the same width

19ezNiS.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back