Autopsy Round 5, 2020: Hawthorn falls in a heap against the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL could easily fix the HTB rule. If you get tackled & don't either kick or handball the ball & it comes out, it's a free kick. If you hold on to it when tackled then if you have an arm free that is judged as prior, if not its a ball up.

This will mean players will try to get rid of it in the tackle but if they do hold it then they can be pinged for holding the ball if they have an arm free to kick it. This gets rid of the ridiculous grey area that is currently there.

Jones looked solid for his first hit out- i reckon he gets a run.
Real concerns over Shiels for next week though- five day turn around I reckon we might see another debut in the midfield next.
Defense getting toweled up early cost us in a big way- we were effectively torn apart by three players tonight- Davis, Himmelberg, & Finlayson

Patton is gonna need a big night against Collingwood I reckon.

Gunners looked good again, and our midfield looked good in patches.

Losing Scrimshaw is big- his use off the back line has been very solid for us

This was definitely a game that left a s**t taste in my mouth

Yeah i concede our tackling was poor tonight but even still the numbers don't add up, Haynes got caught dead cold twice and neither pinned. No way known we went two weeks with 2 HTB's only.

Honestly I thought most of the HTBs against us were there just if we got the same interpretations going our way it would be all good

10-1 GWS favour for holding the ball... the umpires are taking the piss on Clarko now.

Even Gary Lyon said and he hates us, compared to any other game this weekend the definition of holding the ball has been different in this game... then he said 10-1 their favour.

Our team was better, our coach was dumber. He cost us with umpires, he cost us with selection and he cost us with set up all night, and he found out today he's not the f'ing messiah, he's just becoming a very naughty boy lately.

So Brian Clarkson, until you get back where you once were. I will call you Brian just like Brian's mum did in The Life of Brian.

This is seriously rope a dope game (like GF2008 but that time in our favour) given their complete lack of inside 50's and yet complete domination on the scoreboard. At least in that game we kicked or walked thru Geelong's points. Tonight Clarko just embarassed himself, andyep that doewn't happen to often but it did today.
Gary Lyon doesn’t hate us. We’re probably his second favourite team

Well not much to say we are still inconsistent with attitude and application similar to the geelong effort.
Just lacked polish in key moment's today.

Issues
Forward line
Tob & Lewis are both miles away from it timmy is so incosistent. Patton is a obvious in but he will need Cegs or Mcevoy help in the air.
Defence
Easily scored against they had bugger all i50. Sic needs to play on the edge, once Scrimshaw was injured we lacked drive.
Mids
Scully, Hendo - both poor again you can't keep playing them both.
Jones- not quite ready no knock on the kid his frame is to light.

Changes
Lewis - Patton
Tob - Hartley def, Cegs/BB - fwd/ruck.
Scully - Finn.
Fingers crossed Scrimshaw gets up

Last edited:
I was more upset with our win last week than our loss today. I’m beyond caring anymore. We have an ageing list that is hot and cold, and our bottom 6 or do just aren’t upto it. And our future like OBrien is nowhere near it. Some lean times ahead. But seriously, what chance do you have when the umpiring is blatantly against you? No one can tell me that we are being officiated equally as the opposition. We lost today be because we’re not good enough but we’re not given any favours by the umpiring fraternity either. It’s corruption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of lemmings across BigFooty Were convinced by Clarko pointing out how s**t the umpires are was a strategy that was going to result in so many frees to Hawthorn. What they don’t ever understand is the handicap conditions we play under.

however umpires were not the reason we lost. Just frustrating seeing the same s**t every week for many years now

utterly s**t performance by those on the outside today killed us. Without Tom and jaeger we would have been annihilated tonight. Smith Henderson Scully in particular were all a liability

not sure how we can concede so easily on pretty much every entry Tonight. Deplorable

that was as poor as we have played for a long time. No system at all.

Last edited:
These games show at the moment we're a middle of the road side, and won't be challenging anytime soon.

Good games for Stratton, and when BB was moved into the ruck it was a big positive.

What strikes me the most is the is how every season has gone since 2017. We may start well, or we may start s**t. Then things change, we look fantastic for a few weeks before the same cycle starts. Really don't want to start being a bog average team (Carlton, Melbourne).

Time to play the kids, please and give them 2-3 games before we make a call on throwing them back to the 2's.

Please can we not play TOB anymore, please it hurts.

It’s like this game is run by angsty teenagers.

A reasonable criticism with the aim to improve the state of the game is made by a senior coach that is backed by objective stats and vision.

They say they agree and they’re going to make those adjustments and they seemingly do. But when the first opportunity arises to passive aggressively take it out on that club they take that opportunity to be petty with two hands. And with all the subtly of Minch’s new hair-do.

Looking forward to hearing what Clarko has to say in his presser after that. Maybe he’ll give the umpires over the top praise in a vain attempt to repair their fragile egos.

As for our performance. Just not good enough. And those injuries on a 5 day break aren’t going to help us.

Clarko not happy with the state of the game yet our whole game plan is based around defending. The amount of times we run forward and stop or go sideways is a reflection of this.
While this allows us to always be competitive and stay in games, we will always struggle to catch up once behind.
Would swear that we had Ross Lyon as coach.
Do i think potentially we are a good side, yes i do but are we any chance of winning a premiership this year, no way.
Would rather develop a few more kids than be a team that ends between 6th and 10th.
Be as brave as you were when you started your coaching Clarko and make some brave calls.

Honestly I thought most of the HTBs against us were there just if we got the same interpretations going our way it would be all good
Yeah no complaints with the ones we are getting pinned for. I also wanna add i don't at all think it is some conspiracy or the AFL/umps are trying to get us.

I just feel certain teams are being officiated differently and i want us to go to the AFL and see what those clubs are doing differently so we can adjust our style of play. You can not be a pressure heavy team that is not going to get rewarded for it.

What do you base this on?
O’Meara has a crack but doesn’t set up or kick enough goals, ditto for Mitch and Worpel. Perhaps they are a product of our poor, poor, poor forward setup.

Wingard is a small forward and not a midfielder, Smith, Shiels and Burgoyne are too old to be starting midfield.

Almost not worth speaking about the umpiring because what good does it do. We are just consistently getting screwed by their inconsistency every week and it will continue.

Concerning with how easily they scored when they went forward and they made us pay almost every time. They had 68% efficiency going inside 50, that never happens. We smashed them in clearances (third quarter we fell away) and inside 50s but we really had to work hard for any score unlike them.

Then we're down to one on the bench for the last quarter which makes it hard, and doesn't help with Collingwood off a 5 day break. So a bit of a shitshow really. If Shiels has a concussion he might not be allowed to play under the new concussion rules.

But as bad as it was I think we take 3-2 given the fixture and awful umpiring we've copped.

AFL could easily fix the HTB rule. If you get tackled & don't either kick or handball the ball & it comes out, it's a free kick. If you hold on to it when tackled then if you have an arm free that is judged as prior, if not its a ball up.

This will mean players will try to get rid of it in the tackle but if they do hold it then they can be pinged for holding the ball if they have an arm free to kick it. This gets rid of the ridiculous grey area that is currently there.
I think they got it right FOR GWS ONLY. Somehow they kept missing ours. Cheats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back