Podcast Round 5, 2020 - I'm A Big Loser

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 was yet another letdown for the West Coast Eagles, so HoneyBadger35 and MrKK are tasked with unpacking the defeat, solving the AFL's legitimacy problem in an interrupted season and predicting if Round 5 will be kinder to the club.

Link
iTunes
RSS
Previous Episodes

We've joined Twitter! Follow us at @WCEBFPod, or send us your rating and review on iTunes!

Great pod again guys.

Gill is not buying into the comparisons with V'Landys and the NRL response to Covid-19, understandably so. However, he will be loathed to vacate the season and prime time TV when the NRL is, so far, operating smoothly.

Who would have thought that the NRL players would be better discipline themselves than the AFL equivalents? We'll see if that is maintained for the whole season.

Interesting discussion re Brander’s minutes on the “red wing”. He’s improved over the last few weeks in that role but it still seems like we’re trying to fit a square peg in a round hole there. If he doesn’t have the tank to play the role all game, he’s not great with the ground ball and his disposal is iffy then why exactly is he playing that position? (Other than the fact that there was a vacancy and the club wants to get games into him somehow).

If the club was to scrap that experiment, what about trying Cripps there? He’s always spoken about as one of the best runners at the club alongside Gaff (and preciously Masten), and he’s providing bugger all in the forward line this year - zero goals and not too many tackles.

Interesting discussion re Brander’s minutes on the “red wing”. He’s improved over the last few weeks in that role but it still seems like we’re trying to fit a square peg in a round hole there. If he doesn’t have the tank to play the role all game, he’s not great with the ground ball and his disposal is iffy then why exactly is he playing that position? (Other than the fact that there was a vacancy and the club wants to get games into him somehow).

If the club was to scrap that experiment, what about trying Cripps there? He’s always spoken about as one of the best runners at the club alongside Gaff (and preciously Masten), and he’s providing bugger all in the forward line this year - zero goals and not too many tackles.

I’m wondering whether it’s time to scrap the role altogether. I don’t mind the Cripps shout due to his immense tank and link up capability (2020 games need not apply), but I wonder if Masten and that wing was the perfect combo of ridiculous gut runner and right place right time. Maybe we just can’t replicate it and the game plan needs to evolve.

I believe Dylan82 was a big proponent of scrapping the role even at the start of 2019. I was a fan of it, you obviously know I’ve defended Masten over recent seasons, but maybe it’s time to move on.

If we don’t have somebody who can hold it down, let’s reassess whether having one (now two) of your 22 players playing an entirely sacrificial role is beneficial to us. Hard to argue it’s helping us right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back