Review Round 5, 2020 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane had similar cultural issues, and then threw the kitchen sink at Hodge to get him to come over for a couple of seasons in the twilight of his career. Not to play at a high level, but to sort out the culture of the playing group. It looks like an incredibly astute investment at the moment.

well I’ve been bleating about leadership and composure since 2015 but when the common players are brought up the old firm on here get angry.

I never really got the implied heresy on dual captaincy last year when it’s always been about getting the right leaders in the first place.

it wasn’t desirable, however the team would have learnt a lot of lessons (I hope). Let’s make an extreme assessment after 2 more games and performance.
In theory this is a fair point, we're top and maybe this is the loss we finally learn from.........

BUT

We've been blown out by Brisbane in the exact same way the last 3 times we've played them.

Rnd 3 - 2019 - 4 goals to zip, 12 mins in. Then when leading in the last gave up 4 goals in 10 mins to lose it.
Rnd 17 - 2019 - 4 goals to zip after 8 mins, 7 goals to zip after 22 mins.
Rnd 5 - 2020 - 5 goals to zip in 11 mins to start the 2nd term. 3 goals to zip in 2:30 to start the 3rd and effectively end the contest.

This isn't a reaction amongst the supporter base that is irrational, unjustified, or based on 1 poor game. This is a reaction based upon a clear consistent trend. We have clearly learnt nothing and failed to adjust our team balance and gameplan.

Brisbane walked it out of our forward 50 all night with insane ease. They worked harder to get on the outside and provide options, they played in front and destroyed us in the air, they beat us with their vigour and speed around the clearance, we were incredibly reactive and they just attacked. Worst of all our defence didn't give a whimper, it wasn't a matter of fast entries killing us, it was that no matter what entry came in our defenders couldn't even half a contest, we may have spoiled but we weren't there for the crumbs, and we kept chasing guernseys allowing them to dictate and create countless easy opportunities.

It was seriously a disasterous performance on every level.

The scoreboard this weekend was beyond flattering thanks to Brisbane taking their foot off the pedal in the 3rd. It was a complete and utter demolition and follows a consistent concerning trend and as a supporter base we should be extremely worried that we know it is proven that we DO NOT learn, and that we have NOT improved.

Round 5 Report Card: Two flag contenders emerge as the AFL’s biggest tease flops yet again

PORT ADELAIDE
That was a reality check for the previously undefeated Power, who managed just six goals against a red-hot Lions during a 37-point defeat. While the Power are still well entrenched inside the top four, the loss exposed some vulnerabilities for Ken Hinkley’s men, particularly around the ball, as well as the fact that imposing forward line can be stopped. It was an off night, but they can’t afford too many more of them.
In the votes
On a disappointing night for the Power, young gun Zak Butters produced one of the best games of his short career to date, booting two goals from 18 disposals and seven score involvements. You could argue only Butters, Travis Boak (26 disposals) and Dan Houston (21 disposals) were the Power’s only four-quarter performers for the night.
Room for improvement
Much of the focus will be on Charlie Dixon - and, to a certain extent, rightly so, considering the Coleman Medal leader was held goalless from six disposals by Lions star Harris Andrews. But the Power overall were beaten up around the ball (-13 contested possessions), which led to a significant inside 50 differential (-13) against them. Robbie Gray, Hamish Hartlett, Justin Westhoff and Scott Lycett were all well below their usual outputs

You might not agree with his methods and he sometimes pulls the wrong rein, but he’s not wrong, and at the end of the day you both want the same thing.
So you are saying "the end justifies the means"? I can't agree. I want Ken out as coach as much as the next poster, but I detest a post that uses deceit and lies to create a false illusion.

Three selective screen grabs does not a truth make! Poor effort, and poor defence!

So you are saying "the end justifies the means"? I can't agree. I want Ken out as coach as much as the next poster, but I detest a post that uses deceit and lies to create a false illusion.

Three selective screen grabs does not a truth make! Poor effort, and poor defence!

I mean, it’s not the first time Ken has been caught having a right chuckle after a terrible performance.

B7FBA8BD-7720-4AD1-BD31-45C90C5D02D7.jpeg

In theory this is a fair point, we're top and maybe this is the loss we finally learn from.........

BUT

We've been blown out by Brisbane in the exact same way the last 3 times we've played them.

Rnd 3 - 2019 - 4 goals to zip, 12 mins in. Then when leading in the last gave up 4 goals in 10 mins to lose it.
Rnd 17 - 2019 - 4 goals to zip after 8 mins, 7 goals to zip after 22 mins.
Rnd 5 - 2020 - 5 goals to zip in 11 mins to start the 2nd term. 3 goals to zip in 2:30 to start the 3rd and effectively end the contest.

This isn't a reaction amongst the supporter base that is irrational, unjustified, or based on 1 poor game. This is a reaction based upon a clear consistent trend. We have clearly learnt nothing and failed to adjust our team balance and gameplan.

Brisbane walked it out of our forward 50 all night with insane ease. They worked harder to get on the outside and provide options, they played in front and destroyed us in the air, they beat us with their vigour and speed around the clearance, we were incredibly reactive and they just attacked. Worst of all our defence didn't give a whimper, it wasn't a matter of fast entries killing us, it was that no matter what entry came in our defenders couldn't even half a contest, we may have spoiled but we weren't there for the crumbs, and we kept chasing guernseys allowing them to dictate and create countless easy opportunities.

It was seriously a disasterous performance on every level.

The scoreboard this weekend was beyond flattering thanks to Brisbane taking their foot off the pedal in the 3rd. It was a complete and utter demolition and follows a consistent concerning trend and as a supporter base we should be extremely worried that we know it is proven that we DO NOT learn, and that we have NOT improved.
Nice post. Nailed a lot of concerns from the game and recent encounters against Brisbane. That was the sort of performance we’ve seen a few times since the start of 2019, often when we had been in good form the previous week. Makes me think this year won’t be much of an improvement afterall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 5 Report Card: Two flag contenders emerge as the AFL’s biggest tease flops yet again

An embarrassing attempt at a reporting. Port at the end of a month in a hub have flopped against a side that has gotten to play 4 games in a row at home. But Brisbane's uncompetitive first round against Hawthorn was just a blip on the radar.

Nevermind the pumping up of Brisbane, who prior to this week have only beaten the same sides as Port in less convincing results. So Port has beaten no one good, but Brisbane are flag contenders because they've beaten Port and no one good.

Who are the second contenders? Essendon? The team that struggled to beat Freo and the Swans? Maybe its Geelong because they managed to beat the Suns down in Geelong. Lets just ignore the pathetic capitulation to Carlton though hey?

An embarrassing attempt at a reporting. Port at the end of a month in a hub have flopped against a side that has gotten to play 4 games in a row at home. But Brisbane's uncompetitive first round against Hawthorn was just a blip on the radar.

Nevermind the pumping up of Brisbane, who prior to this week have only beaten the same sides as Port in less convincing results. So Port has beaten no one good, but Brisbane are flag contenders because they've beaten Port and no one good.

Who are the second contenders? Essendon? The team that struggled to beat Freo and the Swans? Maybe its Geelong because they managed to beat the Suns down in Geelong. Lets just ignore the pathetic capitulation to Carlton though hey?
Your argument is ok for this season in isolation.

PORT ADELAIDE
That was a reality check for the previously undefeated Power, who managed just six goals against a red-hot Lions during a 37-point defeat. While the Power are still well entrenched inside the top four, the loss exposed some vulnerabilities for Ken Hinkley’s men, particularly around the ball, as well as the fact that imposing forward line can be stopped. It was an off night, but they can’t afford too many more of them.
In the votes
On a disappointing night for the Power, young gun Zak Butters produced one of the best games of his short career to date, booting two goals from 18 disposals and seven score involvements. You could argue only Butters, Travis Boak (26 disposals) and Dan Houston (21 disposals) were the Power’s only four-quarter performers for the night.
Room for improvement
Much of the focus will be on Charlie Dixon - and, to a certain extent, rightly so, considering the Coleman Medal leader was held goalless from six disposals by Lions star Harris Andrews. But the Power overall were beaten up around the ball (-13 contested possessions), which led to a significant inside 50 differential (-13) against them. Robbie Gray, Hamish Hartlett, Justin Westhoff and Scott Lycett were all well below their usual outputs

Wow, with wines, Rocliff, Boak and at times SPP running through the middle and we get beaten up around the ball. Telling signs.

Fantastic. The more negative press about us as a team and our players individually, the better. We’re much better off when we have something to prove and expectations are low.

This is true but it's such an unsustainable way to run a ball club.

This is true but it's such an unsustainable way to run a ball club.
And a very unhappy way for supporters to have to follow our club. I crave the good news stories about us - we go four weeks winning, and still struggle for any positive media exposure. As soon as someone like Nick Dal Santo talks us up, David King reminds him that we have a long-standing history of being a big tease. The next week, we serve up trash in a game billed as a block-buster.

Praise Rozee - goes missing for three weeks.
Praise Dixon - goes goalless.
Praise Marshall - has one possession to half-time.
Praise our miserly defence - haemorrhage marks and goals galore.

We are so bloody predictably unreliable. If only we could win with the consistent monotony of pre-2005 Port Adelaide.

I’ll give the younger guys a pass. Dixon, since he’s been with us, is a microcosm of the team. Tease. Defence is unconvincing. We’ve leaked goals easily for long time. You need a Wakelin, Cornes, Phillips type which we haven’t had for a long time.

Champion Data tables.

Expected score 67, actual 48. That first quarter. The more things change ....... Brisbane were 104 v actual 84. They stuffed up after the game was over after half time.

Brisbane kicked 3.0 from 4 frees inside 50, we kicked 1 pt from our 1 free inside 50, Robbie in the 3rd quarter.

Marks inside 50 - we took 4 and kicked 3.1 from them but took 3 of them late in 3rd + early in 4th.

Brisbane took 12 marks I50 and kicked and kicked 3.7. Hipwood took 4 marks I50, kicked 1.2 and shanked one that didn't make the distance from 35m out.

1594180157105.png

1594180201238.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back