Review Round 5, 2020 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Embarrassing for Port

Embarrassing for the Afl

imagine spending all week bleating on about how you were going to referee holding the ball to then unleash that shitfest.

I’ve never seen so much throwing before. Western bulldogs would be gobsmacked.

then for all the talk of the making no genuine attempt will get you pinged time and time again they made no attempt, that early one were a lion flopped on the ball and limply slapped air * me. Then ebert gets pinged for the worst holding the ball call of the season.
that bonner deliberate wasn’t a good look but that happens 10x a game players turn and walk over the line, * he literally had a player push him in the back so you can’t say there wasn’t pressure. gray getting punched in the head. Rayner with the most obvious throw in the sports history

and that ruck special. Why is only port that gets those 1 in a million calls. You want see that happen again this season.

Brisbane won that game with 1 good Qtr of play and 4 qtrs of umpiring

We'll learn more about this performance after next week's game. Can chalk it up to an off night and that's entirely acceptable but we'd want to respond strongly against a side that has owned us in the last few years.

The umpiring was comical but didn't change the outcome.

How good was Brisbane's pressure. Fagan can seriously coach...he shut down all our run out of defence.

Butters was great. Houston's best game of the year. Boak was good.

Bonner needs to go. He's just not good enough. Soft.
Rockliff is just not needed.
I like Clurey but he was horrible tonight.
Ollie was ineffectual
Westhoff stunk.
Hated most of Powell Peppers game.
Robbie needs to pull his finger out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters is the only player who deserves to milk his breakfast tomorrow. All the other players can hang their heads in shame and eat their Weetbix dry.

He was the only player with heart today. He played like he could skin two cats at once.

fu** Ken Hinkley. Sack Ken Hinkley.

Travis Boak and Zak Butters

1 goal 6 in the first quarter was the game. Kick better then and get a bit of a lead, so Brisbane still run all over us in the second? Probably not.
But we were smashed in the midfield tonight. Martin beat Lycett and it felt like they dominated the clearances which led to quick goals.
Playing to a different set of rules to the opposition. also doesn’t help.

I only have one question regarding that performance. What does Ken Hinkley do during the week? I only ask because Chris Fagan clearly figured out that if we don't kick a score, we can't win. So he double teamed Dixon or put a man in front of him. And what did we do? We kept kicking to the same spot. He also figured out that if Dixon doesn't mark, we stream forward and chain 1-2 handballs before quickly transitioning with a kick, or a shot on goal. So they beat us to the footy in our F50. Over, and over, and over. And all of our pressure forwards and mids were stuck in no-mans land, we couldn't pressure the kick, and we couldn't stop their marking target (******* McStay will give me nightmares).

I also have a statement, one that has been apparent since 2015: Ken Hinkley is incapable of implementing a Plan B mid-game. At quarter time today it should have been clear that we needed to go full defensive at every stoppage, and adapt our inside 50s. Did we? No.

I read a lot of anger being directed Tom Clurey's way in game, but it isn't Cluzza's fault. Clurey, Jonas, and McKenzie are all third talls. Ideally they float off the third or smallest KPF, and impact other contests or intercept mark. We lack a tall gorilla capable of stopping a Hipwood, and it's not Clurey's fault that was his job tonight.

The only change we should make is to add speed to our midfield mix. No idea where that comes from, maybe give Butters and Rozee more minutes? If we see a key forward dropped I will spew. Edit: I lie. Bonner out.

Boak was immense. Butters so smooth. Hartlett, Ebert, Charlie, Houston, DBJ, Amon all tried.

Last edited:
It's alright, I thought we would've lost by more after that second quarter. Next time we verse them hopefully we get the home advantage and can win in the game that matters. I still think we're going to be a good side this year.

Won't be popular around here..... But we're not far off it.

They were hacking out of the air and finding blokes on the chest 30 out.

They weren't far from their best, that'd be close to our worst.
Im with you. We were putrid. Midfield aside from Boak where were you?
Our tackles were soft, Lycett smashed 10
Times over. Cluery woeful.

the umps diabolical and allow Brisbane to handball all night, far out. We were to player conscious in the middle of the game and our poor kicking early killed our momentum.

wines were are thou?

rockliff were are thou?

Boak, Butters and Farrell take a bow.

same here i had hope we had turned it around and then tonight same old same were winning fk all with this lot

Our rebuild isn't even close to done.

People actually think that this is a rebuild?

There isn't going to be a rebuild until the coaches box is cleaned out along with head office, where ever the * that bald headed prick Koch bases him self out of.
Hopefully, when at least Hinkley is gone, the next coach finds enough talent on the list to not need to do a rebuild but only some adjustments like moving out the dead wood and over rated over hyped s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back