Review Round 5, 2020 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I quote: "It's no surprise to play Brisbane at the Gabba and get on the end of a bit of a whack".
Well, it's certainly no surprise to me, having watched the same sort of rubbish for years now. But it would be nice if the senior coach didn't give off such a whiff of meek acceptance after a performance like that.
Be nice if he said they expected to win and were surprised they "didn't". Such loser mentality. "no surprise" please ken just *off back to the bush you loser.. we can't have that mentality within our club anymore. This is why we'll never win anything under him or even make finals this year.

Chocco, jack , Fos would never speak like that

If he's here next year I won't be watching us.

Last edited:
Lol he turned chicken the second he was asked about the club he supported too before running away.

Guessing I wont be added to the next one haha
I shouldn't of bit back.

Pretty sure he was banned for life.

Imagine creating a burner account to do that in round 5.

Probably the same guy that sent gay pr0n after we lost a practice match.

Sad state of affairs at that franchise.

A midfield of boak wines Rocky is to slow. The mids have looked worse since Ollie's return. He or rocky need to go, can't go in with both.
Forward entries were shocking. Bomb bomb bomb
Bonner and Farrell are easy outs.
Motion goes missing to often.
Boak houston n butters played well
I'd persist with spp
Lycett was smashed tonight
Robbie is struggling big time

Overall the word that comes to me is vigour. Generally they played with way more vigour. It showed up in the way they broke our tackles, the way we tackled, the way they tackled us and we couldn’t break away.
Our defence doesn’t cope well when our midfield is trounced. It’s been a problem for a while. It’s not only when there is a difference in size like tonight. Against good sides we don’t have the ability to absorb the pressure like a contender should.
What also doesn’t seem to happen against good sides with momentum is a couple of leaders standing up to wrestle it back. Jonas has been ok but under the pressure of the second and third quarters, he resorted to his usual panic hacking of the ball out of defence, Westoff double fists when he should be marking, Charlie starts running under the ball or missing set shots and it all starts to unravel a bit like it usually does.
After a 4-0 start to the season, any goodwill gained with disenchanted supporters of the past few years was pretty much lost in two qtrs of football.
This team needs to strike back hard this week. How they perform will be telling on our season and supporters.

And I know it's minor but why were we wearing our clash guernsey tonight? Never before have we worn a clash guernsey against Brisbane. Weird.

And if the silver was non-negotiable for whatever reason, why not black shorts which would’ve been a really strong look?

‘black clashes with maroon on black & white television’

- Steve Hocking, probably

Apart from his first game back (where the wet conditions suited him down to the ground), Wines has had minimal impact in the centre for us (one decent quarter here and there isn't good enough).

Not convinced he makes us a better side - and with he and Rocky in there together, we're just too slow.

It’d be easy to say that’s the win we needed to have, the boys will learn not to get ahead of themselves for the rest of the year.

The problem is this happens every ******* year under Hinkley. We string some good form together, usually against sub par opposition, then absolutely capitulate in spectacular fashion.

Oh but there’s no shame in getting whacked by Brisbane in Brisbane. Which is all well and good if we want to continue our run of mediocrity and middle of the road bullshit that Ken is now infamous for. There is always shame in losing. It shows we were not good enough and that should be completely unacceptable at the Port Adelaide Football Club at all times.

We desperately lack a genuinely tall defender, and it will cost us more than just this game throughout the year. Brisbane exposed that. Replace Mckenzie with a quality 197cm defender at the end of the year and we become a genuine premiership threa

Bonner needs to go, indefinitely. Farrell is just not good enough for this level and I think it’s time to accept that and move on. Westhoff needs to seriously start considering retiring, I think I’d rather have Ladhams getting games in his spot.

i hope the players get absolutely flogged on the track when they return to Alberton. Everyone bar Butters and Boak was disappointing tonight.

I cant sleep, that was a reality check.

Kennys off season of giving away picks for Rockliff, Watts, McKenzie, Trengove etc ended up clogging the list to take a shot at more young talent that would be in prime right now. Thankfully he got the order from someone with Butters Duursma and Rozee 2 years ago.

Because of those short term decisions, Brisbane is a good 12-24 months in front of us

Note- Gray is gone. he is 32 and has lost his step and you do not get that back

It’d be easy to say that’s the win we needed to have, the boys will learn not to get ahead of themselves for the rest of the year.

The problem is this happens every ******* year under Hinkley. We string some good form together, usually against sub par opposition, then absolutely capitulate in spectacular fashion.

Oh but there’s no shame in getting whacked by Brisbane in Brisbane. Which is all well and good if we want to continue our run of mediocrity and middle of the road bullshit that Ken is now infamous for. There is always shame in losing. It shows we were not good enough and that should be completely unacceptable at the Port Adelaide Football Club at all times.

We desperately lack a genuinely tall defender, and it will cost us more than just this game throughout the year. Brisbane exposed that. Replace Mckenzie with a quality 197cm defender at the end of the year and we become a genuine premiership threa

Bonner needs to go, indefinitely. Farrell is just not good enough for this level and I think it’s time to accept that and move on. Westhoff needs to seriously start considering retiring, I think I’d rather have Ladhams getting games in his spot.

i hope the players get absolutely flogged on the track when they return to Alberton. Everyone bar Butters and Boak was disappointing tonight.
That was Dougal. 6-5 and quick off the mark. He got traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how Dixon goes from outmarking Talia and Barass to getting outbodied by a way worse defender in Andrews
Don't recall him out marking Talia at all. Two of his three goals came from getting separation from Talia. And Barass isn't in the same league as Andrews and Talia. And Andrews is a very good defender.

And he also wasn't outbodied by Andrews. He spoiled by Andrews reach.

Like no doubt many I wasn't surprised we lost, but once again it was the nature of the loss that gave me the Edgar Britts, all we do is change the dates on the calendar again and again ad infinitum while the formula remains the same, ie the oppo midfield gets on top, our undersized defence folds under the pressure and usually that only takes little more than a qtr, and then any entries into our own forward line lack any real system resulting in our power forward moving 100 metres up the field looking for a kick.

Fairly, or unfairly I am going to name two blokes from that defence who are simply not tall enough or good enough for the roles they play.

1. Tom Clurey - he is having an absolute Barry Crocker of a season, and in my opinion has not had even one half decent qtr in the 5 games played so far.
He started his footy career in this state in the glenelg magoos, and that is exactly what he looks like now, a sanfl magoo's player trying to play AFL.

2. Tom Jonas - we all know TJ is a battler and a trier, but I can't recall a lower skilled player ever being a captain of the PAFC in my many years of supporting the club.
He can't kick, he can't take the type of mark required by the skipper and number one defender to stop the oppo dead in their tracks, and he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night.
I too switched channels at half time but regularly checked the scores, and too often Jonas looked like a broken down square gaiter at globe derby who was tailed off behind the field, he was either jogging along 5 - 10 metres behind his opponent, or handing out little cheap shots when the ball was out of play.

The above two blokes are obviously not the only reason for last night's poor effort, but I have little doubt they will continue to come up in discussions in our losses simply because in a genuine finals line up both are 3rd tall `stoppers' at best, and we aint winning anything worthwhile while they are seen as `key' defenders.

I think it may be time for Jack Watts to get a gig in the key outer defensive role so we can at least see what he has too offer, and obviously Burton has to come back into the team to distribute the ball.

The only two real positives for me from last night's game were Boaky, who should have never had the captaincy taken away, and Zak Butters, who is built like a school boy but goes in harder than many blokes twice his size!

Nothing has changed. During the 2nd quarter getting schooled at clearances we persisted with "dads army" paced midfielders. Btw, that would have to be the biggest pasting we have endured in ruck since Lobbe days. Lycett was unceremoniously thrashed. Rocky and Wines were training cones, that unfortunately, were not orange, to place some defensive pressure. Down back, we lacked an intercept mark or tall defender, and leave Westhoff floating up the ground ineffectual. Clurey must have been seeking a 2020 version of Ollie's worst game of last year against Collingwood. But then again, Bonner perhaps pipped him. Why Jonas taking kick outs after point and kindly kicking the ball straight down middle with 20 secs to go, resulting in Brisbane goal. But my point, ken has nothing. Sat their perplexed and brought out the trusty "work harder" during half time interview. I bet he ignored any advice from Monts or Schoey during the heat of quarter 2. Wait to see the selection debacles start now...

What we need to do:
1. Find a solution for tall opposition forward lines fast. Watts should get a chance. Westhoff won't score against good opposition, play him as defensive wing, with intercept top of mind
2. Rocky and Ollie in same team does not work. Get midfield time into young talent while Ken is coach.
3. Sack ken
4. Drop Bonner
5. Show the whole squad Butters game and explain that is the commitment we want
6. Play Georgiades
7. Give Gray a few more games as he deserves some patience. But gee, he looks well past his best
8. Too reliant on Lycett. He is a good solid ruck at best. But we need to consider Hayes and Ladhams as upgrades in long term.

Brisbane are good team, but we made em look like royalty as did the umps and commentators.

We played s**t for a half, they played great all game, umpiring mistakes/bias gave them 4 goals and cost us what should have been at least 2 gettable shots on goal. So it should have been a draw with them at their best on their home ground and us playing awful for a half. And this is the team that finished equal top last year, is much hyped this year, and has been playing at home for 4 weeks in a row. Glass is half full.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Neale made an observation about "moving their skinny side wing at quarter time" but what they really did was even up the numbers around stoppage at the middle?

Why the * were our mids so poor for a quarter in an even contest? I'm looking at Lycett, Rocky and Wines as they spend the most time there (and Boak, but he was good).

Brisbane simply outworked us we looked a little flat. We have been good so far but I think a down game was always going to happen just like it has with all the other 17 clubs already in this tough year. Bonner farrel and rocky to go. Really missed dursmas and burton skills hope they are back soon. Looking at a lot of the other sides this year and the lack of interest by some Melb clubs I think our position this year will be 4th or 5th so it will be interesting to see how we play in finals but we certainly aren't minor premier material.

Since 2007 haven’t been able to trust Port. Never know what side will turn up. Want to go back to not caring about the season because it’s better than this pretender bullshit Hinkley and his players serve up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back