Review Round 5, 2021: Box Hill v North Melbourne, Sunday 16th May @ 12:05pm, BHCO

To me it suggests he is a limited footballer.

Limited like Brett Kirk or limited like Cameron Ling - taggers became unpopular with the likes of Crowley but a good tagger really makes a difference (Sam Mitchell struggled against Ling) Right now there are some absolute gun players in the comp - Martin, Fyfe, Danger and The Bont - A player who can curtail the matchwinning capabilities of these champions isn't limited.

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Limited like Brett Kirk or limited like Cameron Ling - taggers became unpopular with the likes of Crowley but a good tagger really makes a difference (Sam Mitchell struggled against Ling) Right now there are some absolute gun players in the comp - Martin, Fyfe, Danger and The Bont - A player who can curtail the matchwinning capabilities of these champions isn't limited.
Not 100% sure any of those players started their development as a tagger

And even if finn is limited if he is able to play a role in our football side. It doesnt matter. Its about getting the best out of yourself. If that is not good enough than so be it. More footballers fail than succeed that is the truth and some times a sobering fact for those looking at the kids as some sort of redeeming feature in our team

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Missed the second half. In the first half it was a reasonably hard fought contest. I thought Howe, Morris & Reeves were the most impressive players in that slog. Saunders also promising considering his stage of development. Sounds like the dam wall broke.

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Neither has Finn. But he is not a gifted ball winner. He has athletic attributes. Maybe they can be used to limit others
Sorry I actually thought that his congested ball winning ability was one of his stand out attributes. I have him completely wrong, I wish him all the best in getting the most out of himself and contributing to this team.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Only saw bits and pieces - who did enough to get promoted (noted weak opposition)? Sounds like maybe reeves, Morris, Jeka and howe (although vfl might be his level)? Didn’t see much of greaves but ball didn’t go down back much. Appears Downie, Finn, saunders, pepper need more time or in saunders case more time in gym. Having Finn tag a 1st year player seems a bit strange. Any news on why brockman didn’t play?

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I thought an undermanned North outfit battled hard for the best part of three quarters until they eventually ran out of steam. Importantly they outplayed us around the stoppages for that period of time. However you can only beat the opposition they put on the field and score wise it was a good percentage booster.
Morris made the most of his opportunities and Howe was a level above. Jeka, Maginness and Downie need more time at VFL level from what I have seen of them. Saunders has a long way to go but I liked his game today. Reeves probably deserves a game at AFL level soon as he offers more than Ceglar or Brooksby.
It appears that our best kids are on the injured list (assuming Brockman is), and none are short term answers to our midfield malaise. Let’s hope our recruiters are working hard at the moment.

Missed most of this. How did Greaves play? People want him in each week, but from what I’ve seen this year, a but underwhelming
just a player at the moment. Not really needed at senior level anyway.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Newcombe & Mynot impressed today - hard nosed in & under players , can tackle ....and Newcombe even kicks goals !

Hawk-listed players
Morris played well - even gave a few off despite kicking 5 goals
Saunders - skinny/raw but hunts the footy and worth persevering with
Reeves - natural ruckman ...needs to play Seniors.....soon
Jeka could’ve kicked a bag - kept on presenting, just needs that senior experience and belief and could be a serious forward
Howe dominated...clear BOG...maybe should spend time in the guts at senior level

Others didn’t do a lot - to my eye
O’Brien was his normal quiet self

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Reeves is deceptively agile for such a tall guy, picks up ground balls with ease (among other tricks)

I guess we won’t know his afl potential till he actually plays some AFL.. he’s looking already a long way advanced from a project player.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reeves is deceptively agile for such a tall guy, picks up ground balls with ease (among other tricks)

I guess we won’t know his afl potential till he actually plays some AFL.. he’s looking already a long way advanced from a project player.
I prefer just to keep him in the VFL while we get spanked in the ruck and clearances every week.

Expect Ceglar in next week.

Every team stuffs up free agency trades and draft picks every team. Some do it more than others. Its not a exact science. Those of you drudging up our draft picks and trades do a similar thing with other sides you will find that we have had as a good a strike rate as anyone else. Its an exercise in futility because we will continue to be hit and miss going forward no matter what. Remember that the perventage of players that actually make it is low and they get lower as u start increasing the number of games played. There is really no point

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Downie looks a thousand times better in the middle...
Dunno why we dont put HFC listed players into the thick of things. Howie is never going to make it in the AFL as a mid - or he would have made it by now. Pepper, Morris, Finn, Downie, even Greaves could all play closer to the action. So what if we lose a VFL game.

Nash on a wing is diabolical.

Back