Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3 from 3. What an amazing day for the club and hopefully we're back on track for another good season.

Generally solid effort from a number of players and felt like 19' and 20' Lions had returned.

Lachie BOG for me. 38 touches, 2 goals and 8 clearances. We're a different team when he is fully fit.

Onya Lions and Lionesses!

Just the win we needed. Big % booster. Maybe we should play in the wet more.

No passengers tonight, everyone played pretty well. Even Charlie started to show signs of getting his mojo back late.

Hopefully Jerry and O are fine and just precautionary.

Gave votes to Neale, Rich, McCluggage, McCarthy and Danniher. All were influential especially in the wet. And Danniher big game in what's a tough mental game against his old club

Great to see Neale looking unencumbered.
Linc was absolutely massive.
Midfield was pretty good overall, even though the clearances were lopsided early (but we caught up in the second half anyway).
Joey had a great day, good to see.
Adams I thought had a real good game in defense.

Neale, Rich, Zorko, McCluggage and Lyons were on fire tonight. All 5 got the game going our way. Daniher, Hipwood and McStay worked well together kicking 7 goals between them. McCarthy played his best game of the year and I think our backline looks a lot more solid with Marcus Adams back there and moving well. Great win to go 2-3 and hopefully get our season going.

what a win, and what a day!

The mids were firing.
Zorko looking lively
Neale a really solid game there
Lyons was immense I reckon, near best on
McCluggage also great

McStay in settled a lot, lovely goals too. McCarthy nearly my favourite Lion, great game.

Adams in the back looking super super solid.

I think nearly everyone performed really well. Giving Charles a pass as he looks like he is finally getting out of the slight slump. Ah Chee I quite like up forward more, I don't recall anything too great or bad, but some consistency there and I think will be his best position

Berry Jnr coming in with some zip and fire, nice to see. Hope Berry Snr was more precautionary than anything. Don't rush him back!

Great team performance and % boost considering the early conditions.
Clugg was great to watch in the wet. Thought McStay was great in the first half. How good are linc n neale’s hand in the wet.
Now to find the “on” switch for Charlie in that forwards line. Then we will be a very very difficult proposition. 3/3 🦁’s day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flexibility of having Daniher McStay and Hipwood is yuuuge. All worked well together tonight. I thought Daniher was superb.

Daniher was immense. He perfectly fits into the team when he plays like that. I'm in love.

Neale, Rich, Zorko, McCluggage and Lyons were on fire tonight. All 5 got the game going our way. Daniher, Hipwood and McStay worked well together kicking 7 goals between them. McCarthy played his best game of the year and I think our backline looks a lot more solid with Marcus Adams back there and moving well. Great win to go 2-3 and hopefully get our season going.

Adam’s makes it look solid for incoming ball, and a less solid for the outgoing

I'd give Daniher BOG. He was really good in the ruck and able to contest around the ground very well. McStay being in the team is so big. Fullarton is a long way off it but with Joe going down and contesting the ruck leaving McStay up with Hipwood made our structure so much better. Neale's game is a funny one. Cripple to world beater in 7 days.

The way we lined up tonight was the most structurally balanced team we've put on the park this year.

Obviously Neale ,Lyons , Clug , Daniher and Rich had blinders.

Of the lesser lights I liked the way Prior was able to get off his man and show some offensive skills ,Ah Chee gave us a bit more tackling pressure in the forward line and allowed McCarthy to get up the ground and show he's at least a B Grader. A grader on his night. Adams and Gardiner are both fairly fearsome in defence. For all the talk about our slow backline you wouldn't want to line up on them and if the M/F does its job it's an impressive back half.

Tom Berry put in a nice little contribution as the sub, earned his paycheck. Prior good signs from him too, don't mind a nice goalsneak.

McStay definitely demonstrated his value to the team structure.

Just got back from the game, Hugh McCluggage was superb, such clean hands even in those conditions, IMO in a couple of years he will be one of best few midfielders in the competition.

Fab 5 > McCluggage, Neale, Lyons, Daniher and Rich.

Back