Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lachie Neale -

2202A81A-59A4-4489-8242-164B45B3FC44.gif

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because it was play on, but Bailey had already infringed and it obviously all hadn't processed in the umps mind. I watched the clip on the way home, ump made the right call imo. Unlucky for Bailey. :shrug:

Bailey also didn't remonstrate and knew he had given it away.

I agree, Bailey was moving - ump started calling play on and had noticed Bailey moved off but had to finish the direction - then instantly indicated with his hand there was an infringement. Correct call was made.

Well *that* was a lot more relaxing and satisfying and less frustrating.

I find it easier to just assume the umpiring will be dodgy since a) I am watching our team more than theirs, b) sometimes they are Fisher etc al, c) we don't get the home town bonus that Eagles/Cats etc get, and d) we are Lion's ... so I am happily surprised when we get good calls, shrug off the standard dodginess knowing that we have to play well enough to cover it to win, and save my outrage for the ones that even their own team should be embarrassed by (eg right in front end of Geelong game) or short term grr (eg like Fagan had with that 40 m along the boundary 'deliberate') ... without it following the Lions is more frustration than an enjoyable release.

I love T Berry but he is very raw with ball in hand.
That’s a time to develop problem. Could be his natural game play to take everything on, could be trying to outshine his brother. But if this is the level that he attacks at right now imagine how lethal he’s going to be with a bit of time and senior tier craft under his belt... the day he fends off Dusty with a stiff arm to the sternum and slots a 45m onto a forward’s chest is only a matter of time.

That’s a time to develop problem. Could be his natural game play to take everything on, could be trying to outshine his brother. But if this is the level that he attacks at right now imagine how lethal he’s going to be with a bit of time and senior tier craft under his belt... the day he fends off Dusty with a stiff arm to the sternum and slots a 45m onto a forward’s chest is only a matter of time.

Was about the say the same. It's great to have kids who are showing the intent to take the game on. TBerry and Bailey in particular on our list. If that approach stays intact, when the body matures and catches up they'll be a bull at the gates. Both of them have really good pace to backup their intent so exciting times when it all comes together.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well I was glad after feeling pretty nervous going into this that in the end we less from start to finish and won every quarter. What a great display.

Was strange.but I felt they showed the stats around half time and we were like, 4 clearances to 16 or something and was very confused about how we were in front. Maybe I misread the stat, from watching it seemed like we were winning the territory battle but maybe if it's not that wet the dons don't just bomb it forward to rich who just pumps it back into our forward line?

Rich was immense, getting around everywhere and looks in fantastic touch. Had a great season for us already.

Neale seemed to be getting down under packs and that gave us a lot more options. His handballs out of congestion are 👌

Ah Chee I thought did a great job of adding some more pace and defensive chase.our of the front half.

Lyons as someone said his second and third efforts are great. He's not the quickest, so some times his defensive efforts look poor, but he doesn't stop which is impressive. There was a moment of three efforts in the forward line where I think he had three effective tackles that lead to a poor disposal and he was just lying on the ground wrecked after.

I feel that defensively we still tend to be a bit too reactionary. Alot of guys aren't watching to see what the next disposal will be, instead caught ball watching a bit. Not sure if it's a fitness thing or a mental thing, but you will often see a a few essendon players running sideby side with the overlap, and a Brisbane player in the background see the disposal late and then head down to chase. I think it's what makes guys like Coleman such good forward pressure players as they hunt that receiver really well.

Still, forward pressure was up, mids did better at the contest and the defense stepped up.

Considering 4 of essendons goals came from dubious free kicks, it was a very dominant, 4 quarter display.

Excited to watch the replay of this one, but definitely feels like Ah Chee's time down back has primed him to play as a high half forward pressuring the opposition. He had the most pressure acts of our forwards and the third highest for the 22. Manic.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was about the say the same. It's great to have kids who are showing the intent to take the game on. TBerry and Bailey in particular on our list. If that approach stays intact, when the body matures and catches up they'll be a bull at the gates. Both of them have really good pace to backup their intent so exciting times when it all comes together.
I feel Bailey needs a more defined role. He's not too sure when to play inside and tough and when to get wide and run and mixes it up not so well on occasions.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
I
Good win against the bombers and the umpires ! Either the standard of umpiring has fallen thru the floor or we are being targeted , I favour the second option . Why that is buggered if I know but it’s obvious , thought fags was going to explode

ruck depth is our biggest worry O looks fragile at best . Loved the rich game in wet conditions , Lochie was back to his best and mcstay is the missing piece to our puzzle

great day for the club , well done girls also , a win for the ages !
The same fragile Oscar that managed 19 games last year and 21 in 2019??

hardly fragile but okay

For the 50 against Bailey, it actually is quite an unusual one. I've gone back and forth a few times, and now am calling it a bad technical call.

Hooker played on. Both the umpire and Bailey knew he'd played on. Bailey reacted to him clearly playing on in anticipation of the umpires call. This happens about 20 times a game under the new rule, because unless you can hear the umpire(you often cant), you are flat footed against a guy who is already metres sideways.

The umpire did make the call for play on at the same time. However, the rule is that you cant play on until the umpire calls it. Bailey clearly wasn't reacting to the umpires call, so technically the 50 was there.

However, apart from being a stupid rule, the umpire did call play on. It was clear to everyone that he'd played on (or dummied on), and just because the umpire changed his mind a bit, and wanted to take it back when he realised he'd been sold some candy, that's the umpires mistake, not Zac's. So it was a bad call, because it was about the umpire changing his mind on a call, not about Zac's movement.

I hated it, but had far less issue with that than quite a few umpiring howlers last night. We were not twice as ill-disciplined as the dogs last night. It was a reasonable and fair game, and the numbers should have been roughly level. Not 2-to-1 in favour of the dogs. Umpires are really taking it to us at the moment. Hope the club is asking some questions behind closed doors.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
I

The same fragile Oscar that managed 19 games last year and 21 in 2019??

hardly fragile but okay
Heart of a lion don’t get me wrong but wasn’t having to shoulder no1 ruck duties for much longer periods is having an effect . Just look at him after the game , he is playing hurt for sure

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Good article about that 50m penalty.

Someone said earlier here that Bailey looked "resigned" about the decision.

Looking at that footage, he doesn't look too resigned to me.

More like utterly confused and dismayed.

Whatever, it was a total balls up by the ump

Back