Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bar the 3peat grannies, was yesterday the best day in our history? Ressies dominate their first VFL game, the girls win a flag - agin the Crows at home, and then last night?

Love what Joe Daniher brings to us. It shows how much more effective Hippy and Macstay can be playing second fiddle. He is such a massive presence. But best is his adoption of the forward ruck role. Lets big O sit back, or have short stints up forward, and gives Charlie etc. short stints as the main man. Way to unsettle a defensive structure. I expect him to learn his ruck craft and can only improve in this role.

As to the injury concern - if a change makes us a noticably better team, we just have to live with the increased risk - not that I think he is vulnerable.

I feel Bailey needs a more defined role. He's not too sure when to play inside and tough and when to get wide and run and mixes it up not so well on occasions.
Agree. That may be the reason he turns the ball over so frequently. I know he's a popular player (especially after the Cats & Pies games) but he does try to do too much too often and gets caught. Him & J.Berry do it time & time again and it does hurt us when a game is tight. Hopefully experience will help him there.

It was great to see Zorks much more disciplined last night. If he can put in similar types of performances each week, we will be a significantly better side.

Agree. That may be the reason he turns the ball over so frequently. I know he's a popular player (especially after the Cats & Pies games) but he does try to do too much too often and gets caught. Him & J.Berry do it time & time again and it does hurt us when a game is tight. Hopefully experience will help him there.

It was great to see Zorks much more disciplined last night. If he can put in similar types of performances each week, we will be a significantly better side.

Well said. You'd think experience will help them both in that area. I like the idea of Bailey as a utility moving from wing to mid to forward, but it's clearly effecting his game. Long term it may be a big part of his development into a good consistent player - who knows. I trust the coaches there.

Zorkos best Captaincy game.

I haven't watched the replay yet but from being at the game I thought Marcus Adams was very good, fingers crossed he can get an extended injury free run and improve even further.

Eric Hipwood was very good again, has had a tremendous start to the season, he's clunking his marks and seems to have sorted out his set shots, has suddenly become a reliable set shot.

I was one of the proponents for Fullarton to be given a shot at McStay's spot in the team... I've seen enough, Dan is a long way in front of Tom at the moment, barring injury Tom will have to work on his craft in the reserves for the next season or 2.

Bar the 3peat grannies, was yesterday the best day in our history? Ressies dominate their first VFL game, the girls win a flag - agin the Crows at home, and then last night?

Love what Joe Daniher brings to us. It shows how much more effective Hippy and Macstay can be playing second fiddle. He is such a massive presence. But best is his adoption of the forward ruck role. Lets big O sit back, or have short stints up forward, and gives Charlie etc. short stints as the main man. Way to unsettle a defensive structure. I expect him to learn his ruck craft and can only improve in this role.

As to the injury concern - if a change makes us a noticably better team, we just have to live with the increased risk - not that I think he is vulnerable.
Plus your forgetting our commanding victory by Svarc in the gf sprint

If Berry Sr is out next week, I'd be keen to play one of Dev or Matho if we want inside presence - if we want in/out presence, then Eli Smith is our guy. His tackling pressure in the VFL was exceptional - he's starting to impact on the outside and can win his own ball. It's time to unleash Ely!

If Berry Sr is out next week, I'd be keen to play one of Dev or Matho if we want inside presence - if we want in/out presence, then Eli Smith is our guy. His tackling pressure in the VFL was exceptional - he's starting to impact on the outside and can win his own ball. It's time to unleash Ely!
I think Ely got injured?

Coupla hings- the most magnificent running performance by McCluggage ever. Simply tremendous. Stuff that strings the side together. And from the much improved output of the engine room, so it showed.

Now the bad- Birchall is not only shot, but an impediment. Can't afford to carry him. A couple of his "disposals" were a disgrace to a senior footballer. And he is still overweight.

Last- courtesy of Kayo, had a good look at the VFL's yesterday. Apart from the 2 Aboriginal brothers, not a lot to be said. Ballenden was also outstanding, but as always in his case, very bruise free. I took it from the coaching personnel persevering with an obviously labouring Archie Smith that they may have been trying to send him a not-so-subtle message. Ie, toughen the hell up. And he still can't mark for nuts.

If the Big O is injured, now or whenever, we are in trouble. Then again, that's been obvious since whenever.

Last point- how many umpiring howlers will it take before VFL house concedes we have a problem.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coupla hings- the most magnificent running performance by McCluggage ever. Simply tremendous. Stuff that strings the side together. And from the much improved output of the engine room, so it showed.

Now the bad- Birchall is not only shot, but an impediment. Can't afford to carry him. A couple of his "disposals" were a disgrace to a senior footballer. And he is still overweight.

Last- courtesy of Kayo, had a good look at the VFL's yesterday. Apart from the 2 Aboriginal brothers, not a lot to be said. Ballenden was also outstanding, but as always in his case, very bruise free. I took it from the coaching personnel persevering with an obviously labouring Archie Smith that they may have been trying to send him a not-so-subtle message. Ie, toughen the hell up. And he still can't mark for nuts.

If the Big O is injured, now or whenever, we are in trouble. Then again, that's been obvious since whenever.

Last point- how many umpiring howlers will it take before VFL house concedes we have a problem.

Personally in the VFL I thought B Smith and Madden looked up to AFL standard as well. Robertson and E Smith also looked pretty good when they were on the park.

Ballenden I thought was more physical than usual and mixed it up well. Far from bruise free in the game I was watching.

Agree on the umpiring. There have been different sets of rules applied to the teams all year. It has been disgraceful.

We were already the worst ranked side averaging 25 frees against per game, last nights game will only make that stat look worse.
Now averaging close to 27.

I half-heartedly want there to be an objective analysis to see if we're all just whinging and we're supporters of a bunch of flogs, its a conspiracy/surrounded by incompetent umps, or a slightly more realistic middle ground somewhere there.

Read elsewhere and we get arm-chair rides by the umps most weeks. I have given up trying to be objective about it, I just call 'THAT WAS A THROW' and stay happy, knowing I would be better than any of those blind umps out there ;)

good to be watching from a couch

Anyone else watching the coverage on TV clearly hear one of our supporters yell out "Are you trying to be worse than the Geelong umpires!?". Perfect lull in the crowd noise when it happened. Made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Personally in the VFL I thought B Smith and Madden looked up to AFL standard as well. Robertson and E Smith also looked pretty good when they were on the park.

Ballenden I thought was more physical than usual and mixed it up well. Far from bruise free in the game I was watching.

Agree on the umpiring. There have been different sets of rules applied to the teams all year. It has been disgraceful.

Completely agree with those you mentioned. Ballenden was hardly bruise free. In fact, I was surprised to see at least 3 don't argues from him to his opponents. It was the best I can remember seeing him play at any level.

Wonder if the AFL keep a close eye on this or just take the clubs word?

The club has to apply to the AFL's Chief Medical Officer for approval for the player to play.

Anyone else watching the coverage on TV clearly hear one of our supporters yell out "Are you trying to be worse than the Geelong umpires!?". Perfect lull in the crowd noise when it happened. Made me chuckle.

I heard something get yelled and get a lot of laughter even on the TV, but couldn't hear what it was.

I haven't watched the replay yet but from being at the game I thought Marcus Adams was very good, fingers crossed he can get an extended injury free run and improve even further.

Eric Hipwood was very good again, has had a tremendous start to the season, he's clunking his marks and seems to have sorted out his set shots, has suddenly become a reliable set shot.

I was one of the proponents for Fullarton to be given a shot at McStay's spot in the team... I've seen enough, Dan is a long way in front of Tom at the moment, barring injury Tom will have to work on his craft in the reserves for the next season or 2.
Eric appears to have worked out a goal kicking routine - patient, steady, goes way back and has a balanced run up. J Brown anyone ?

Completely agree with those you mentioned. Ballenden was hardly bruise free. In fact, I was surprised to see at least 3 don't argues from him to his opponents. It was the best I can remember seeing him play at any level.
Ballenden seems to be finally realising how big he is.

If we can just quicken him up a little and he can learn to mark consistently over his head we might have something. He didn't shirk it in his Seniors game and I think he's toughening up.

I half-heartedly want there to be an objective analysis to see if we're all just whinging and we're supporters of a bunch of flogs, its a conspiracy/surrounded by incompetent umps, or a slightly more realistic middle ground somewhere there.

Read elsewhere and we get arm-chair rides by the umps most weeks. I have given up trying to be objective about it, I just call 'THAT WAS A THROW' and stay happy, knowing I would be better than any of those blind umps out there ;)

good to be watching from a couch

Every team thinks that they are hardly done by in regards to frees against

We played some real good footy considering the conditions, did not think we would perform that well in the wet.

Two straight weeks with horrible umpiring, last night felt like they were just searching for free kicks the whole game. Props to the players for not letting it get to them though.

Really think that the heavy rain really helped us. We are a bit like the sydney of old. Contested style play. The rain and slippery conditions meant it was hard for the handball chains and it was a more contested style of game. The big test is next week against Carlton on a dry deck. Of course Carlton are getting hammered for work ethic the week before we play them...

Really think that the heavy rain really helped us. We are a bit like the sydney of old. Contested style play. The rain and slippery conditions meant it was hard for the handball chains and it was a more contested style of game. The big test is next week against Carlton on a dry deck. Of course Carlton are getting hammered for work ethic the week before we play them...

I don't see it as that equivocal against a side like Essendon. With our midfield on top and tall forwards creating problems, I think we could have really troubled them on a dry deck.

Back