Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm gunshy of being too agressive in calling bad ump calls against us. That McCarthy hanger to beat Geelong the other year I could swear came off an illegal disposal from McStay > Witherden. A great goal to Christensen also came from a throw from McCluggage I think it was against Eagles a few years back.

As other reasonable posters have pointed out, its not all that bad really. We got some bad calls, and some good ones too. It would generally even itself out. I like the greyness of the decisions instead of something like NFL where its microscopic analysis of a call etc. It at least brings in some emotion when you're invested in your team and we're *obviously* getting shafted by the umps ;)

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A few observations on the umpiring bearing in mind I have only seen the first quarter at this stage.Our game is extremely difficult to umpire and each contested ball situation could lead to a dozen free kicks if the rules were interpreted literally. It has got better. I can recall games many years ago with well over 100 free kicks from a single umpire. The skilll in umpiring is to pay the necessary decisions and not be overly technical.
The way the game is umpired obviously changes. A few year's ago , McStay's mark in the first would have been reversed for hands in the back.
I am not a believer in conspiracy theories but do believe that a couple of our players have had their cards marked. Zorko got whacked in the chops almost in the goal square , play on.I think there is a view that he overacts so no free kick. Later Mitch burst between two Essendon players , eyes on the ball. One got knocked over. "Push in the back ".A highly novel decision considering I couldn't see any push.
The rest I put down to rub of the green or as another poster said, intensity at the contest.

Agree about Zorko and Mitch Robinson free kicks - both poor decisions that seemed based on who they were and not what transpired.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Oscar got a free against for chopping arms that was it for me. Happened over 100 times in the game and they pick that one.

Free kicks should've been a lot more even

When Oscar got a free against for chopping arms that was it for me. Happened over 100 times in the game and they pick that one.

Free kicks should've been a lot more even
For me it was the blatant push in the back from MTW on Starcevich that lead to a Cale Hooker goal.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For me it was the blatant push in the back from MTW on Starcevich that lead to a Cale Hooker goal.
But then again i thought Mcstay pushed the essendon bloke in the back for his first goal. Umpires have so many things to determine in certain decisions now, no wonder they make mistakes, then combining with 3 of them is where you then get different interpretations.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But then again i thought Mcstay pushed the essendon bloke in the back for his first goal. Umpires have so many things to determine in certain decisions now, no wonder they make mistakes, then combining with 3 of them is where you then get different interpretations.

They can put hands in the back to protect the drop zone but can't push the opponent forward.

drapes11

Debutant
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
According to the Essendon supporters (a couple of dads and their kids) I had behind me they clearly got shafted and we had the rub of the green. I could not believe the crap they were talking, I said to my kids their dad should be reported for not teaching them the rules properly. They left not long into the 4th. ;)

Last edited:
May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
According to the Essendon supporters (a couple of dads and their kids) I had behind me they clearly got shafted and we had the rub of the green. I could not believe the crap they were talking, I said to my kids their dad should be reported for not teaching them the rules properly. They left not long into the 4th. ;)
A couple of Dads and their kids , you sure they weren't their Uncles.;)
You know what to do.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, Dans wasn’t a push, MTW one was.
for me I thought Dan's was a push.. and here lies the grey area.
AFL has lots of grey area rules.
Someone get tackled and drops it
It can be either Play on "Ball spilled out" "no prior"
Or free "holding the ball" "incorrect disposal"
You see the same thing 10 times it be a different outcome in most

Dan was just holding his position in a marking contest.
Which he is able to do these days.
With Tippa there was a pushing motion, bent arm to straight arm.

In more recent times, I really can’t remember seeing The Gabba being as water logged as it was on Saturday Night?
Players were Aqua planing.

It does take a massive amount of rain these days to waterlog the Gabba since the redevelopment for the 2000 Olympics. From watching on TV, that's definitely the worst that I've seen it since the late 90s.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Live & from front on I thought the McStay one was a push & we were lucky, straight after they showed the replay from a different angle & I think the umps got it right, Essendon player out of position & McStay held his ground.

Got reamed a few seconds earlier with the non-mark decision to Linc though lol. That's not even an interpretation.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dan was just holding his position in a marking contest.
Which he is able to do these days.
With Tippa there was a pushing motion, bent arm to straight arm.
naked eye I thought push even new rules thought was ever slight.
Hence as said grey. One week that get paid push next not.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching the Access All Areas segment this morning on the AFL website. They did a sportsbet segment on the brownlow, according to their predictor, Neale wouldn't have polled any votes on the weekend.

Good enough for 10 coaches votes though lol.

The one I thought might've been a push was Charlie's late in the game on the Hipwood mark and goal at the start of the fourth quarter when he was hoping the ball would go over the back. They never show a good angle but you definitely see Charlie's arms straightening in the Essendon player's back. It's not impossible the player was already moving forward though.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They can put hands in the back to protect the drop zone but can't push the opponent forward.
Yep i understand the rules and guidelines about holding the ground only. :thumbsu:
ive seen some paid and not paid for identical situations. Basically i am saying who would want to be an umpire in this day and age. Hiding to nothing with so many things to concentrate.
Even the new man on the mark rule, you watch games where players take a mark walks back has not moved off his line (i guarantee not moved off his line)and told to play on within 3 seconds. Other times a players is allowed 8-10 seconds before advised to play on.
For anybody who sees it again have a look at the sydney v gws game with Mccartin's shot after the siren. Watch Greene on the mark. In normal circumstances does that constitute a 50 metre penalty or not with his movements on the mark. ?

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agreed - Zorks and Mitch really get what appears a less than balanced deal from the umps...must be very frustrating for them.
I reckon you can add Toby Greene in that mix as well.

After posting this just read toby greene has received the most free kicks this year. My Bad. Maybe umps have changed the ways with him THIS YEAR.

Last edited:
Back