Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I reckon you can add Toby Greene in that mix as well.
What I don't get is how those three don't but someone like Selwood does it just as much and gets an armchair ride.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just read an interesting stat from saturday night. Out of all the Brisbane lions players that had over 20 possesions Joey Daniher was the highest disposal efficiency out of all of them at 72%.
Wet weather footy. So many blind kicks for territory. And by the stupid definition of efficiency kicks under 40 to a contest that's halved isn't effective

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Love Zorks, but he’s brought that upon himself.

I so disagree with the premise of this argument.

Umpires are there to officiate on the rules, not to make judgments about who may "deserve" a free kick or to have premeditated biases about certain players based on media noise or their own preconceptions.

When you see the sickening protection of players like Selwood it's hard not to be cynical and downright angry.

Then there is the "star" allowance that players get.

Dustin Martin and Jack Reiwoldt are ones that readily spring to mind.

And as much as a like and admire him, the Bont is another umpires' pet who seemingly is allowed forever to dispose of the ball, even when clearly caught holding it.

Chris "pressure point" Judd was another who used to get away with blue murder, sometimes getting spun through 720 degrees in a tackle but still being allowed seemingly forever to get rid of it.

I refuse to accept that most umpires don't have biases on a subconscious or even conscious level.

One exception IMO is Razor Ray .

For all his perceived eccentricities, he is the one umpire who I would trust to have the courage to pay a free kick irrespective of reputation or how close a game is near the death.

There is no way Razor would have squibbed that last minute HTB in our "loss" to Geelong like that other gutless wonder did.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Umpires are there to officiate on the rules, not to make judgments about who may "deserve" a free kick or to have premeditated biases about certain players based on media noise or their own preconceptions.

When you see the sickening protection of players like Selwood it's hard not to be cynical and downright angry.

And as much as a like and admire him, the Bont is another umpires' pet who seemingly is allowed forever to dispose of the ball, even when clearly caught holding it.

Chris "pressure point" Judd was another who used to get away with blue murder, sometimes getting spun through 720 degrees in a tackle but still being allowed seemingly forever to get rid of it.

I refuse to accept that most umpires don't have biases on a subconscious or even conscious level.

For all his perceived eccentricities, he is the one umpire who I would trust to have the courage to pay a free kick irrespective of reputation or how close a game is near the death.

There is no way Razor would have squibbed that last minute HTB in our "loss" to Geelong like that other gutless wonder did.
It's also the teams they're playing for. The Bigger Melbourne clubs get written up ,over analysed, lots of support at the ground. The umps get a little overawed by the star players. Zorko doesn't have the same profile pull. And has form for staging. Selwood stages constantly but everyone knows he's really the most courageous player going etc etc.

It's gone next level this year. We've got a raw deal in most games. And it affected one result. No way Selwood would've copped the 50 Zorko copped that cost us a goal against Geelong.

I think most umps would've paid that last free though . For whatever reason he just lacked the courage to blow the whistle in front of the home crowd.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
It's also the teams they're playing for. The Bigger Melbourne clubs get written up ,over analysed, lots of support at the ground. The umps get a little overawed by the star players. Zorko doesn't have the same profile pull. And has form for staging. Selwood stages constantly but everyone knows he's really the most courageous player going etc etc.

The eulogising of Selwood that goes on in the popular press and media clearly has an affect on the way he is "officiated"

"Oh he's so brave, what a great captains goal, if there's one player I'd want in the trenches with me, it's Joel Selwood; he's dragged his side over the line AGAIN!!!"....."Selwood "buys" another free kick......he's the master at that.............what a clever player he is"

...........he's practically attained war hero status

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
According to the Essendon supporters (a couple of dads and their kids) I had behind me they clearly got shafted and we had the rub of the green. I could not believe the crap they were talking, I said to my kids their dad should be reported for not teaching them the rules properly. They left not long into the 4th. ;)
I love this. Years ago when we were in the cheer squad we used to get stuff thrown on us from the floor above at Docklands every time we played Essendon and there used to be Essendon supporters who would come around to bait the cheer squad. Eventually security would patrol the area every Essendon game to stop this.

I wish I was with you.

Now at the MCG in the Southern stand when you stand up the seats make a 'bang', a sound that is as good as a Mozart concerto when it signifies the opposition supporters realising they have lost and they start to leave. If we kick another goal it is bang, pause, band bang, pause, and then it is like a machine gun. Bang, bang, bang. We all listen for it.

Do the Gabba seats bang?

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Well said Luthor!

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
for me I thought Dan's was a push.. and here lies the grey area.
AFL has lots of grey area rules.
Someone get tackled and drops it
It can be either Play on "Ball spilled out" "no prior"
Or free "holding the ball" "incorrect disposal"
You see the same thing 10 times it be a different outcome in most
You can add holding on to the player without the ball, that one really sucks, as the player with the ball orchestrates it.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FWIW I am also a believer that the umpires often square up lopsided free counts in the last quarter of games. Again happens too much to be a pure co-incidence.

The last two weeks the free counts at 3/4 time have been:

23-10
28-10

Those counts in no way accurately reflect the level of infringing going on in those games to that stage in each.

Absolutely agree with this. Seen it time and time again. The game is over and all of a sudden they are paying free kicks. Often to myself oh
even it up now, it’s all over you goose....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The eulogising of Selwood that goes on in the popular press and media clearly has an affect on the way he is "officiated"

"Oh he's so brave, what a great captains goal, if there's one player I'd want in the trenches with me, it's Joel Selwood; he's dragged his side over the line AGAIN!!!"....."Selwood "buys" another free kick......he's the master at that.............what a clever player he is"

...........he's practically attained war hero status

Some of the media/commentators yes but us fans know him for the cheat that he really is, as Captain Duckwood

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolutely agree with this. Seen it time and time again. The game is over and all of a sudden they are paying free kicks. Often to myself oh
even it up now, it’s all over you goose....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was at Bulldogs game at Ballarat and they paid Lions are couple 50/50 free kicks in last qtr to try and even it up. Guess where we got our free kicks? Back pocket! Thats another thing I don't like - try to even it up late and only pay them in back half so no one is to outraged!

Back