Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ceglar out for Greaves (I know Gawn/Jackson, but a part timer will give us the same output as Ceglar anyway, so I'd rather another mid in to help us hurt them with spread)
TOB out for Jeka (its surely about time to at least give him a chance)
Howe out for Downie/Burgoyne

Brockman stays. He's doing enough, he's the future. Just needs 22 games experience.
Agreed with all you say. I’d also like to add that it’s not just about us improving our spread but how we defend how the opposition spread. I don’t know if I can take too much more of seeing the oppo waltz the ball out soft AF the way they have been. Since when did the HFC condone bruise free footy? SMDH 😡

Not really looking forward to this one. I recon it will get ugly very quickly with the current selection trends.

In...
Greaves, Downie, Reeves, Nash

Out...
Howe (inj), Hartigan, Shiels (managed) Cegs

I wouldn’t mind seeing Mitchell pushed out of the square for a bit to give Scrimshaw a look in there for shits and giggles. If he can get in and under inside 50 like he does everywhere else, guys like Breust and Moore should have a field day.

Downie gets his MCG debut that he missed out on

Reeves gets a look at the best Ruck in the comp.

Howe injured is easy.

Hartigan.... I am not sold here at all

Shiels is the third wheel in a midfield that lacks dynamic players with skill. Tried and true solid player that plays a role

* insert any forward that can jump all day to compete, insert any clunking forward that is actually going to lead, insert Ned Reeves and add Cousins, Morris, Shiels, Burgoyne, Hanrahan.... someone that can have an influence up forward or get the ball forward with class. I don’t really care.

Hardwick Frost CJ

Greaves Hartley Impey

Morrison Scrimshaw Downie

Moore Lewis Mitchell

Brockman TO* Breust

BB Jags Wingard

Worpell Reeves Phillips Nash

Not really looking forward to this one. I recon it will get ugly very quickly with the current selection trends.

In...
Greaves, Downie, Reeves, Nash

Out...
Howe (inj), Hartigan, Shiels (managed) Cegs

I wouldn’t mind seeing Mitchell pushed out of the square for a bit to give Scrimshaw a look in there for shits and giggles. If he can get in and under inside 50 like he does everywhere else, guys like Breust and Moore should have a field day.

Downie gets his MCG debut that he missed out on

Reeves gets a look at the best Ruck in the comp.

Howe injured is easy.

Hartigan.... I am not sold here at all

Shiels is the third wheel in a midfield that lacks dynamic players with skill. Tried and true solid player that plays a role
I have said all preseason I would like to see Shiels moved down back or up fwd performing a role each week. Is definatly in the best 22. I think it's hindering our development with the next gen Cousins,Finn, even Worpel always having Shiels or Silk still in the center square.

I like the logic of trying Scrim in there another idea is Impey he might be the man with Greaves in the side.

Last edited:
Melbourne strong favourites for this match (not hard to see why). However Melbourne have a habit of losing games they shouldn’t. With this plus the realisation that we really can’t play any worse than we did against Freo (didn’t even show in q1), we will win this one.

Howe out. Also think we end the two ruck experiment. Neither are playing well but big boy might thrive in solo role, he has in the past.

kosi needs to earn his spot back. TOB is frustrating but can chop out in ruck and holds his place until kosi takes it from him.

think it’s burgoyne and downie in (reportedly not going great but plays similar role to Howe) for Howe and ceglar.

If Worpel wasn't dropped last week then he definitely isn't be dropped after playing his best* game of the season.

I feel like it's going to be as simple as Burgoyne in for Howe.

Would like to see Cousins as the inclusion however.

* Wasn't great with his skills, however he still had season high touches and tackles and did a superb negating role on their most in-form midfielder.

TOB is the first player to get dropped. There is no defending him.

Footage released of Clarko pushing for O'Brien's inclusion again this week:

anigif_enhanced-32068-1390980461-13.gif

Ive said it in this thread, but I'll say it again. Move Hartley to CHF. He is a monster kick. Our issue is we have noone who can kick the ball from 70m out. It allows teams to set up a shallow defence, and spend less energy getting it back up the field.
We need DEEP entries, which in turn will help our midfield set up defensively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive said it in this thread, but I'll say it again. Move Hartley to CHF. He is a monster kick. Our issue is we have noone who can kick the ball from 70m out. It allows teams to set up a shallow defence, and spend less energy getting it back up the field.
We need DEEP entries, which in turn will help our midfield set up defensively
Can see him being well suited to CHF. He is mobile with a massive kick and can take a grab. Worth a shot. Clarko should be trying everything to improve scoring power, as we look crap forward of center, although the way our mids get it in there, who would want to be a forward in this team.

One of major problems with making so many changes is that we don't have enough A or B grade players so multiple changes just shuffles the deck rather than improves the team. Need Sic, Will, Gunners, a fully firing Breust and Wingard all in to have a skills uplift. We're a long way off.
Yep... The selectors have show a reticence to make wholesale changes. If Howe is injured I can't see more than one or 2 changes..

Lewis looked handy playing up the ground while Jeka has been kicking bags at box hill playing deep - why not try it?
Funny for such a big lad Lewis does actually look a lot better playing that high half forward role.

He seems to go missing for long stretches when plonked down at full forward.

This game has the potential to be a real turning point match. We have done well to stay in games but just aren’t getting the results we want. A win here turns out season around. If we don’t turn up next week though.. demons will be sensing blood in the water and could get messy if we drop our heads. Could be a serious confidence crusher if that happens.

Not sure what the changes will be. I’d say Burgoyne comes back in. I think Hartley should play. Howe probably dislocated his shoulder with the way he looked coming off so he will likely sit out. Does Kozi or Jeka come in? Do we persist with two rucks? Do we see Maginness or Downie get a run this week? I’ve got no idea for team selection this match. I can see anything between 1-4 changes.

I thought our midfield did ok until the last quarter. We aren’t doing well defensively though in the midfield. That’s been really frustrating. Mitchell, O’Meara, Worpel and Shiels have really lowered their colours in that space compared to previous years.

I am seeing a lot of positives every game we play which is great. Moore keeps finding ways to get back into games or at least contribute when things aren’t going his way. I missed Jiath’s run this week but he is looking great still. O’Meara played ok after a strong performance last week. Topped our side for clearances but needs more help there. Mitchell is improving too. Morrison is consistently hitting the scoreboard, as is Brockman. We got our hands on the footy more this week but are really struggling getting it inside 50 and when we do, the execution isn’t great. Our defence really is keeping us in games atm the more I look at it. Lots to work on still which I’m sure the club understand that. We need to raise the intensity and pressure from the first bounce. That’s something that any AFL player can do and I know we can do it. Our effort in games is there but it’s time to channel it more effectively.

it’s 2021. It’s all about fast ball movement and surge mentality. Look at Geelong compared to Sydney. Gotta run and surge to take ground. Kick mark doesn’t work. Now add that to a wet slippery day in Perth and Clarkos team selection is just soo puzzling. Why are we playing 2 ruckman, 3 key defenders AND 2 key forwards? Take a defender out ( Hartigan or Hartley ), take ceglar out, and replace TOB with kosi or jeka. Bring downie in for some pace, and I would seriously look at bringing in Finn for his endurance and work rate through the middle and contested ball winning to help in the clearances. Midfield spread and clearance work is abysmal.

Burgoyne, downie, finn, kosi in for Hartigan, ceglar, obrien and Howe next week please
Surging forward requires you to trust your team mate to win the ball and get it to you. Hard to do when they are super fumbly and can’t make a 2m handball or a 20m kick. We get the basics right and we will look a lot better when we go forward. I think personnel issues are a lessor concern as it seemed to be a team wide mistake-a-thon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back