Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best things about our forward line set up is the fact that our two biggest goal kickers this season have 18 games between them.

One of the biggest concerns in our forward set up this season however is the fact that our two biggest goal kickers this season have 18 games between them.

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Out: Howe (inj), Timmy, Cegs
In: Silk, Kosi and Cousins

Hartley/Lewis to back up McEvoy in the ruck. Stick Hartley a kick behind play when McEvoy rucks so that BB can push forward and try to at least make Gawn a bit accountable.

Forward pressure needs to improve
Worpel was good at slowing down Brayshaw so he should go to Petracca this week.

If we can get our first quarter sorted out we will give ourselves a chance. Melbourne are playing some impressive footy though.

Dimma Hartigan CJ
Impey Frost Scrim
Morrison Mitch Phillips
Bruest Kosi Wingard
Brocky Lewis Nash
McEvoy Jaeger Worpel
Shiels Hartley Cousins Silk

Hodginator

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let me start this post by saying I’m not against dropping TOB, and I was saying last week we should persist with Kosi and wasn’t keen on bringing TOB in.

But how often are we going to shift around our 2 key forwards if we drop TOB this week and bring in Jeka or even bring back Kosi? Need to decide on who the best 2 are and stick with it (Pending injuries)

Round 1: Kosi & TOB
Round 2: Kosi & TOB
Round 3: Kosi & Lewis
Round 4: Lewis & TOB
Round 5? Lewis & Kosi/Jeka?

So that’s potentially 4 different combos over 5 weeks. Lewis was injured the first 2 weeks yeah? So Lewis and Kosi only had the chance to play one game together before we brought TOB back.

If the club think Kosi is more suited to AFL than Jeka at the moment and they’re going to drop TOB, then bring Kosi in and let him and Lewis play a stretch of games together.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You guys are so predictable. 😂

Last week I told you we'd lose against Freo..nah, nah, this is easy.

This week you're all: we're going to lose by 6 goals.

I'm telling you Hawks will win.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
You guys are so predictable. 😂

Last week I told you we'd lose against Freo..nah, nah, this is easy.

This week you're all: we're going to lose by 6 goals.

I'm telling you Hawks will win.
I barely read the preview thread last week but did people really think we were going to win easy?

This current team has no easy wins, every week is a potential loss if we do not play at our best.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I barely read the preview thread last week but did people really think we were going to win easy?

This current team has no easy wins, every week is a potential loss if we do not play at our best.

Well not "easy" but it was expected we'd win given what happened to Freo the previous week.

Even the odds for the Hawks shortened by $0.5 after the previous week. Still Freo were comfortable favorites and rightly so.

We won the last half against Essendon
We lost the last three quarters to the reigning premiers by 8 points
We won the last3 quarters against the cats
We won the last three quarters against Freo.

For the majority of games we are winning. Just letting the game get beyond us early.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

For the majority of games we are winning. Just letting the game get beyond us early.

We look very nervous at start of games. I see it when I go to the ground.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

But ‘winning quarters’ when you’re comfortably behind is fools gold as the other team may take its foot off the gas so it doesn’t really mean you’re equally competitive. I would much prefer us to being overrun in the last quarter after leading when game is hot at the start.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

No we aren't winning the majority of the games, that is just not right. We have "won" 6 of the total 24 quarters we have played, with another being a stalemate.

Technically we won two quarters against Freo - the second and the fourth. The fourth we won by one point, though they kicked 3.6 to our 4.1. Shots for the game: 31 shots to 22.

Against Geelong we won one quarter - the last. 19 shots each for the game.

Against Richmond we won zero quarters. We drew even in the second quarter and lost all the others. 23 shots to 14 for the game.

Against Essendon we won three quarters. Total shots were in their favor 26 to 22.

The responses have been encouraging. Especially given Richmond and Geelong will be two of the top teams this season, and Freo are an up-and-coming team full of young talent.

But in the end all that hard work has equalled a single one point win against a team that we expect to finish below us.

EDIT: and by 24 I meant 16.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
But ‘winning quarters’ when you’re comfortably behind is fools gold as the other team may take its foot off the gas so it doesn’t really mean you’re equally competitive. I would much prefer us to being overrun in the last quarter after leading when game is hot at the start.

We haven't even done that though, see above.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
What makes this game worse is I'll be in the MCC with a couple of people I promised to go with as opposed to my normal level 1 Hawks area, the MCC will be full of Dees fans sensing an ailing Hawks corpse.... going to be a pint express operation in the Bull ring I'm tipping.

Jeka and Downie killing it at VFL level, so possible inclusions and im also keen to see Greaves get more games too.
I wouldn’t say Downie is “killing it”. From last week Mitchell said he was headed in the right direction.

Connor Downie
"A big step in the right direction for Connor as he seemed to become more comfortable at VFL level. He found more of the footy and was able to use it well. The next step for him is to back himself and run with the ball. His assertive positioning and voice will enable him to take the next step as a player."

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
These arsehats have troubled us recently.
It wasn't long ago I loved nothing more than playing them fairly regularly as our season opener as it was a great way to start the year.
Time for normality to be restored and their chardonnay-sipping, suit-wearing, pompous twats of members to be banished into medicroity for another decade.

P.S may have had a s**t one at work ;)

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With May out they're going to struggle somewhat with high balls down back. I wonder if it has a domino effect.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
With May out they're going to struggle somewhat with high balls down back. I wonder if it has a domino effect.

Gawn will do what he always does and sit in the D50 and eat up every high ball that gets bombed in there.

No May will mean Lever will have to be more accountable though. Lewis could beat him on the lead.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
We aren’t doing well defensively though in the midfield.

IMO this right here is our biggest concern and has been for a couple of seasons now. The million dollar question is how do we fix the oppo mids doing this. Is it our ruckman, the way we are setting up or a combo of both?

One thing I do know is I don't how much more I can take of seeing Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Shiels stand flat footed as they waltz the ball in the opposite direction 🤮🤮🤮

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Surging forward requires you to trust your team mate to win the ball and get it to you. Hard to do when they are super fumbly and can’t make a 2m handball or a 20m kick. We get the basics right and we will look a lot better when we go forward. I think personnel issues are a lessor concern as it seemed to be a team wide mistake-a-thon.
It's by hand and by foot too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back