Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our ruck is a shemozzle for this game.

Gawn usually monsters BB in the ruck and now BB has somehow lost the tiny jump he once had so doesn't really jump for marks making it harder 2 play him except that he's captain.

While Ceglar we usually play this game just because of his height but he's so out of form he's unplayable as he's non competitive.

So that leaves Reeves as our only option 2 even have a chance 2 be competitive against Gawn. Yet he hasn't played a game of AFL.

Given Clarko said we are a middle of the road team and therefore should be building for the future I don't see the point of trotting out the same two blokes who when playing well, were beaten badly by Gawn let alone in the abysmal ruck contesting form they are currently.

Giving Reeves a chance to compete at the highest level is our future and against a bloke his same height who's one of the best going around will help him learn more than trotting out the same old duo who ruckwise haven't competed against far lesser players.

N.B: BB has tried around the ground.

If we don't give Jeka a go after kicking bags of 6 and 5 goals in the magoos, when do we ever give him the chance.

Our forward line cannot exactly produce much less scoreboard impact at this rate, so I feel at this point, not much is lost without TOB in the side, considering his abyssmal form.

As a side note, great to see Brockman and Moore stepping up. Both have a habit to go missing for quarters at a time, but to their credit as young blokes, they both have shown some great ability to step up when we really need it.

That all said, my ins and outs would be:

OUT: Ceglar, TOB, Lewis (suspension), Howe (injury)
IN: Reeves, Jeka, Kozi and Burgoyne

I feel like any more changes, with the injuries and suspensions, might hurt rather than hinder.

If we don't give Jeka a go after kicking bags of 6 and 5 goals in the magoos, when do we ever give him the chance.

Our forward line cannot exactly produce much less scoreboard impact at this rate, so I feel at this point, not much is lost without TOB in the side, considering his abyssmal form.

As a side note, great to see Brockman and Moore stepping up. Both have a habit to go missing for quarters at a time, but to their credit as young blokes, they both have shown some great ability to step up when we really need it.

I feel like any more changes, with the injuries and suspensions, might hurt rather than hinder.
Keep in mind they are practice matches. Kosi kicked a bag against north but has barely troubled the scorers since. One of jeka’s bags was against the reserves of the team kosi kicked a bag against. But it certainly is encouraging form regardless and hopefully he does get a chance at some point.

Our ruck is a shemozzle for this game.

Gawn usually monsters BB in the ruck and now BB has somehow lost the tiny jump he once had so doesn't really jump for marks making it harder 2 play him except that he's captain.

While Ceglar we usually play this game just because of his height but he's so out of form he's unplayable as he's non competitive.

So that leaves Reeves as our only option 2 even have a chance 2 be competitive against Gawn. Yet he hasn't played a game of AFL.

Given Clarko said we are a middle of the road team and therefore should be building for the future I don't see the point of trotting out the same two blokes who when playing well, were beaten badly by Gawn let alone in the abysmal ruck contesting form they are currently.

Giving Reeves a chance to compete at the highest level is our future and against a bloke his same height who's one of the best going around will help him learn more than trotting out the same old duo who ruckwise haven't competed against far lesser players.

N.B: BB has tried around the ground.

are you sure he doesn’t jump? I’ve noted he has a couple of times this year - which is unusual

small forward going missing at times? Happens to the best of them

Logic, reason, good thinking and intelligent, rebuilding-oriented selection says Kosi comes back in for Lewis and maybe give Jeka a run for TOB, but given the stupidly irrational levels of patience they have for him and the spell he seems to have over Clarko, Tim will probably keep his spot.

leaving Bruest as the only mature forward?

I'm less pessimistic than others in this thread. I think we'll give them a little shake. Probably still lose, but challenge them.

I'm unsurprised at the first quarter against Dockers. Given that we'd gone back to back against Richmond then Geelong, and we were coming off a 6 day break, I think we did well to fight back in the last three quarters. I'm really linking the fighting spirit.

Really disappointed Lewis is potentially out (is there vision?!). TOB has so many lives that he should be at GFC. Any chance we can trade him down the highway for a future fourth?

So with Lewis out suspended people want to drop Ceglar and have Gawn beat us on his own ?

hes likely to anyway. Not like Cegs is in great form, and Lewis out means we’ve lost a key forward, of which Cegs isn’t one.

we’d be better off getting another runner in and hopebig boy can halve the ruck or at least limit the damage.
Be a good time for our midfield to really stand up. Whilst they’ve been good so far, really having one out of the box would be huge

Just watched afl360. For those that didn't clarko was wrapped with Worpel game on the weekend. Is still very enthusiastic.

Stranger things have happened if we can eradicate our shocking first quarters given teams a 4 goals head start we could surprise.

you’d assume Worpel goes to Oliver,not sure he has the size for Petracca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Hartley, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Jiath, Frost, Impey
W: Morrison, Mitchell, Phillips
HF: Wingard, Nash, Moore
FF: Breust, Jeka, Brockman
Foll: McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels
Int: Worpel, Burgoyne, Cousins, Cegs
Sub: Scrimshaw

Out: Lewis - sus, O'Brien - drop, Howe - inj,(Scrimshaw - sub)
In: Jeka, Nash, Cousins
We need good ball users in the team.

Subbing Scrimshaw for Cousins with that in mind makes little sense.

Just watched afl360. For those that didn't clarko was wrapped with Worpel game on the weekend. Is still very enthusiastic.

Stranger things have happened if we can eradicate our shocking first quarters given teams a 4 goals head start we could surprise.

At this point in time, all I ask for is a competitive effort. Quiet periods in the game and any large losses should be unacceptable. There's still enough talent in the team to push most teams.

So with Lewis out suspended people want to drop Ceglar and have Gawn beat us on his own ?
Has showed zilch up forward. We want to back our captain in to do a fair job and have a mobile fwd compete in the ruck while showing more up fwd.

Keeping out young fwds and midfielders over a older back up ruckman makes less sense to me moving forward as the season continues.

We need good ball users in the team.

Subbing Scrimshaw for Cousins with that in mind makes little sense.
Burgoyne actually. Cousins deserves a shot and I like him as a mid/fwd that could also free up Wingard.

IMO this right here is our biggest concern and has been for a couple of seasons now. The million dollar question is how do we fix the oppo mids doing this. Is it our ruckman, the way we are setting up or a combo of both?

One thing I do know is I don't how much more I can take of seeing Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Shiels stand flat footed as they waltz the ball in the opposite direction 🤮🤮🤮
It just doesn’t seem to be a consistent focus. Games we have played well have all started with pressure in the middle. When that falls away, we do too.
What’s even more frustrating is that our midfield group are capable of excelling in applying pressure. It is just baffling we don’t see it consistently.

From what he said about him in the post-game presser it sounds like Worpel is in his own head a bit trying to improve and perform highly in every key stat to live up to the high expectations set by his PCM win. Which is interesting as it sounds similar to the issue Morrison had (unreasonable self pressure and expectations).

Maybe a few extra sessions with the club psychologists and more singular focused roles like he did on Sunday are what’s needed until he recaptures his mojo.

From what he said about him in the post-game presser it sounds like Worpel is in his own head a bit trying to improve and perform highly in every key stat to live up to the high expectations set by his PCM win. Which is interesting as it sounds similar to the issue Morrison had (unreasonable self pressure and expectations).

Maybe a few extra sessions with the club psychologists and more singular focused roles like he did on Sunday are what’s needed until he recaptures his mojo.
Its understandable, 20 year old wins the B&F during a rebuild phase and struggles with form the following year, meanwhile the team is slipping down the ladder, would feel like youre letting the team and fans down.(Which he's not, we love you Jimmy)

Doesn't help when fans are calling for your head, I wonder how many people realise Cousins is a year older not that i want to compare the two but I've seen a few posters saying both dump worpel, play the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back