Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number 1 priority for me next week above all else is improving our forward 50 entries and speed of transition from backline to forward line.

Untill we can start to kick a decent score we will always be chasing the other teams butt all day.

We are second last on the ladder and have kicked the second least most points, a pretty strong correlation.

I hope we instruct our forwards to lead amd make space and our mids to lower their eyes and honour those leads.
We practice every training session to get better at transitioning the football. Its not like we don't know where we are lacking we have done it all pre-season. It will be a bug bear all season long sometimes it will work well other days it will just go to s**t

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We practice every training session to get better at transitioning the football. Its not like we don't know where we are lacking we have done it all pre-season. It will be a bug bear all season long sometimes it will work well other days it will just go to sh*t
If we have worked at it all pre season it seems unusual that we spent so long transitioning out of our backline with sideways, backwards kicks and very little run.

We had like 70 more possessions than Freo but went inside our forward 50 about 15 less times. That's not great.

I still maintain that our players are scared of taking the game on due to a defense first coaching philosophy they are being instructed in.

I don't care if they try and run it/transition quickly with aggressive ball movement and it doesn't work / ball is turned over. I just want to see the intent.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
If we have worked at it all pre season it seems unusual that we spent so long transitioning out of our backline with sideways, backwards kicks and very little run.

We had like 70 more possessions than Freo but went inside our forward 50 about 15 less times. That's not great.

I still maintain that our players are scared of taking the game on due to a defense first coaching philosophy they are being instructed in.

I don't care if they try and run it/transition quickly with aggressive ball movement and it doesn't work / ball is turned over. I just want to see the intent.

That's the thing that pissed me off about the match the most.

12 more possessions in the first quarter and we had 6 Inside 50s to 19 and 2 scoring shots to 11, pathetic system.

Its always two things personnel, the opposition. The personnel you have determine for instance how successful you are in transitioning their skill level and ability and physical attributes. The opposition will always try and stop you. This is the modern game a successful transition usually ends up in a score. It has never been more important to transition successfully. Ineffective disposal and turnovers bring about doubt in not only the player but his team mates. This is human nature. Some players especially experienced players are able to put it behind them whilest others will be more circumspect and hesitant. They are worried about their place in the side and how they are playing, hard on themselves etc. Its going to happen all season long. On some days our skills will be on for a qtr and a bit and we will look like a million dollars and then we will complain about the reasons why we weren't playing like we did in the 2nd qtr. Its just where we are now.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
0.45 to 0.39.....so neither are killing it.

Would love to see Ceglar's hitouts give us greater advantage than they do currently. That might be down to the connection with the midfield group.

Cegs increasingly seems to be a pretty average and limited footballer. He seems scared of contact at centre bounces and spends more time watching his opponent than where the ball is. He doesn't take a lot of marks, get a lot of disposals nor kick many goals. There was a lot of hype at the start of the year that he was going to have a big one as had an injury free off-season. Very underwhelming 2021 for mine. Another big test this weekend.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Cegs increasingly seems to be a pretty average and limited footballer. He seems scared of contact at centre bounces and spends more time watching his opponent than where the ball is. He doesn't take a lot of marks, get a lot of disposals nor kick many goals. There was a lot of hype at the start of the year that he was going to have a big one as had an injury free off-season. Very underwhelming 2021 for mine. Another big test this weekend.

He'll get utterly embarrassed this Sunday by Gawn.

Dew2KFC2Flag08

Senior List
Oct 12, 2008
Melb, south east suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trail Blazers
I’m happy we’re playing a legit ruck and midfield group. Will be less annoying when we get our asses handed to us again with our 2 ruck system.

Burgoyne for Howe and Kozi for Lewis I think the changes will be.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The club aren’t playing TOB because they’re fingers crossed hopeful it’s all gonna click for him at the ripe old age of late 20 something. They play him because, where our list is at, he’s our most experienced forward, offers something structurally and does enough in contests to give the young guys around him a chance to get their hands on it when it hits the deck.

Let’s be honest, if we were competing and we had the cattle, TOB isn’t getting near this team. It’s a reflection of where our list is at.
So this one seems to be about logic .... Its well known that you cant do the same things the same way using the same tools and expect a different result. It staggers me that most agree that TOB is not the answer, and in my opinion rarely provides a physical contest, while we have three young talls that need developing yet haven't been able to get a decent run at it. Lewis won't get any better playing VFL and simply must be given an extended run in the seniors so that we either pen him in for the next decade or move on. Kosi also needs to be given the opportunity to show his wares, and Jeka needs a taste so he can learn what is required then go back to the seconds to improve on any weakness that will invariably be exposed at the highest level. For me Gunston is captain of the forward line and once he returns we should have Lewis as fixture and take every opportunity to cycle Kosi and Jeka through the seniors against the right opposition .... P.S. I'm not a TOB hater and admire his efforts. But, we need to move forward not backwards.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Darcy kicked his goals as a forward. We won the hit outs and hit outs to advantage.
First goal he was in the ruck and had McEvoy on him and gave McEvoy a shove in the back and took the mark. Darcy was 100% playing ruck. At least one other I saw McEvoy ignore him and Darcy ended up on Hardwick as a ruckman pushing forward. Can’t recall the other shots he had but definitely did some damage from the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back