Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With these changes who would the medical sub be? Need it to not be Brockman but Silk was managed last week and got the sub but couldve been a way to get him to 400 games quicker. Any help would be great!
I’ll text Clarko.

Nash is not the future. He's too dumb of a footballer. Doesn't offer us anything other than a myth that he provides pressure that we can talk about.
Kossie is a potential future player. No issues there.
Hanrahan is not the future. Was drafted as a mid to be a mid. Can read the tap of the ruckman, but doesn't have the tank or work ethic to build a tank so is being turned into a small forward who doesn't apply pressure and doesn't reliably hit the scoreboard.

Meanwhile TOB remain who offers less than nothing. That won't change if he's the backup ruck. Every game he's played this year, Champion Data has him being less effective than the sub. A 27yo with close to 100 games of experience whose influence for his team is less than a player who isn't allowed on the ground. Not a high bar for Jeka to reach. But Jeka scores goals from leads so that's signs he doesn't know the system.
Howe not the future. Poor skilled, slow decision maker and a dumb footballer.
Hartigan is not the future. Slow. Umpires are looking for scraggers and that's what keeps Hartigan in the contests. Useless kick so provides no drive out of the D50. Has to suck in a teammates to handpass to.
Phillips. Hack.
Morrison. Vanilla. He's running more, which is good, but has no hurt factor.

But these players know the dour system, though, and that matters more than being dynamic and intuitive because it's worth more to the coach to lose by 20 despite never looking like winning than playing aggressive and risk losing by 60.

It's why Downie can't get a game. It's why McGuiness is being turned into a tagger. How many other top 30 mids are being turned into taggers? It's why Greaves has to bide his time when he can provide some run. It's why we'll never see Saunders. The gameplan, that every coach knows because it does not change, matters more than anything else.

EDIT: If you're a cultist, please scroll past. I don't care what fantasy world you're living in.

Nash has been our best performed player at Box Hill for about 3 weeks running.

I don't agree with all of the selection decisions, but surely a 22 (?) year old being rewarded through good form is a positive.

Cousins last 18 games 9 goals
Worpel last 19 games 2 goals

Can we put that in context with the roles they've played? Worpel purely inside, where Cousins was given an outside and attacking role that he underperformed in. Cousins has never had more than 10 contested possessions in a game.

In a single season he did, in 2019, when Tom Mitchell missed every game with a broken leg. So he kicked less than all but one regular midfielder who actually played a game that season. Still has only one solitary game of multiple goals.

O'Meara on the other hand is an actual goal kicking mid who has kicked 4 and 3 goals multiple times in a match.
Maybe in his early Gold Coast days but that is now irrelevant. O’Meara is in his 5th season at Hawthorn. He’s kicked 29 goals for the club. He is not a goal kicking midfielder (I’m not saying Cousins is either). The only one we have is Wingard. It’s a major weakness and a symptom of a very ordinary midfield

Maybe in his early Gold Coast days but that is now irrelevant. O’Meara is in his 5th season at Hawthorn. He’s kicked 29 goals for the club. He is not a goal kicking midfielder (I’m not saying Cousins is either). The only one we have is Wingard. It’s a major weakness and a symptom of a very ordinary midfield

In 2018 he kicked a goal in most games and lots of 3 and 4, so no, not just for Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash has been our best performed player at Box Hill for about 3 weeks running.

I don't agree with all of the selection decisions, but surely a 22 (?) year old being rewarded through good form is a positive.
No he hasn't. He's had 1 good game and 1 okay game. But there is a huge difference between being competitive in a VFL practice game and an AFL game.

For a lot of players, the VFL is their limit. Nash is one of those because he can't read the game. He may be quick, but because of his inability to read the game, he's always running reactively and the speed of AFL football will almost always leave him a step behind.

Need we be reminded of Tom Schnieder, Matthew Ball and Mitch Hallahan?

No he hasn't. He's had 1 good game and 1 okay game. But there is a huge difference between being competitive in a VFL practice game and an AFL game.

For a lot of players, the VFL is their limit. Nash is one of those because he can't read the game. He may be quick, but because of his inability to read the game, he's always running reactively and the speed of AFL football will almost always leave him a step behind.

Comical you're calling others a cultist with your attitude towards what constitutes a kid (variable, an older person can be more of a kid than a younger person) and who deserves a chance (older kid over a younger not kid).

Comical you're calling others a cultist with your attitude towards what constitutes a kid (variable, an older person can be more of a kid than a younger person) and who deserves a chance (older kid over a younger not kid).
What did I say about cultists quoting me? Please don't.

Vanilla selections as expected. I don’t know how you don’t reward a bloke who kicks 11 in 2 weeks. Nash wouldn’t kick 11 in a season. Hanrahan not the future either, would rather just be blooding Finn and Downie, we know what Hanrahan brings, and that is someone who is scared of his own shadow.O’Brien staying in doesn’t bother me as much since Ceglar is out. O’Brien on very thin ice though. I actually have more interest in the Box Hill game tomorrow.

But Jeka scores goals from leads so that's signs he doesn't know the system.
So your theory is, we train all week and all preseason with a fast, running game with forwards running to leads, but then somehow after that we have closed door sessions or just verbal instruction to discard all of that and for forwards not to lead?

Clarko said we were going to roll more numbers through the middle, so I don't see an issue with Cousins being in the team with Worpel, O'Meara and Mitchell.

He has usually performed well at AFL level and had a good finish to last season. I would like to see him in there considering he is in good form at VFL level from reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back