Preview Round 5, 2021: Hawthorn v Melbourne MCG 3.20pm Sun 18th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Clarko said we were going to roll more numbers through the middle, so I don't see an issue with Cousins being in the team with Worpel, O'Meara and Mitchell.

He has usually performed well at AFL level and had a good finish to last season. I would like to see him in there considering he is in good form at VFL level from reports.

Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Wingard as staple midfielders - with Cousins, Breust, Phillips and Moore rotating through there.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
No he hasn't. He's had 1 good game and 1 okay game. But there is a huge difference between being competitive in a VFL practice game and an AFL game.

For a lot of players, the VFL is their limit. Nash is one of those because he can't read the game. He may be quick, but because of his inability to read the game, he's always running reactively and the speed of AFL football will almost always leave him a step behind.

Need we be reminded of Tom Schnieder, Matthew Ball and Mitch Hallahan?

Yeah for sure, there's been plenty of duds that can't make the step up ... but again, in a development year, there's nothing more important than rewarding young players who are showing good form.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Yeah for sure, there's been plenty of duds that can't make the step up ... but again, in a development year, there's nothing more important than rewarding young players who are showing good form.

We should be rewarding the young players that are showing good form.

On the same note we should be dropping the old players that continue to show us nothing. The young guys shouldn't be coming in/out for each other when there are others that are more deserving of being dropped IMO.

If you want to be heard don’t be surprised if someone challenges you.
I'm not. It's more so those cultists who think nothing's wrong and all the selections are peach don't waste their time typing out a response because I won't be reading it nor quoting it (with the odd exception where I quote simply to say not to quote me because they're continually quoting me screaming the house isn't on fire because they're not alight.)

There are plenty on here who'll disagree because of differing reasoning, but aren't cultists, and I have no issue with them. e.g. Kenneje

No he hasn't. He's had 1 good game and 1 okay game.
Why lie?

Conor Nash
"Nashy played just a half and was very important for us. He's in a really fine run of form. We really struggled in the third quarter onwards without him, our forward structure lost a lot which showed how important he is to the side."

Conor Nash
"Nash was really good again, he is in a rich vein of form. He is playing good, solid footy. His contested work has improved a lot over the last few weeks. We've been really impressed with his work recently."

Conor Nash
"Nash was outstanding. He kicked two goals and had a hand in another four goals which he could have kicked himself if not for some selfless play in the front half. His ability to work up the ground to create outlets for our defenders as well as his work ethic to get back inside 50 has been really pleasing. He has been a consistent contributor for us."

Conor Nash
"Nashy had a good game this week. He had a bit of a different role this week, it was blowing a gale and it was pretty wet so Nashy was forced to change his game a bit which he did really well. He typically plays a bit of an up-and-down-the-ground style game but this week he played more of a contested game and did that really well. I reckon half of his possessions were contested and from one-on-one wins which was a really good way to put himself on show. His pressure, tackling and physicality were also very good."

Funny how Nash doing that in practice games doesn’t mean anything, but when Greaves, Downie or someone else have 1 or 2 good games and it means that they should be given games at senior level.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those who have been following Box Hill can they please tell me what position Nash has been playing?

I have been a pretty strong Nash critic but given where we are this year I am prepared to give him a decent run of games (say 5 in a row) as one last chance to prove he can make it.

Worpel wasn't playing a defensive role last season. That's something they've given to him over the last two weeks because he's been woefully out of sorts.
I think you will find that he was at different points.

But you need to ask, what does he bring to the side? I've already mentioned the speed, but he has to use it reactively. After that, there' not really much else, which brings us back to the 3 names I mentioned. All top VFL performers, 2 of which won the JJ Liston, but didn't have the tools to offer anything worth selecting for the next level up.

Conor Nash
"Nashy played just a half and was very important for us. He's in a really fine run of form. We really struggled in the third quarter onwards without him, our forward structure lost a lot which showed how important he is to the side."

Conor Nash
"Nash was really good again, he is in a rich vein of form. He is playing good, solid footy. His contested work has improved a lot over the last few weeks. We've been really impressed with his work recently."

Conor Nash
"Nash was outstanding. He kicked two goals and had a hand in another four goals which he could have kicked himself if not for some selfless play in the front half. His ability to work up the ground to create outlets for our defenders as well as his work ethic to get back inside 50 has been really pleasing. He has been a consistent contributor for us."

Conor Nash
"Nashy had a good game this week. He had a bit of a different role this week, it was blowing a gale and it was pretty wet so Nashy was forced to change his game a bit which he did really well. He typically plays a bit of an up-and-down-the-ground style game but this week he played more of a contested game and did that really well. I reckon half of his possessions were contested and from one-on-one wins which was a really good way to put himself on show. His pressure, tackling and physicality were also very good."
:think:
All sounds pretty subjective though

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash is still young and he’s still raw in his development. He is not yet a finished product. We’re no good, we have kept him on the list and he’s been solid at Box Hill. Worth another look. CJ has shown the value in persisting with players who still have development in them. The guys I don’t like to see us picking are the finished products who we know are not up to standard but persevere with them anyway (fortunately we just dropped a tall one).

Why lie?

Conor Nash

Conor Nash

Conor Nash

Conor Nash

Funny how Nash doing that in practice games doesn’t mean anything, but when Greaves, Downie or someone else have 1 or 2 good games and it means that they should be given games at senior level.
C'mon, you know that these reports are all rosey and not something to be taken as gospel. They're never going to post anything negative about a player. You're better than this.

I've asked quite a few who were at the games and their general consensus was he hardly sighted except for the one game. I trust their opinion because they're not going to turn their opinions into a puff piece.

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Mitchell, JOM, Worpel and Wingard as staple midfielders - with Cousins, Breust, Phillips and Moore rotating through there.
I might even add Cousins to the staple and Shiels to the rotations.

When your team is 3rd last in clearances and 2nd last in inside 50's, then why not search for more answers?

Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cousins has played well, in the one preseason game he played as well as the games with Box Hill, got a little knock in training and some how loses he’s spot, probably a lame excuse not to play him in Rd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back