Preview Round 5, 2021: North Melbourne vs Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium | Sunday, April 18 @ 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my perspective, Xerri's capacity to run out an AFL game must be the only explanation - I haven't actually seen him gassed at VFL level, but presumably the fitness people know better
With that last quarter performance, and with full game time im assuming, its hard to see how he cant run out a game at this point. But yea same, im no expert.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With that last quarter performance, and with full game time im assuming, its hard to see how he cant run out a game at this point. But yea same, im no expert.
He had a pretty interrupted pre season with a groin, I'd imagine the idea is once he has the done the work, he will come in and stay in. Another game getting some genuine rucking in the scoobs will be good for him

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bull crap he did. Campbell was atrocious.

I'm not arguing, because I want xerri in as much as anyone, but I think Noble's point is a structural one - Campbell's presence gave us two talls in attack, with a net benefit of 5 goals (3 to lackey, 2 to Goldy). Noble made it pretty clear in his overall remarks he'd sooner Larkey wasn't rucking, and if they're still working on Xerri, then Campbell's the only option - Noble can't both pick Campbell for structural reasons, and then pan his contribution

Last edited:
I'm not arguing, because I want xerri in as much as anyone, but I think Noble's point is a structural one - Campbell's presence gave us two calls in attack, with a net benefit of 5 goals (3 to lackey, 2 to Goldy). Noble made it pretty clear in his overall remarks he'd sooner Larkey wasn't rucking, and if they're still working on Xerri, then Campbell's the only option - Noble can't both pick Campbell for structural reasons, and then pan his contribution
He could have just said he was good for structure and we are looking to strengthen that this week with Xerri.

It is clear to everyone that Campbell isn’t afl standard.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty obvious the TC over Xerri decision. We need maturity & physicality around the football. We also want Goldy to play 50% of the time forward IMO. Xerri is a better forward, but TC would be the better physical ruckman at this stage.

I want to play the kids as much as anyone, but if this means Larkey doesn't have to go near a ruck contest & the kids get some physical support in the middle, then it's a yes from me.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm struggling to see what the hell Tom Campbell brings other than 'structure' which is basically big man to plug the holes in the sinking ship that is the 'Larkey ruck interval'.

I've seen his other games, I excused him, I saw last weekend it was deplorable & indefensible. If he pulls the same crap this weekend there is absolutely no excuse anymore.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In Big Tom's defence he was also a bees dick away from a half dozen contested marks in the forward half. The dropped balls and then his impersonation of a dinosaur once it hit the deck did him no favours, but I can understand that you back him in for the other reasons people have touched on and also hope that some continuity at AFL level sees him start to clunk them.

EDIT: That doesn't mean you persist if he can't get some personal mileage out of his performances, but it's Noble's (and most other coaches) first season here so I understand there might be some degree of a clean slate.

Last edited:
Pretty obvious the TC over Xerri decision. We need maturity & physicality around the football. We also want Goldy to play 50% of the time forward IMO. Xerri is a better forward, but TC would be the better physical ruckman at this stage.

I want to play the kids as much as anyone, but if this means Larkey doesn't have to go near a ruck contest & the kids get some physical support in the middle, then it's a yes from me.
I wouldn't know about the physicality part and his maturity has very little value considering his past performances have been overwhelmingly poor at AFL level. Xerri is not exactly Tim English levels of twig and has built his game around physicality. Not much point Tom getting an extra 5-10 taps a game over having a better forward and marking option in Xerri.

I would say it is more to do with Xerri's fitness and conditioning after his injuries.

How the hell does Campbell get another game after that putrid performance? Get him out and pump games into Xerri right now!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Another tall, even as inept as Campbell is certainly required. But given Xerri is fit and in reasonable form, it's puzzling why he doesn't get the nod. Can't do much worse than Campbell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And at what stage does Xerri say " bugger this " and take the money on offer from G.C. G.W.S. or St. Kilda.
A fair point. At the very least the coach is vocally recognising him as being in good form though, but that doesn't exactly compare to playing seniors.

As much as I'm hoping a second game helps things click for Campbell, and that he starts clunking those marks, history says that he probably won't turn his forward form around. In which case I reckon another good game by Xerri (I think it's actually round one this week, and not just a praccy in the VFL, which would give it more weight) sees him come in.

Seems like we aren't really thinking of winning the game. I know we are not much chance, but should still be drilling to the players that winning is what we play footy for. That may be part of the reason we lost last week, despite having the momentum going into the last quarter. There is no absolute desperation from the coaches to win it seems.

Seems like we aren't really thinking of winning the game. I know we are not much chance, but should still be drilling to the players that winning is what we play footy for. That may be part of the reason we lost last week, despite having the momentum going into the last quarter. There is no absolute desperation from the coaches to win it seems.

We better be....l have money on us at 12/1 :p

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We aren't still playing Campbell instead of Xerri are we?

Big Tom tries his very best but FMD.

Should only play if Goldstein is injured......that's it.

I think anything Campbell can do, Xerri can do better. Otherwise we may as well play Tyson over Powell or Phillips FFS

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We aren't still playing Campbell instead of Xerri are we?

Big Tom tries his very best but FMD.

Should only play if Goldstein is injured......that's it.
Should play when we have no other talls and larkey would have to ruck. Which is what happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back