Preview Round 5, 2021: North Melbourne vs Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium | Sunday, April 18 @ 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This lot are as bad as the facebook lot.

So people here see MORE than the match committee do? Campbell obviously fulfills a role, but because he doesnt clunk 12 marks and boot 5 goals, he was terrible and deserves tar and feathering.

Campbell straightens us up. Rucks strongly. The ball is delivered quicker and longer when he is there. Fullfills a role our match committee set out, not set out by a bunch of cheezel-munching internet freaks.

I think it might be a bit to do with experience too. I get the whole rebuild thing and getting games into Xerri, but every rebuilding side needs a top up with experience, especially against premiership contenders.

I agree with Noble. I thought the structure worked well last week, and as poorly as he played, he was critical in that structure allowing Goldy to rest up forward.

Xerri will get there, but he's not ready just yet. If he can take the primary ruck duties in the VFL while Campbell has a stint in the seniors for a few weeks until the coaches feel Xerri ready to take Campbells role that can only be a good thing.

So people here see MORE than the match committee do? Campbell obviously fulfills a role, but because he doesnt clunk 12 marks and boot 5 goals, he was terrible and deserves tar and feathering.

Campbell straightens us up. Rucks strongly. The ball is delivered quicker and longer when he is there. Fullfills a role our match committee set out, not set out by a bunch of cheezel-munching internet freaks.
i will not stand by and have the good name of cheezels denigrated

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also based on the draftee Q&A they all speak extremely highly of TC from a leadership perspective, so that may obviously play a hand in it.

Now c'mon mate.

You and Pykie (until cancelled) are two of the most "play the kids" and cut dead wood types on here.

Now you are claiming not the case due to Campbell leadership? Biggest case of cut in recent memory as no chance he gets a new contract.

Nup. He has to go.

Also based on the draftee Q&A they all speak extremely highly of TC from a leadership perspective, so that may obviously play a hand in it.
Has been fantastic the last two years from that perspective. Seems a nice bloke too. There is value in holding onto those type of characters.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now c'mon mate.

You and Pykie (until cancelled) are two of the most "play the kids" and cut dead wood types on here.

Now you are claiming not the case due to Campbell leadership? Biggest case of cut in recent memory as no chance he gets a new contract.

Nup. He has to go.

Yeah I am. I was calling for the 2020 list management decisions for 4+ years.

I’m not throwing the sads about Xerri not being picked though, because:

- he had an interrupted pre season
- he’s a ruckman who always take longer to develop
- I don’t think he’s exactly set the world on fire in the VFL and demanded a spot
- he’s playing as the number 1 ruck in the VFL which is great for his development post Goldy
- Cunnington & Goldstein are our only mature bodies in midfield rotations, with Noble wanting to play Goldy forward for extended periods

So I’m fine with it for the short term.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

- I don’t think he’s exactly set the world on fire in the VFL and demanded a spot
- he’s playing as the number 1 ruck in the VFL which is great for his development post Goldy
- Cunnington & Goldstein are our only mature bodies in midfield rotations, with Noble wanting to play Goldy forward for extended periods

Thanks for reply but I disagree with most of it. That's fine though.

I don't care if Xerri not picked, just pick someone else then.

Campbell has no business playing AFL footy in a heavily rebuilding team.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course he won't get a new contract but if Tristan isn't Xerri ripe then Campbell gets the nod. Real simple. Before that Zurhaar was our second forward target and he isn't even playing. Unless we want to relive "chip chip chip turnover" or "bomb it long to Stewart who is in front of Larkey" our next biggest lump of wood plays. Shaw found this out last year which is why Campbell and then Xerri played.

He's not AFL standard but when you have a lack of options it just has to do. Geelong will pump us 10 goals to 1 if we don't have another tall. Their defensive zoning is up there with the dogs and richmond.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks for reply but I disagree with most of it. That's fine though.

I don't care if Xerri not picked, just pick someone else then.

Campbell has no business playing AFL footy in a heavily rebuilding team.

You’d get better engagement if you replied with logic, Chop.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You’d get better engagement if you replied with logic, Chop.

Well you did engage so what does that mean? Unnecessary.

I would drop Campbell forever. He can show his leadership at training.

Play someone with upside as we are losing anyway and Campbell is wasting a spot.

Goldstein is a handy fwd but he is a ruckman and between McKay and Larkey for 5 minutes it's fine.

I don't buy this "they can't ruck as get injured", they don't and Campbell smashed in ruck anyway.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

images (22).jpeg

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

First round of the VFL this weekend, which will be a better gauge of Xerri's form (which from what I've read has been pretty good). My guess is that if Xerri and Campbell maintain their respective form from last week then they will switch next week. I think there are decent odds that Campbell's hands will be better this week though. Even if I would prefer Xerri in I don't have an issue with the coaches backing Campbell in for a second week.

Even if Campbell's personal form doesn't improve though there's an argument that his bigger and more mature body will have more structural benefit than if Xerri were playing. That said I would err on the side of Xerri being given a chance if Campbell can't turn it around but it's a case of wait and see. I think Xerri would personally gain far more from playing in the seniors than the VFL, but being big man numero uno in the VFL isn't exactly going to make him regress or anything.

It's an interesting discussion.

Larkey literally plays crap when he has to go in the ruck and gets gassed.

For the time now between now and when Xerri gets into the lineup, I don’t mind having Campbell in.

Campbell played his role, yes he didn’t hang on to a couple of marks but he can bring the ball down for our small forwards.

He also brings that more leadership onto the field which the draftees seem to love about him and that’s exactly what we need.

If Xerri isn’t ready then playing Campbell makes absolute sense.

Playing Larkey throughout the ruck must be avoided.

TBH if X was ready I’d opt to play all 3 of them.

Also unrelated but has Goldy’s contested marking gone up a notch?

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Campbell should play until Xerri is ready, it was clear the difference he made for Nick Larkey, not having to get smashed in the ruck every 5 minutes did wonders for his game. I know Campbell came in for Josh Walker but both should play, we've been on the short side lately and Walker doesn't really work as a ruckman.

Larkey literally plays crap when he has to go in the ruck and gets gassed.

Make no mistake there are people who like that it occurs and line up to kick him when it happens.

I think Campbell should play until Xerri is ready, it was clear the difference he made for Nick Larkey, not having to get smashed in the ruck every 5 minutes did wonders for his game. I know Campbell came in for Josh Walker but both should play, we've been on the short side lately and Walker doesn't really work as a ruckman.

Walker is an ok Backman and a makeshift sometimes forward.

Campbell definitely had more presence last week.

Walker should play back.

Make no mistake there are people who like that it occurs and line up to kick him when it happens.

It just puts unnecessary pressure on him, it’s good that we tried it so we can immediately rule it out. But it’s so evident he plays so much better when he doesn’t have to ruck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back