Game Day Round 5, 2021: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH* *CARLISLE 150TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they got the chocolates and that’s all that matters... but I personally feel like the past 5 or so years we’ve seen some average sides winning flags, starting with the bulldogs armchair ride from 7th, then 3/4 from the tigers with their chaos footy.

Maybe the talent pool has finally thinned out too far or it’s a sign of an even competition but I would back the saints and cats side of 12-15 years ago to pump any of the last 5 premiership sides. Would have loved us to come across a 3 goal GWS outfit in a GF... rather than playing a side with 17 all Australians like in 09.

Could also just be sour grapes 😀

Bulldogs are the only really s**t side to win a flag recently, they were no better than us last year and every thing just happened to go right for them. They have a much stronger list now. Adelaide were the best side in the league when Richmond beat them, they had a great list and depth. Geelong are serial no shows in finals despite probably having a list that should have won at least one. Port last year should have played off in a GF and probably won it. Collingwood were probably a better side than WCEs but didn't matter when it counted. One thing I hope St Kilda learnt from 2009 and 2010 is that you have to make it count when you get there. It's a small window at the top unless everything goes right and you arse a dynasty. I don't think Richmond are the best list but their system and structure hold up against most and Dusty is the best finals player I have seen in my lifetime. Probably the most dominant player as well.

True story.

Dan Butler has never lost a game he has kicked 3+ goals in.

Talk about being a barometer.
Max King is the same.
And Jake Carlisle has never played in a losing side when he’s kicked 4+

Tonight is a great opportunity to make a statement and announce ourselves on the big stage as the team everyone expected us to be in the preseason.

We need to play high pressure, fast football, and just run Richmond off their legs. And not being 3 goal down after the first 5 minutes would be a huge improvement too. They don't play Marvel that great so this is a great opportunity in front of us tonight.

Saints by 18.
Lonie to kick 4. Coffield to regain his best form with 7 intercept marks.
D Mac with a bone crunching tackle on Dusty to spark a big last quarter.

I think if it's only a few goals in it Richmond win. We really have to blow them out of the water and hope we can hold them back long enough. Our defence is a mess still and if our mids can hold up we hopefully don't don't give them much supply. I doubt we beat them in a shoot out. Need to play that pressurised footy we played against WC.

To me Crouch is our weapon, Steele and him need to go to work and try to get first use with cameos from Bytel. Crouch needs one of his huge prime mover games, he had 43 disposals (10 clearances, 17 contested possessions) against Richmond in 2019 so he doesn't have any lasting psychological damage from the GF loss.

Richmond aren't a huge clearance side preferring to win the ball back through pressure and turn over, they got us on contested work and clearance last time. We have added to our arsenal now and should negate the way they got us last time.

In a season where anything can happen, why couldn’t the Saints beat a vulnerable Richmond? You match up great and have conflicting gamestyles. I don’t even like the Saints but it is undeniable that you play an exciting brand of Footy that has the potential to cause upsets. Should you beat them, I think it goes a long way to shutting up any doubters as to what the potential of this side is.

An unbiased prediction? I think the Saints just get up. Why? King has all the parameters to beat Balta. Membrey is an elite 2nd tall and if he takes the 3rd defender then he’s in good shape. Butler will likely have minimal output but a huge impact on the game if he takes Grimes up the field for a run, minimising the chance that someone as good as him will fall back into the hole or go 3rd man up. Bytel is one of few players with capacity to minimise Dustys output, I also think that Carlisle is an excellent matchup on Dusty when he goes forward.

best of luck, no shame in losing this one despite what the media will say if you do.

Well they got the chocolates and that’s all that matters... but I personally feel like the past 5 or so years we’ve seen some average sides winning flags, starting with the bulldogs armchair ride from 7th, then 3/4 from the tigers with their chaos footy.

Maybe the talent pool has finally thinned out too far or it’s a sign of an even competition but I would back the saints and cats side of 12-15 years ago to pump any of the last 5 premiership sides. Would have loved us to come across a 3 goal GWS outfit in a GF... rather than playing a side with 17 all Australians like in 09.

Could also just be sour grapes 😀
I don't think it's sour grapes to wish we came up against a weaker opposition in the 2009 GF - that's how Geelong broke their drought. And that gave them confidence to beat us and Collingwood in the next three years or so after that

Big game tonight. Big show if the 5 day recovery doesn’t hurt. Usually the mids decide the game but tigers talls have gotten us a few times. Control the midfield which I think we are stronger and so their ball movement and make them bomb. Yes they love bombing anyway but if the bomb it should only be the smalls that beat us even though their 2 talls are pretty good on the ground. Martin must be stopped when forward which I’d suggest will be 60% of the night. Probably only play midfield around57% and down back2%.

You forgot about his 0.02% time in the ruck Pluggs, amateur stuff

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think if it's only a few goals in it Richmond win. We really have to blow them out of the water and hope we can hold them back long enough. Our defence is a mess still and if our mids can hold up we hopefully don't don't give them much supply. I doubt we beat them in a shoot out. Need to play that pressurised footy we played against WC.

To me Crouch is our weapon, Steele and him need to go to work and try to get first use with cameos from Bytel. Crouch needs one of his huge prime mover games, he had 43 disposals (10 clearances, 17 contested possessions) against Richmond in 2019 so he doesn't have any lasting psychological damage from the GF loss.

Richmond aren't a huge clearance side preferring to win the ball back through pressure and turn over, they got us on contested work and clearance last time. We have added to our arsenal now and should negate the way they got us last time.
Agree. Our best chance of winning in dominating in the middle. Dusty aside, thats probably their weakest part of the ground since they are so potent up forward and just have a great defensive system. Crouch and Steele need to play with the same intensity as last week, and Jones needs to be good to go because his speed is our real point of difference in there.

The more manic we play, the better. And if we can get off to a good start and jump them, then Richmond do have form of giving away dumb free kicks when they fall behind.

And someone needs to man up Shai Bolton. All the attention will be on Dusty but Bolton is who dominated us in the first quarter of that final.

Agree. Our best chance of winning in dominating in the middle. Dusty aside, thats probably their weakest part of the ground since they are so potent up forward and just have a great defensive system. Crouch and Steele need to play with the same intensity as last week, and Jones needs to be good to go because his speed is our real point of difference in there.

The more manic we play, the better. And if we can get off to a good start and jump them, then Richmond do have form of giving away dumb free kicks when they fall behind.

And someone needs to man up Shai Bolton. All the attention will be on Dusty but Bolton is who dominated us in the first quarter of that final.
Bolton is the player we should send Ross to I think. I know they were talking about sending Seb Ross there but not sure that's the right move as Martin will get the ball no matter who we put on him. Bolton can be quite damaging though and if we stop him at the source we can then get the ball. Let Ross put the clamps on him and have Bytel, Steele and Crouch do the grunt work. I back them in against Edwards, Cotchin and Graham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs are the only really sh*t side to win a flag recently, they were no better than us last year and every thing just happened to go right for them. They have a much stronger list now. Adelaide were the best side in the league when Richmond beat them, they had a great list and depth. Geelong are serial no shows in finals despite probably having a list that should have won at least one. Port last year should have played off in a GF and probably won it. Collingwood were probably a better side than WCEs but didn't matter when it counted. One thing I hope St Kilda learnt from 2009 and 2010 is that you have to make it count when you get there. It's a small window at the top unless everything goes right and you arse a dynasty. I don't think Richmond are the best list but their system and structure hold up against most and Dusty is the best finals player I have seen in my lifetime. Probably the most dominant player as well.
I reckon the Dogs won because their mids/ onballers moved the ball quicker than any other team, and caught everyone out that season, plus they got away with a lot of throwing posing as handballs on the GF

Bolton is the player we should send Ross to I think. I know they were talking about sending Seb Ross there but not sure that's the right move as Martin will get the ball no matter who we put on him. Bolton can be quite damaging though and if we stop him at the source we can then get the ball. Let Ross put the clamps on him and have Bytel, Steele and Crouch do the grunt work. I back them in against Edwards, Cotchin and Graham.
I dont know if Ross has the speed to go with Bolton.

Maybe Jones is better. Would make Bolton also be accountable, and Jones is more likely to be super physical with him which I'm not sure Bolton has a lot of experience with.

I dont know if Ross has the speed to go with Bolton.

Maybe Jones is better. Would make Bolton also be accountable, and Jones is more likely to be super physical with him which I'm not sure Bolton has a lot of experience with.
Ross is quicker than people give him credit for. I see your point with Jones but I feel that's robbing Peter to pay Paul - Jones MUST be on the outside of the coal face to get the ball inside fifty - that's when we started to get on top of the Eagles.

I reckon the Dogs won because their mids/ onballers moved the ball quicker than any other team, and caught everyone out that season, plus they got away with a lot of throwing posing as handballs on the GF

I think the umpires got caught up in the romance of the Dogs winning too. They had one of the best runs of umpiring I have ever witnessed.

Just on Ross and his speed - he had 25 sprint efforts with a top speed of 32.5 which was fifth highest on the day. So he can absolutely be quick when we wants to.

Ross is quicker than people give him credit for. I see your point with Jones but I feel that's robbing Peter to pay Paul - Jones MUST be on the outside of the coal face to get the ball inside fifty - that's when we started to get on top of the Eagles.
Good point, Jones going full attacking mode was huge for us on Saturday and we are going to need him doing that if we want to win this.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't tag anyone at all and just go with a head-to-head set up.

Play him up at CHF and get him moving around- put pressure on Richmond intercept markers.

I would try that. Max CHF leading from a bit deeper in and Carlisle standing at FF in Max's stand and deliver role. Carlisle is probably more likely to pluck the contested marks out anyway. Max can get off the chain a bit and play like his free range twin.

I think the umpires got caught up in the romance of the Dogs winning too. They had one of the best runs of umpiring I have ever witnessed.
This.

20-8 in the grand final and something like 23-13 in the prelim - even beat the Eagles over there 17-13 (nobody beats the eagles in Perth in free kicks) and beat the supposed "Free Kick Hawthorn" 19-14

32 free kick differential in the finals series.

Not to mention the week off let them get players back too. That week off doesn't exist and they don't get past week one imo

Good point, Jones going full attacking mode was huge for us on Saturday and we are going to need him doing that if we want to win this.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't tag anyone at all and just go with a head-to-head set up.
I wouldn't be surprised too. In fact, that would be better because Richmond have so many hard working players that can just have their day any time, EVERY player needs to be accountable - I think that's all there is to it.

I hope we don't get sucked in to negating. I think our midfield is finally starting to have quality depth, we should be confident that if we play well ewe can beat them, especially without Prestia. Cotchin, Edwards and Bolton on his day are all brilliant but Crouch, Steele and Jones is pretty damn solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back