Game Day Round 5, 2021: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH* *CARLISLE 150TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our shared are still pretty low. Not one person in the Age has tipped us.

If last week was to save our season, this week is to launch. People will pay attention again if we win this.

Can't wait.
If I remember correctly all The Age tipsters picked us the beat the Bombers and guess what - we showed 'em! Hoping for the same tonight!

DMac could probably go with Bolton, but may keep one of Houli or Short honest.

Ross/Wilkie is probbaly our best combo for Dusty, but as Ratts mentioned limiting him to 1 goal and 25, rather than 2-3 and 35 :oops:

DMac should have his hands full with Houli this week. He has been playing as the half forward wingman type role. He should be the direct opponent of Houli and traditionally he's been the one player who gets us every time. If age and D Mac can make him earn every touch we probably have a very good chance. Houli is almost their most important player. He's their director and architect off half back.

DMac could probably go with Bolton, but may keep one of Houli or Short honest.

Ross/Wilkie is probbaly our best combo for Dusty, but as Ratts mentioned limiting him to 1 goal and 25, rather than 2-3 and 35 :oops:
Id love to see Steele and Dusty go head to head tonight in the middle.

But Wilkie goes to him when he goes forward.

Just on Ross and his speed - he had 25 sprint efforts with a top speed of 32.5 which was fifth highest on the day. So he can absolutely be quick when we wants to.
He and the team need to keep this up. This type of chasing may not get you a stat, but it forces the ball carrier to also run at high speed, which makes it harder to hit an effective kick;)

He and the team need to keep this up. This type of chasing may not get you a stat, but it forces the ball carrier to also run at high speed, which makes it harder to hit an effective kick;)
Exactly, put the pressure on - chase, corral, whatever it takes to make them cough the ball up

This is one of the reasons Lonie won't get dropped anytime soon, IMO. He runs harder and puts in more repeat sprints than most.

This is one of the reasons Lonie won't get dropped anytime soon, IMO. He runs harder and puts in more repeat sprints than most.
Exactly this. His work rate is exceptional in attack keeping up an average speed of 8.6km/h - again doesn't get a stat but shows how hard he is trying. Would be nice to get a few goals to keep the wolves from the door though.

Last week’s second half was the most exciting thing I’ve seen from the Saints in probably a decade.

we were bloody fun to watch last year and they gave me some joy. But the second half last week was the type of footy that can actually put you in contention.

expectations were low heading into the game. But the attitude was best demonstrated, in my opinion, by diving smother attempts. Only one or two diving smothers came off (one resulting in a goal a few possessions later) but there were probably 9-10 attempts from players. That, coupled with our tackling and chasing, seemed to be contagious. Our players bought in.

There was a period in the 4th quarter where the play stayed on the opposite side from the interchange and we couldn’t rotate. Carlisle was absolutely exhausted. But he made contest after contest and didn’t give NicNat a look in. He eventually got off and looked like he could barely lift his legs. His attitude though was to fight through it and to contest again and again and again against a huge player. It is contagious.

the Eagles result gives us the chance to pull this season out of the fire after some disappointment. It surely does wonders for our confidence. I reckon we need to beat one of the Tigers or Power, go 3-3 and attack the season from there.

After a 5 day break against the reigning premier, this is an extraordinary challenge, but also the best possible litmus test for us. Can we do it consistently? Can that effort be the benchmark? Will we be flaky or have we rediscovered our best brand of football?

Many questions may be answered tonight against the benchmark of the league, and I’m excited for those questions to be asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 things.

Pressure

Lower your eyes.

Do that and we'll give this a shake

The lower your eyes bit is still a massive question mark.

Even when we were steamrolling over westcoast; many, many of our goals were from chaosballs forward on top of our forwards heads.

Off the charts (ie impossible to replicate every week) pressure turned these i50s into goals in the 2nd half last week.... but that is hardly a receipe for sustained success.

Especially when the new rule changes are making it easier than ever for opposition to play kick-mark-kick-mark all the way up the field.

The good news for this week is that our chaosball i50 style is one that richmond play too, so it shouldn't hurt us too much playing that way tonight.

Ie- the tigers will likely turn it over to us just as often as we do... so no harm done.

I think our mids will struggle to win enough ball though, so I'm tipping the tigers by a few goals.

Tonight is a great opportunity to make a statement and announce ourselves on the big stage as the team everyone expected us to be in the preseason.

We need to play high pressure, fast football, and just run Richmond off their legs. And not being 3 goal down after the first 5 minutes would be a huge improvement too. They don't play Marvel that great so this is a great opportunity in front of us tonight.

Saints by 18.
Lonie to kick 4. Coffield to regain his best form with 7 intercept marks.
D Mac with a bone crunching tackle on Dusty to spark a big last quarter.
I hope it starts by keeping players in their best positions and letting guys like Coff do what they're beast at, rather than locking down on a KPP.
With Doogs, Wilkie, Coff and Jake we have a powerful intercept marking group that fits into killing Richmond's game plan, so I hope we do the right thing and let our boys play their game..

The lower your eyes bit is still a massive question mark.

Even when we were steamrolling over westcoast; many, many of our goals were from chaosballs forward on top of our forwards heads.

Off the charts (ie impossible to replicate every week) pressure turned these i50s into goals in the 2nd half last week.... but that is hardly a receipe for sustained success.

Especially when the new rule changes are making it easier than ever for opposition to play kick-mark-kick-mark all the way up the field.

The good news for this week is that our chaosball i50 style is one that richmond play too, so it shouldn't hurt us too much playing that way tonight.

Ie- the tigers will likely turn it over to us just as often as we do... so no harm done.

I think our mids will struggle to win enough ball though, so I'm tipping the tigers by a few goals.
I think we played it perfectly on the 2nd half. Lowered our eyes and kicked into space when it was on but also got the ball in long and deep other times.

Long deep kicks is what brings our smalls into the game so we can't totally cut it out and it keeps the opposition guessing.

I've been calling for the ball out on front of King more like many but I think we had the mix right last week.

I hope it starts by keeping players in their best positions and letting guys like Coff do what they're beast at, rather than locking down on a KPP.
With Doogs, Wilkie, Coff and Jake we have a powerful intercept marking group that fits into killing Richmond's game plan, so I hope we do the right thing and let our boys play their game..
Agreed. What was so successful last week, and last year, was letting the players ustlise their strengths rather than focus too much on what the opposition was doing. And thats what we are going to have to do if we want to beat Richmond.

I'll be pretty annoyed if we go back straight to Battle on the wing and Hill spending large amounts of time in defence because we know that doesnt work.

Agreed. What was so successful last week, and last year, was letting the players ustlise their strengths rather than focus too much on what the opposition was doing. And thats what we are going to have to do if we want to beat Richmond.

I'll be pretty annoyed if we go back straight to Battle on the wing and Hill spending large amounts of time in defence because we know that doesnt work.
I don't think we will go back to it - it makes much more sense to stick with what actually worked last weekend rather than what didn't the two weeks prior.

I hope we don't get sucked in to negating. I think our midfield is finally starting to have quality depth, we should be confident that if we play well ewe can beat them, especially without Prestia. Cotchin, Edwards and Bolton on his day are all brilliant but Crouch, Steele and Jones is pretty damn solid.
Yeah I'm thinking the same. We have some good grunt now so we need to start backing our group to do the job like last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back